Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General Forum for the P3-platform 60-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Buying a used V60, petrol vs diesel and manual vs auto

Views : 4712

Replies : 36

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jan 20th, 2018, 21:51   #11
steadvex
Master Member

I thought the things about places charging for older cars was based on emissions level, nothing to do with petrol or diesel?

if its euro 3 or below you get charged regardless of fuel? I might of got it wrong but when I was reading up on it had nothing to do with diesel

Personally i'd get the diesel, as for auto or manual, I find the D2 engine works very well with the auto box, but as a rule I like manual cars, the D5 is much nicer in manual imo, but a decent remap or polestar optimization will help with the auto box if it really bugs you!
steadvex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 20th, 2018, 22:28   #12
dhr90

Quote:
Originally Posted by NigelDay View Post
Just a quick comment on car tax. If you find a D4 FWD manual, you will find the VED is a bargain £30pa.
Coming from a car that is £270 a year to tax, this is a big appeal to me! But then so is the power of that D5...

Fair points about proximity searches on the Garmin, although as yet its a function I have yet to use, digital traffic however is a godsend (most of the time), which could well be enough to make me continue to use my Garmin iv the Volvo system doesn't do this. I suspect I will still want a car with the satnav though for the larger screen and gives me the option of using either.
If I use the garmin, or indeed fit a dashcam, I'll likely hardwire the cable in and just take the unit off whenever not in use. But that is another topic entirely!

I feel diesel is probably the only option for me now (unless I win the lottery, then its a petrol V90!), probably manual, but I'll see how the D4 test drive goes and what gearbox it has before I decide what I'm after.

Thanks all!
dhr90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 20th, 2018, 22:31   #13
NigelDay
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhr90 View Post
Xenons, are they really that much better than the halogens? I know they should be, but they don't always seem to be.
Xenons. Volvo ones are very good, but not all brands are. Arianne (who many will know) was disappointed in the Xenons on his (now rejected) F-Pace compared to his old XC60.
2015: XC60 D4 FWD SE Lux Nav 190hp manual, Osmium Grey, 17" Segin, Tempa, Winter Illumination, Security, Family, DSP, 4C, HK Sound, Subwoofer, Front Parking, Rear Camera, Dark Tinted, Power Passenger Seat, Speed and Heated Steering.
NigelDay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 20th, 2018, 23:08   #14
Chrisv60

Quote:
Originally Posted by NigelDay View Post
Just a quick comment on car tax. If you find a D4 FWD manual, you will find the VED is a bargain £30pa.
The tax for the VEA D4 up to around 2015/2016 is even more of a bargain - it’s FREE!
Old Jan 20th, 2018, 23:44   #15
NigelDay
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrisv60 View Post
The tax for the VEA D4 up to around 2015/2016 is even more of a bargain - it’s FREE!
Correct. I was thinking XC60 D4 FWD.
2015: XC60 D4 FWD SE Lux Nav 190hp manual, Osmium Grey, 17" Segin, Tempa, Winter Illumination, Security, Family, DSP, 4C, HK Sound, Subwoofer, Front Parking, Rear Camera, Dark Tinted, Power Passenger Seat, Speed and Heated Steering.
Old Jan 21st, 2018, 10:32   #16
xsaab
Master Member

There was recent discussion I think on this forum re comparison of petrol and diesel emissions and particulate issues at the Euro 6 level , in that the petrol engine emits more particulates. Do some searches.
Re SatNavs - For major trips I use both Sat Navs and compare their routing, whichever route I choose the other satnav catches on very quickly.

The Sensus version has a less friendly user interface involving spinning selector dials or multiple button presses, however it does win if you use a smart phone with a calendar on it as one can send destination information via Volvo on Call app to the car - however the Volvo On Call has to be fitted to the car in the factory. With the Garmin device you can take it in the house/hotel/office and enter the various destinations in comfort.

The other issue is the quality of routing in the Sensus SatNav,, I did a couple of journeys from Lincoln and Loughborough to Petersfield. On both journeys the Volvo device wanted me to go down the M1 and round the M25 and then the A3 rather than using the A46, M1, to Warwick and then the M40 to the A34 then A272 which is a shorter route and apart from some key times is a faster route. The Garmin chose the M40 route.

The Garmin type device will sometimes lose Satellite contact in very cloudy weather, the builtin satnav is more resilient in bad weather. The Garmin does lose some signal strength if you have the metal wires heating windscreen.

However YMMV
xsaab is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to xsaab For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 21st, 2018, 11:00   #17
NigelDay
Premier Member

Agree ^^^. Similar experience running Sensus vs. Garmin. Sometimes interesting, occasionally amusing.
Old Jan 21st, 2018, 11:27   #18
Considered1
Premier Member

I’d have little hesitation in getting something like this, with your low mileage use any car should become a low miler under your ownership.
Auto everytime once you’ve tried them, although a newer D4 VEA would have the 8 speed geartronic which is better but prob not in that budget window.

Stick a warranty on it with the change from your budget and no worries.

http://selekt.volvocars.co.uk/en/use...-pack-nqbszbj7

For the record I have no connection with this car or the dealer and it was just a 5 min search to see what was in your budget you can prob do a lot better.
Happy hunting and Make sure you get a 24 hr test
Considered1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21st, 2018, 11:52   #19
pagan8c
Master Member

I had a 2011 S60 D5 auto and it was a lovely car to drive and I would say quite economical as well. I have since had a V70 and XC70 D5 autos and had no trouble with any of them with regard to gearbox or engine. I have also had thje New V90 with the new D4 engine and it was more economical but I could regularly get over 40 mpg on a run with the D5's. I would personally get the D5 which has the twin turbos 215 model which has all the power and still gives good mpg.
pagan8c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21st, 2018, 18:45   #20
Horton

My daily is a 63 plate V60 D3 5 cylinder auto business edition, and I absolutely love it. I’m not a fan of VEA engine, I think it’s soulless and the clutch is too heavy on the manuals. I’m sure it will grow on me, as I have my eye on an XC90 and I do like them!
You get very little posh stuff with the Business edition, but it has all I need and I don’t like leather... mine has a heated screen which I like lots.
Horton is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Horton For This Useful Post: