Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General

Notices

C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General Forum for the P1-platform C30 / S40 / V50 / C70 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

2005 1.8 Petrol High Idle

Views : 602

Replies : 6

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Oct 9th, 2019, 09:06   #1
Scrannigan

Default 2005 1.8 Petrol High Idle

Hi all,

New Volvo owner (always wanted a Volvo) already turning in to a labour of love.

I've had a 2005 Volvo 1.8 petrol S40 for about 3 months now.

When I bought it had a number of strange electrical issues, skid service or reduced engine performance light (but no actual reduced performance) would come one, indicators wouldn't work, wipers would go on full for no reason, after a bit of research including this forum, look like it stemmed from the CEM, so taken apart cleaned and put back in, all good.

Previous weekend developed a serious judder, check engine light flashed and then came on permanently, followed by reduced engine performance warning , got home and connected to OBD scanner, DTC was P0303, coil pack and plug changed, that fixed that.

Now I'm experiencing a few other little issues that I think are fixable, but need a little help.

Currently have a high idle when stationary, even after warm up/cold start it sits at around 1200rpm with a little bit of sway up and down, when depressing the clutch to go from 2nd to 3rdm, the feels like there is a notable kick up in RPM until 3 is in, compared to other gear changes.

I'm not too sure if its connected to the above, but ever so frequently I get reduced performance mode and goes in to limp mode, restart engine and the error goes away and there are no recorded or pending codes.

After looking at the forum it looks like theirs a couple of things I can do for starters.

1. Check for Air leaks- this seems straight forward carry out visual inspection of all vacuum hosing for splits, etc
2. Clean throttle body - this also seems pretty straight forward, however I've never seen the pipe clip Volvo used on the inlet hose, it's not a conventional jubilee clip, before I go at it, are they simple enough to remove? Just discovered they are called Oetiker clamps and require a special tool, am I right to assume that these can be replaced with standard Jubilee clips?
3. Clean MAF - This also seems quite straight forward, however when looking at my engine bay I can't see one, I have the throttle body a short hose and then it goes straight in to the air filter housing, any idea where the MAF is on this model?

Any other advice you can provide or where to look would be greatly appreciated

Last edited by Scrannigan; Oct 9th, 2019 at 10:56.
Scrannigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 9th, 2019, 15:46   #2
Scrannigan

Quick update: Just gone into limp mode and now throwing up a P2110 code
Old Oct 9th, 2019, 23:40   #3
lockstock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrannigan View Post
Hi all,

New Volvo owner (always wanted a Volvo) already turning in to a labour of love.

I've had a 2005 Volvo 1.8 petrol S40 for about 3 months now.

When I bought it had a number of strange electrical issues, skid service or reduced engine performance light (but no actual reduced performance) would come one, indicators wouldn't work, wipers would go on full for no reason, after a bit of research including this forum, look like it stemmed from the CEM, so taken apart cleaned and put back in, all good.

Previous weekend developed a serious judder, check engine light flashed and then came on permanently, followed by reduced engine performance warning , got home and connected to OBD scanner, DTC was P0303, coil pack and plug changed, that fixed that.

Now I'm experiencing a few other little issues that I think are fixable, but need a little help.

Currently have a high idle when stationary, even after warm up/cold start it sits at around 1200rpm with a little bit of sway up and down, when depressing the clutch to go from 2nd to 3rdm, the feels like there is a notable kick up in RPM until 3 is in, compared to other gear changes.

I'm not too sure if its connected to the above, but ever so frequently I get reduced performance mode and goes in to limp mode, restart engine and the error goes away and there are no recorded or pending codes.

After looking at the forum it looks like theirs a couple of things I can do for starters.

1. Check for Air leaks- this seems straight forward carry out visual inspection of all vacuum hosing for splits, etc
2. Clean throttle body - this also seems pretty straight forward, however I've never seen the pipe clip Volvo used on the inlet hose, it's not a conventional jubilee clip, before I go at it, are they simple enough to remove? Just discovered they are called Oetiker clamps and require a special tool, am I right to assume that these can be replaced with standard Jubilee clips?
3. Clean MAF - This also seems quite straight forward, however when looking at my engine bay I can't see one, I have the throttle body a short hose and then it goes straight in to the air filter housing, any idea where the MAF is on this model?

Any other advice you can provide or where to look would be greatly appreciated
if this version has the electric fly by wore throttle body BE CAREFUL. They have enough torque to snap closed and snap off a finger! you must disconnect battery and connector before attempting to clean the throttlebody. If older cable operated this isnt an issue. I'd get it scanned with VIDA, find someone on here or local who can help diagnose the codes. Sounds like an O2 sensor/MAF issue to me but I'm guessing really... get it scanned, go by codes.. best of luck
lockstock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 10th, 2019, 09:09   #4
Scrannigan

Quote:
Originally Posted by lockstock View Post
if this version has the electric fly by wore throttle body BE CAREFUL. They have enough torque to snap closed and snap off a finger! you must disconnect battery and connector before attempting to clean the throttlebody. If older cable operated this isnt an issue. I'd get it scanned with VIDA, find someone on here or local who can help diagnose the codes. Sounds like an O2 sensor/MAF issue to me but I'm guessing really... get it scanned, go by codes.. best of luck
Many thanks for replying Lockstock.

It's definitely an electronic throttle body, but I generally disconnect the battery when messing about, better safe than sorry

I'm now getting a P2110 code, so sounds like its throttle related.

The odd thing is I'd expect to see the MAF on the outlet of the air filter box, but can't seem to see one on mine

https://imgur.com/839FdRl
Old Oct 10th, 2019, 10:04   #5
lockstock

Quote:
Many thanks for replying Lockstock.

It's definitely an electronic throttle body, but I generally disconnect the battery when messing about, better safe than sorry

I'm now getting a P2110 code, so sounds like its throttle related.

The odd thing is I'd expect to see the MAF on the outlet of the air filter box, but can't seem to see one on mine

https://imgur.com/839FdRl
there is a procedure without Vida to force the ecu to relearn throttle position idle quickly. it involves disconnecting battery and a very specific procedure after reconnecting.. There was a video on youtube for a different car with duratec engine. try google search

https://youtu.be/ZNxXM75zJOw

Last edited by lockstock; Oct 10th, 2019 at 10:08.
Old Oct 10th, 2019, 15:00   #6
Scrannigan

Quote:
Originally Posted by lockstock View Post
there is a procedure without Vida to force the ecu to relearn throttle position idle quickly. it involves disconnecting battery and a very specific procedure after reconnecting.. There was a video on youtube for a different car with duratec engine. try google search

https://youtu.be/ZNxXM75zJOw
Many thanks Lockstock I'll give it a go after i've given it a clean, really strange development, just filled up at a different petrol station, CEL has gone and feels a little better, still not perfect, but bad fuel may not have helped
Old Oct 10th, 2019, 15:35   #7
lockstock

Quote:
Many thanks Lockstock I'll give it a go after i've given it a clean, really strange development, just filled up at a different petrol station, CEL has gone and feels a little better, still not perfect, but bad fuel may not have helped
hmmmm bad sensor? different octane... different fuel mix...