Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "General Topics" > General Volvo and Motoring Discussions
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

General Volvo and Motoring Discussions This forum is for messages of a general nature about Volvos that are not covered by other forums and other motoring related matters of interest. Users will need to register to post/reply.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Snow chains

Views : 2022

Replies : 42

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jan 23rd, 2021, 13:45   #1
XAlp

Default Snow chains

Hi
I’ve a deposit down to buy a 2018 XC90 with air suspension.
I just read in the owners manual the max Volvo recommended wheel size for snow chains is 19”. The wheels on this one are 22”, and the vast majority available seem to be 20-22” - does anybody have the lowdown on this issue please?
If I put snow chains on the 22” wheels could it invalidate the warranty?
Is there a minimum size wheel for the air suspension, or if changing to 19” wheels is there any recoding that needs doing? I can live with the speedo being slightly out.
Thanks all and hope to “join in” properly as an owner shortly!
XAlp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23rd, 2021, 14:56   #2
andy_d
Premier Member

depends
do you want to rip the wheel arch with the snow chains or not

seeing as we do not get sufficient snow in most parts of the uk most years to warrant the Need for snow chains,, whats your issue,
if it is that you can not drive in snow, then rather than mess about with snow chains/snow socks GO get some training to be able to Drive properly

or is this going to be Yet another SUV/4x4 left abandoned in 2inches of snow as the snowflake driving it is yet another clueless driver
Old Jan 23rd, 2021, 15:46   #3
Zebster
Upstanding Member

I know I'm not really answering your question, but I've found that winter tyres backed up with snow socks on the front wheels when really necessary (so once in 10 years!) gets my FWD model from our tiny hamlet on a single-track road in the Shropshire Hills the necessary few miles to the better, gritted roads. I can't imagine needing snow chains nor wanting the bother of fitting them!

Is Royston really that bad?
Old Jan 23rd, 2021, 16:36   #4
XAlp

Thanks, will look into snow socks.
Annual trip to the Alps. Carrying chains mandatory in Switzerland (not sure about socks) and sometimes need to use them also.
XAlp is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to XAlp For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 23rd, 2021, 16:45   #5
EssexExile
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by andy_d View Post
depends

seeing as we do not get sufficient snow in most parts of the uk most years to warrant the Need for snow chains,, whats your issue,
if it is that you can not drive in snow, then rather than mess about with snow chains/snow socks GO get some training to be able to Drive properly

or is this going to be Yet another SUV/4x4 left abandoned in 2inches of snow as the snowflake driving it is yet another clueless driver
Don't bigger wheels have lower profile tyres, ending up with roughly the same final radius?
Old Jan 23rd, 2021, 17:38   #6
Wagon Sailor
Junior Senior

You could consider 19 in. wheels with winter tyres and carry the recommended chains.

----------------------------------
Great spec; great build quality.
Wagon Sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Wagon Sailor For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 23rd, 2021, 18:01   #7
morwenna240

Quote:
depends

Steady, the buffs! The man asked a genuine question.

It is true, that we don't get the snow that warrants what they do in Switzerland and similar places. I feel the best general thing to do in the UK, is, if u live somewhere where snow can get u stuck, is to have a set of wheels with proper snow tyres on, studded or otherwise. Then just fit as occasion dictates, or fit in Nov, take off in March, say.
Personally, on my 240 est, i have a pair of "tyre irons" that u fold out an wind in to clamp onto tyres. These get me to tarmac, then i remove. They very quick to fit, don't need to move vehicle.

Just ask dealer about warranty/ diff wheel size stuff, pref get it in writing an signed, too. Y'health, an drive with light foot an bit of confidence. As in all endeavors, Mother Nature respects the brave, the hesitant end up in ditch/mouth of next biggest predator!
morwenna240 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to morwenna240 For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 23rd, 2021, 20:43   #8
XC90Mk1
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by XAlp View Post
Hi
I’ve a deposit down to buy a 2018 XC90 with air suspension.
I just read in the owners manual the max Volvo recommended wheel size for snow chains is 19”. The wheels on this one are 22”, and the vast majority available seem to be 20-22” - does anybody have the lowdown on this issue please?
If I put snow chains on the 22” wheels could it invalidate the warranty?
Is there a minimum size wheel for the air suspension, or if changing to 19” wheels is there any recoding that needs doing? I can live with the speedo being slightly out.
Thanks all and hope to “join in” properly as an owner shortly!
I have a 2012 XC90 and I run Michelin Cross Climates on it year round. They are summer tyres but have winter grip and are three peaks rated (suitable for snow tyres where required by legislation).

Regarding the 19" you will be able to fit without issue as the tyre aspect ratio will be taller hence you will have the same rolling radius so thats not an issue (provided the wheels clear the brake calipers which I am sure they will be).

The only observation I will have is that 22" wheels will be hard to source winter tyres for and cross climates etc. They will also be cr9p in the snow and mud etc as they are far too rubber band like with rock solid side walls.

I assume you didnt pay extra for 22" did you? If so I would be pulling that option off pretty quick. They will do nothing for the ride quality either.

They will look very cool (if you like that thing), but thats about it...
XC90Mk1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23rd, 2021, 20:47   #9
XC90Mk1
Premier Member

Quote:
depends

Its a fair question to be honest. Someone has bought a car and wants to know the impact of fitting snow socks/chains.

Personally I would not be too concered regarding fitment of said chains. Place on in the drive when you get it and lower the vehicle. Provided there are no clearance issues I would continue.

As detailed earlier I would choose smaller diameter wheels given the choice.
XC90Mk1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 24th, 2021, 00:39   #10
foggyjames
300 Register Keeper

Quote:
Andy - I know you have a "certain posting style", and I suspect it would come across just fine (and perfectly jovial) in person...but I'd prefer to not keep seeing your name crop up on the naughty list (this is two posts in a week, I think?), for both your sake and that of the forum team.

In this case, you've gone in all guns blazing, yet our man has a genuine reason for asking, and you've ended up looking like a bit of a tit...so perhaps just chill your beans a bit, yeah?

As for the OP...I would suggest a second set of 19" rims for winter tyres. I know it's an extra expense, but it sounds like a good kind of problem to have on such a nice piece of kit. And Andy does have a point - there's something rather undignified about being a stuck in a 4x4 while something "less capable", but with the right tyres, sails on by...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eyTM7ikH6Qo

cheers

James

'13 V70 D4 SE Lux
'89 740 Turbo Intercooler
'88 360 Turbo Intercooler
'84 360 GLT
'81 343 GLS R-Sport
'79 343 DL
'70 164
foggyjames is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to foggyjames For This Useful Post: