Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "General Topics" > General Volvo and Motoring Discussions

Notices

General Volvo and Motoring Discussions This forum is for messages of a general nature about Volvos that are not covered by other forums and other motoring related matters of interest. Users will need to register to post/reply.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Snow chains

Views : 2015

Replies : 42

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jan 27th, 2021, 22:49   #41
andy_d
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by foggyjames View Post
I really don't see how "experience" can compensate for this - AWD on summer tyres versus FWD on winter tyres:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=atayHQYqA3g

I've done plenty of driving on snow, and I will be the first to admit that no amount of skill I might have acquired in the process will deal with a mechanical advantage which results in a third of the stopping distance (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=elP_34ltdWI).

I pulled a Passat out of a car park in the heavy snow we had in 2013 using my (FWD) V70 D5 (wearing winters), yet my V70R (wearing Eagle F1s) needed pushing off my mate's nearly-flat drive a year or two earlier. It wouldn't move an inch under its own power. Was that inexperience stopping it moving? Was it hell.

I think what some older drivers are forgetting is that the tyres they had on their cars as new drivers performed far better in snow that today's average summer tyre will. Added to that, poor driver training and the arrogance of youth is nothing new. No, what's new in the past 20 years or so are dedicated summer tyres which are useless in the snow.

cheers

James

compare apples and oranges to "prove" your point all you wish, your wrong
you Forget/ignore a feww Rather critical facts

V70D5 weight Compared to V70R
Diesel power delivery V High performance petrol engine,
Poor choice of "summer tyres" on one car,

winter tyres are NOT the one and only answer,, but there is No point, your Clearly in the "dont know, dont care you dont know and wont learn" category

as for "you tube" links to "prove" your point , please just Dont bother, they are More than pointless, as with sufficient "looking on youtube" you can find links to prove/disprove the same thing,,
Old Jan 27th, 2021, 22:49   #42
Bashy
Aged Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveNP View Post
But we do tolerate, and even legitimise, poor performance. My 940 once failed an MOT for a brake flexi hose, the actual brake performance was OK, in changing the 1 hose I decided to renew both hoses and the discs and pads while I was at it, like you when I took the car down the road for a quick road test I hoofed the brake pedal like 'normal' and nearly headbutted the steering wheel. Winter tyres will make a difference but do we really get enough real winter weather to justify legislating for them?
Winter tyres dont do not mean good just for snow and or ice

From AutoCar

Quote:
The truth is, winter tyres are not only designed for snow and ice. They are also grippier and therefore safer than summer tyres in all weather conditions - even in the dry - so long as the ambient temperature is lower than 7deg Celsius.
Therefore, as our winters see many days Sub 7ēC, having winters tyres is safer than summer tyres on a 4x4

I prefer use snow+mud all year round and know their limitations

Last edited by Bashy; Jan 27th, 2021 at 22:55.
Bashy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28th, 2021, 11:28   #43
Briggo

Quote:
your Clearly in the "dont know, dont care you dont know and wont learn" category
Pot, kettle, black?

If you're happy driving around in a car with sub-optimal equipment for the conditions, be it snow or wet and cold then thats your shout.

I'll stick with my winters and all seasons and be happy in the knowledge I'll have zero issues without any of this magical training.

Oh and that I can do an efficient emergency stop.
Briggo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Briggo For This Useful Post: