Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > Diesel Engines
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

Diesel Engines A forum dedicated to diesel engines fitted to Volvo cars. See the first post in this forum for a list of the diesel engines.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Error Codes P00BC and P04D9

Views : 842

Replies : 3

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Nov 9th, 2022, 05:37   #1
Adndy

Default Error Codes P00BC and P04D9

Hi,

I have a 2014 S60 VEA D4. Recently I have been getting reduced performance messages and engine management lights coming up on the dash. The error codes are P00BC and P04D9. I have had the EGR and cooler out twice now and cleaned them as well as I could. Car has done nearly 180 000mls so I'm guessing Volvo won't give any good will towards the repair. My question is are the codes related? Is one code triggering the other or do I have 2 separate issues?

Last edited by Adndy; Nov 9th, 2022 at 05:39.
Adndy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 16th, 2022, 11:05   #2
JamesAtthews

Hi Andy

I have had both of these, and I cleaned the egr cooler and it resolved them both. If I recall, the p04d9 is reduced egr flow, and p00bc code is related to maf flow, but for me it was linked to the same code, as once cleaned, both codes went.

I would also look at the sensor connected to the metal tube to the rear right of the engine block. It is a pressure sensor on the exhaust manifold which is known to block and I believe cause the p00bc code. Certainly worth a look while you've got the spanners out!

Cheers
JamesAtthews is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to JamesAtthews For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 18th, 2022, 16:50   #3
Adndy

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesAtthews View Post
Hi Andy

I have had both of these, and I cleaned the egr cooler and it resolved them both. If I recall, the p04d9 is reduced egr flow, and p00bc code is related to maf flow, but for me it was linked to the same code, as once cleaned, both codes went.

I would also look at the sensor connected to the metal tube to the rear right of the engine block. It is a pressure sensor on the exhaust manifold which is known to block and I believe cause the p00bc code. Certainly worth a look while you've got the spanners out!

Cheers
Thanks for the reply James.
The P00BC seems to have been replaced by a P0100 code? I think they both point to the MAF. I have noticed that these codes only seem to come up if I'm doing a short journey or very soon after start up, they never appear on a long journey. Not sure if there's any relevance to that but just something I've noticed.
I have had the EGR and cooler out twice now to clean them although it's very hard to tell how clean the cooler actually is. The top looks spotless but you can't see deep into it. Might have another go at it this weekend. It's more annoying than anything else. The car passed its MOT a few days ago. Emissions were fine so it's not something I'm overly concerned about. I'm more worried about any further damage that could be being caused by not fixing the issue.
If I do have another look at it this weekend I will also have a look at the sensor you mentioned.
Thanks again and any other thoughts or ideas anyone has please feel free to chime in.

Andy
Adndy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 19th, 2022, 21:45   #4
JamesAtthews

Never seen the other code, so cannot comment on that. When I've cleaned mine, I've used Mr muscle oven cleaner and a jet wash. It takes about an hour or so of repeated attacks to get it clear, and it lasts about a year, timed perfectly for the mot. I've tried other cleaners and not had any joy with them.
JamesAtthews is offline   Reply With Quote