Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 700/900 Series General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

700/900 Series General Forum for the Volvo 740, 760, 780, 940, 960 & S/V90 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Sticky/corroded brake calipers

Views : 2641

Replies : 63

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old May 3rd, 2020, 15:08   #21
J liddy

I alway s got my hex bolts off with the Alen. Key and a crack with lump hammer after useing releasing fluid a few times .
J liddy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to J liddy For This Useful Post:
Old May 3rd, 2020, 15:53   #22
mhuk

@ OP, I had the same issue 2 months back. The pad was stuck on for a long drive home and came free at some point. I decided to remove and de rust my front calipers. I removed the seals and replaced. New pads / discs too.

The rear driver side is rusty as hell. That's going to be replaced while we are in lock down.

electrolysis works very well.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 53c96483-68ff-4f9e-b004-82114bf0b0ba.jpg (155.0 KB, 28 views)
File Type: jpg 194e53dd-324f-4d3d-87fa-d12a639b343f.jpg (165.5 KB, 25 views)
File Type: jpg 20200318_070021.jpg (130.7 KB, 22 views)
File Type: jpg 20200321_140010.jpg (221.3 KB, 22 views)
File Type: jpg d5396a3a-533a-4c0e-b304-bbe660aacaaa.jpg (110.0 KB, 16 views)
File Type: jpg e0e5055c-21e1-4738-bc60-9268153e9a24.jpg (117.8 KB, 22 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_5925.JPG (164.9 KB, 18 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_5994.JPG (187.3 KB, 17 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_6011.JPG (154.2 KB, 20 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_6118.JPG (159.7 KB, 22 views)
Old May 3rd, 2020, 16:16   #23
dingov70
Master Member

Afternoon all , with regards to removing carrier bolts , it is good practice to fit the hex key ( preferably socket type ) and belt it into the bolt with a hammer . This shocks the bolts & hopefully breaks any corrosion bonding and drives the hex deep into the fitting . Lost count of the number I have attempted to remove after a weekend warrior only made use of the part of the hex hole . I also use the rocking method when undoing the bolt i.e.tighten the bolt ( odd though it sounds ) and then undo with a rocking motion . loosen & tighten slightly . This breaks the corrosion bond ( hopefully ) . I have resorted to a propane blowtorch to heat the carrier , again to break a corrosion bonding

Also it is becoming a better working practice to use a ceramic grease on slider pins / rear& edges of pads and wearing faces . I was in conversation with a braking component rep , who informed me they no longer recommend the use of copper grease . It appears that the coper particles may / can have an adverse effect on ABS system sensors . Many suppliers also provide sachets of molybdenum grease ( CV joint grease ) for the same reasons
Old May 3rd, 2020, 17:23   #24
jpliddy
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dingov70 View Post
Afternoon all , with regards to removing carrier bolts , it is good practice to fit the hex key ( preferably socket type ) and belt it into the bolt with a hammer . This shocks the bolts & hopefully breaks any corrosion bonding and drives the hex deep into the fitting . Lost count of the number I have attempted to remove after a weekend warrior only made use of the part of the hex hole . I also use the rocking method when undoing the bolt i.e.tighten the bolt ( odd though it sounds ) and then undo with a rocking motion . loosen & tighten slightly . This breaks the corrosion bond ( hopefully ) . I have resorted to a propane blowtorch to heat the carrier , again to break a corrosion bonding

Also it is becoming a better working practice to use a ceramic grease on slider pins / rear& edges of pads and wearing faces . I was in conversation with a braking component rep , who informed me they no longer recommend the use of copper grease . It appears that the coper particles may / can have an adverse effect on ABS system sensors . Many suppliers also provide sachets of molybdenum grease ( CV joint grease ) for the same reasons
hi is it advisable to use red rubber grease seen videos of using a smear on calliper seals .
i made sure the Alen key bolt hole was well cleaned out so the Alen key is deep into the bolt hole these bolts are big so may take a bit of cracking if these discs have been on a very log time you will need to be pacent but they should give up
may be some heat but im not experienced in that area ,!
jpliddy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to jpliddy For This Useful Post:
Old May 3rd, 2020, 17:28   #25
jpliddy
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhuk View Post
@ OP, I had the same issue 2 months back. The pad was stuck on for a long drive home and came free at some point. I decided to remove and de rust my front calipers. I removed the seals and replaced. New pads / discs too.

The rear driver side is rusty as hell. That's going to be replaced while we are in lock down.

electrolysis works very well.
hi that look good i have about this but never seen it done . amazing !
jpliddy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to jpliddy For This Useful Post:
Old May 3rd, 2020, 18:09   #26
Ian21401
Premier Member

I’ve read about electrolysis and it does seem to be very effective but have never done it. Those parts of mhuk’s look very good.

Since 2005: 1992 Volvo 940 estate 2.0L. Manual. Daily driver and workhorse.
Ian21401 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ian21401 For This Useful Post:
Old May 3rd, 2020, 19:26   #27
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dingov70 View Post

There shouldn't be any corrosion on the caliper carrier bolts as they should be installed with a thread locking compound that cures anaerobically thus excluding all air and with it, moisture.
Heat will help soften the compound but usually penetrating oils won't.

As for the copper grease excuse by the brake rep, you shouldn't be putting copper grease on ABS sensors anyway! There's no other way it can reach the sensors so it must be an excuse to sell more of their "new" gease.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpliddy View Post
hi is it advisable to use red rubber grease seen videos of using a smear on calliper seals .
i made sure the Alen key bolt hole was well cleaned out so the Alen key is deep into the bolt hole these bolts are big so may take a bit of cracking if these discs have been on a very log time you will need to be pacent but they should give up
Red rubber grease (or silicone grease, they're both similar) is a good product to use on the caliper seals Jim and is what it's supplied for.

Quote:
hi that look good i have about this but never seen it done . amazing !
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian21401 View Post
I’ve read about electrolysis and it does seem to be very effective but have never done it. Those parts of mhuk’s look very good.
I've been using electrlytic derusting for many years now, something nobody has mentioned is that with load critical components such as brake calipers, after derusting they need baking in the oven for a while, i can't remember the exact temparature or time but i normally do an hour at 200C.
This is to allow the hydrogen to escape from the component so it doesn't cause brittleness - hydrogen embrittlement is the technical term.

If it's not a load critical component, after rinsing and drying i normally get a coat of apint (if needed) on to prevent further oxidisation. If that isn't a problem, i wait 24 hours and use the rotary wire brush to burnish the surface which helps in long term prevention of rust again. There are some other treatments as and when necessary, sometimes i'll nickel plate an item after derusting.

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post:
Old May 3rd, 2020, 22:26   #28
lynns hubby
Master Member

I can never understand peoples thoughts on penetrating oils/fluids. Certainly if there is a thread to apply it to then you are in with a chance. In the case of the carrier bolts, the threads are non accessible and the hex head of the bolt is tight up against the carrier to the extent of creating a seal so the fluid goes no where except running off.
If you are really struggling with these carrier bolts because someone before you has not fitted the hex key in correctly or used the wrong size and mangled the head, then a small pair of stilsons can be used to grip the outside of the head and extra leverage with a pipe or similar will get them started.

I am sure I will get bombarded with people disagreeing but hey, that's what makes this forum so healthy.
lynns hubby is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to lynns hubby For This Useful Post:
Old May 3rd, 2020, 23:31   #29
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lynns hubby View Post
I can never understand peoples thoughts on penetrating oils/fluids. Certainly if there is a thread to apply it to then you are in with a chance. In the case of the carrier bolts, the threads are non accessible and the hex head of the bolt is tight up against the carrier to the extent of creating a seal so the fluid goes no where except running off.
If you are really struggling with these carrier bolts because someone before you has not fitted the hex key in correctly or used the wrong size and mangled the head, then a small pair of stilsons can be used to grip the outside of the head and extra leverage with a pipe or similar will get them started.

I am sure I will get bombarded with people disagreeing but hey, that's what makes this forum so healthy.
I for one won't disagree, see my comments above about the carrier bolts.

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post:
Old May 5th, 2020, 09:58   #30
dingov70
Master Member

Quote:
Morning , YES red rubber grease ONLY on caliper seals , anything else causes rubber to swell / deteriorate /disintegrate . Ceramic for any rubbing /mating faces , with molybdenum as a second best

You really are better off using a allen key type socket fitted to a breaker bar as these bolts can require a lot of torque from you to release them . I have resorted to a cordless impact gun as a last resort on one vehicle , that was fun as the thread in the hub stripped and required helicoiling