Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General

Notices

850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General Forum for the 850 and P80-platform 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

DIY Smoker

Views : 620

Replies : 5

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Nov 4th, 2019, 13:09   #1
stevepcar
Steve

Default DIY Smoker

Hi got an EML light & got 2:3:1 code. Most advice points towards a vacuum leak(s). So I have made a smoker to check. First problem is getting a fuel to produce enough smoke for long enough to get a consistent result. Any advice on fuel?
Secondly I have managed to trace a smoke escape, but it was coming up from under the EGR valve, so difficult to pinpoint exactly. I have removed the Fresh Air Intake hose from the MAFF to the Turbo. I cannot see any breaks in it, but suspect the seal around the PTC valve, also there is oil around the connection to the turbo.
Question has anybody had a similar experience & is this a fairly common point of vacuum failure?
I also got smoke coming out of the dipstick hole & a sound of rushing air near the fuel rail. I have changed the seals to the injectors & the seals that fit in the intake manifold, so no leaks from there. Does anybody know what that noise might be>
I know that's a lot of questions, but getting this T5 back to smooth running is proving a long & trying job.
Hoping somebody can shed some light on this.
regards
stevepcar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 4th, 2019, 14:13   #2
acshortt5
Volvo Nutcase

There is a rubber elbow hidden from view on the side of the inlet manifold (power steering pump side) which, if it's leaking, might be the cause of the "air near the fuel rail noise"

Check the vac tree by the throttle body, both the tree connections and it's seal into the manifold.

You'll always have a bit of oil near the turbo, if there's a lot and you are mopping it out then it's probably time to refurb the turbo.

The maf to turbo pipe tends to crack at/near the turbo connection end if it's the original volvo plastic one.

If the PCV system is original then the pipes become brittle and can crack and leak - if it is original I would replace it (and make sure the block connections are clean) as a matter of urgency.

There are a lot of vac lines on these and you could spend ages chasing leaks. It might be quicker and easier to buy some replacement hose (fuel hose is ideal, avoid silicone hose unless it's fibre reinforced) and just replace them.

1998 S70 T5 CD AUTO
Previously a 1990 240 GLT-R
acshortt5 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to acshortt5 For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 4th, 2019, 19:00   #3
Stumo

For a smoke source - I’ve used cheap cigars, also a cheap bunch of dried sage, which afterwards - as informed by the character who sold it to me - I could have cleansed my aura. I’ve seen charcoal briquettes used also.
With smoke coming out the dipstick - there is an updated dipstick and pipe available , where the dipstick has double o’rings. You must get both as the dipstick isn’t backwards compatable.
The Following User Says Thank You to Stumo For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 5th, 2019, 16:19   #4
stevepcar
Steve

Quote:
Originally Posted by acshortt5 View Post
There is a rubber elbow hidden from view on the side of the inlet manifold (power steering pump side) which, if it's leaking, might be the cause of the "air near the fuel rail noise"

Check the vac tree by the throttle body, both the tree connections and it's seal into the manifold.

You'll always have a bit of oil near the turbo, if there's a lot and you are mopping it out then it's probably time to refurb the turbo.

The maf to turbo pipe tends to crack at/near the turbo connection end if it's the original volvo plastic one.

If the PCV system is original then the pipes become brittle and can crack and leak - if it is original I would replace it (and make sure the block connections are clean) as a matter of urgency.

There are a lot of vac lines on these and you could spend ages chasing leaks. It might be quicker and easier to buy some replacement hose (fuel hose is ideal, avoid silicone hose unless it's fibre reinforced) and just replace them.
Thanks for that I've just tried a Volvo dealer & they say that the Turbo hose is no longer available on their system. Do you know of a likely source please
Old Nov 6th, 2019, 09:13   #5
acshortt5
Volvo Nutcase

http://www.skandix.de/en/spare-parts...-hose/1021053/

I'd try FRF swansea to see if they can get one.

There are also upgrades available for more money such as the snabb: https://www.fcpeuro.com/products/vol...-turbo-pfa-850

That snabb one has gone up a lot in price since I bought one a few years ago. If you go for one be careful when ordering as there are a number of variants with differing numbers of pipe take off's and sizes for the MAF sensor.

Or if you are handy at DIY you could make your own up out of silicone elbows and ali pipe.

1998 S70 T5 CD AUTO
Previously a 1990 240 GLT-R
acshortt5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 8th, 2019, 10:08   #6
stevepcar
Steve

Default Fresh Air Hose

Thanks I have sourced one from Skandix in Germany, reasonable price & includes extra hoses.