Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S40 / V40 '96-'04 General

Notices

S40 / V40 '96-'04 General Forum for the Volvo S40 and V40 (Classic) Series from 1995-2004.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

gearbox problem

Views : 338

Replies : 1

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Nov 12th, 2018, 14:12   #1
andrew jack

Default gearbox problem

has anybody had experience of this?
occasionally when changing down from 5th. gear, I cannot get into 4th., & then I find I can't get 3rd. either.
this means that only neutral, 1st., 2nd. & 5th. can be selected.
after a moment or so stationary at idle speed, the problem will clear itself, & all gears can be selected. then I can move off & continue my journey.
has anybody come across this before?
if so, what caused it, & what is the solution?
many thanks,
andrew jack is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to andrew jack For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 27th, 2018, 23:42   #2
jmz

Ha! sounds just like my gear stick problems!

It's like stirring a big bowl of lumpy custard at times, sometimes I get 1st, sometimes third, it's like Russian roulette, but not much fun for the cars behind me especially at traffic lights ....most Polish drivers like to burn at least half a gallon of fuel in the first 300 yards.

I have, as I've been told to, read many postings, and believe the gear selector linkage on these things is generally rubbish and is often replaced.

Mines off to someone who has a bigger set of spanners than me next week, hopefully it will come back with fifth gear in a place that stops me from needing my arm surgically stretched.
jmz is offline   Reply With Quote