Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General

Notices

S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General Forum for the P3-platform 60-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

fuel additives

Views : 2127

Replies : 29

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Nov 14th, 2018, 09:12   #21
Zebster
Upstanding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baxlin View Post
Could part of the reason for not worrying be that at the rate for instance Millers is added, 50ml to 50ltrs, ie 1:1000, it doesn’t displace much?
0.1% here, 0.1% there, it all adds up! And we haven't got a clue about the concentration percentages for all additives in all fuels.

Possibly the fuel companies are stealing from us twice... charging us extra for premium fuels whilst substituting cheap snake oils for actual fuel?
Old Nov 14th, 2018, 11:05   #22
iain cooper

I always used Shell V Power in all my cars, diesel and petrol.

I don't do a high mileage so the cost is not a factor for me, and save up the Shell points

I did use Redex and Molyslip 45 years ago in my older Cortinas and Heralds, etc, but would never consider additives nowadays, due to the progress in engine design and fuels such as V Power and Ultimate.

Iain
Old Nov 14th, 2018, 11:45   #23
Zebster
Upstanding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by iain cooper View Post
I always used Shell V Power in all my cars, diesel and petrol.

I don't do a high mileage so the cost is not a factor for me, and save up the Shell points

I did use Redex and Molyslip 45 years ago in my older Cortinas and Heralds, etc, but would never consider additives nowadays, due to the progress in engine design and fuels such as V Power and Ultimate.

Iain
Are you simply assuming that these premium fuels have progressed in such a way as to render additives redundant, or do you have some information that you could share?
Old Nov 14th, 2018, 12:16   #24
iain cooper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zebster View Post
Are you simply assuming that these premium fuels have progressed in such a way as to render additives redundant
certainly for modern engines I would say yes.

Iain
Old Nov 14th, 2018, 12:49   #25
Zebster
Upstanding Member

Quote:
certainly for modern engines I would say yes.

Iain
But you're assuming. I haven't got a clue!
Old Nov 14th, 2018, 13:16   #26
iain cooper

taking into consideration modern engine design, modern fuels, modern lubricants, modern coolants, etc, along with manufacturers recommendations, it is a reasonable assumption I feel.

Iain
Old Nov 14th, 2018, 13:42   #27
Zebster
Upstanding Member

Quote:
taking into consideration modern engine design, modern fuels, modern lubricants, modern coolants, etc, along with manufacturers recommendations, it is a reasonable assumption I feel.

Iain
It sounds more like belief to me. But it's your money, so crack on and enjoy!

I'd like to say that I'm really not trying to be argumentative, just trying to find some facts; even the Shell webpage avoids facts and information and merely gives weak claims negated by weasel words in the small print:- "Actual effects and benefits may vary according to vehicle type, vehicle condition and driving style. No guarantees provided."... https://www.shell.co.uk/motorist/she...-unleaded.html
Old Nov 14th, 2018, 14:01   #28
mfresh
Nice person

Quote:
Originally Posted by GusGecko View Post
Im fairly confident that all the supermarkets are served by Greenergy who I *think* also serve Esso - they're a big supplier.

From what I've read, the core fuel is the same, it's the additives added that differ.

And as we pretty much know, the super fuels just have even more additives. (Cleaning power, cetane etc)
You are correct that Greenergy supplies Esso, but, for example, the refinery I am was talking about previously supplies bog standard fuel to Greenergy to supply to Esso, as well as supermarkets, and thanks to swap deals also supplies others (like BP) from time to time with identical fuel from the same tap, as it were

But the premium fuels are a different matter. BPs Ultimate or Jet's Sentinel for example have their own recipe of additives which make them unique. But what I don't know is what or how much additives are added, and whether they are needed or effective for a given engine and driving style.
Old Nov 16th, 2018, 18:22   #29
Burundi

Before the Volvo XC60 I had a Citroen C-Crosser 2.2 Diesel. a few months after I got it it started hesitating and losing power very briefly and then would be fine. I tried filling it up with premium fuels, mainly Shell V-Power, and the problem went away, whenever I went back to non-premium fuels, supermarket or branded types, the issues would reappears within a tank or two.

There is clearly a difference between the Premium and non-premium fuels, as for supermarket vs branded I don't think there is much if any difference other than price, I usually run a tank of premium through every 5th or 6th fill up to ensure I get some additional cleaning additives through they fuel system as I expect to run mine well into the 100k's.
Old Nov 16th, 2018, 21:29   #30
Tannaton
Bungling Amateur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burundi View Post
Before the Volvo XC60 I had a Citroen C-Crosser 2.2 Diesel. a few months after I got it it started hesitating and losing power very briefly and then would be fine.
All french cars do that... usually around 2pm... :-)
1977 Triumph Spitfire 1500
1976 Massey Ferguson 135
Tannaton is offline   Reply With Quote