Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > XC90 '02–'15 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

XC90 '02–'15 General Forum for the P2-platform XC90 model

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Parking Brake: How hard should peddle be?

Views : 3569

Replies : 45

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Apr 1st, 2018, 11:13   #11
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tannaton View Post
Yeah - I get all that - and I referred to the Highway Code's versions.

But in the real world when did anyone ever get prosecuted specifically for leaving their vehicle in "P" Park and not applying the handbrake?

I bet £10 to the Donkey Sanctuary that the answer to that is never.

I agree it is best practice to use both but on many XC90's the "P" position of the gearbox is far more effective than the parking brake.
Leaving the car in P does not lock the wheels , they are still completely free to rotate , although in opposite directions due to the action of the usual differential gears . So , for example if you park on a steep hill just in P to hold it , which ever wheel has the least resistance to rotate (if there are wet leaves , mud , snow or ice or tiny loose stones under a wheel )you can see you car is free to roll back down the hill with that wheel turning in the opposite direction . The parking brake locks both rear wheels to the chassis so they cannot rotate at all .
Old Apr 1st, 2018, 11:48   #12
SwissXC90
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by S60D5-185 View Post
True but only because the handbrake on the xc90 is inherently crap!
Only when in bad condition
In good condition it works fine

I know, I've had both....
XC90 R-Design MY2009, Black Sapphire Metallic. HP-Sound, RSE, Nav, Tel, ParkingCam, BLIS, ParkingHeater, RestHeat, Removable Towbar, Summer: CRATUS 20x8 on Pirelli Scorpion Zeros 255/45, Winter: NEPTUNE 17x7 on Continental WinterContact 4x4 235/65.
SwissXC90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 1st, 2018, 21:43   #13
Tannaton
Bungling Amateur

Angry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clan View Post
Leaving the car in P does not lock the wheels , they are still completely free to rotate , although in opposite directions due to the action of the usual differential gears . So , for example if you park on a steep hill just in P to hold it , which ever wheel has the least resistance to rotate (if there are wet leaves , mud , snow or ice or tiny loose stones under a wheel )you can see you car is free to roll back down the hill with that wheel turning in the opposite direction . The parking brake locks both rear wheels to the chassis so they cannot rotate at all .
Quite true... so glad I haven’t got a Land Rover Defender or Discovery 1 or 2 where the parking brake acts on the rear prop shaft... oh sh*t I’ve just seen my signature and I have got one.......... better get a couple of bricks then?
1977 Triumph Spitfire 1500
1976 Massey Ferguson 135
Tannaton is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Tannaton For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 2nd, 2018, 15:34   #14
Father Ted
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clan View Post
Yeah, but really; I wonder if this has ever happened?
If the hill is steep enough to worry about that, then I'd be in P, with parking brake on and wheels turned into and resting against kerb (yup, I used to live on a steep hill).

But, talking generally, I need to get to the bottom of why this is happening and the pattern seems to be intense pain after driving the XC for a day or so. I'm going to check my cables and also the adjustment (maybe I've simply tightened it up too much).
In the meantime, I'm sure my common sense will let me know if I NEED to use parking brake, or if P position is sufficient in the specific circumstances I find myself.

And I'll add another tenner to Tannaton's wager. ;-)
Old Apr 3rd, 2018, 13:26   #15
trumpetdropper

This might be a bit controversial but the fault may not be the parking brake, but could be your seating position? - Personal experience!

My very petite wife drives the XC90 all the time and has no problem with applying the parking brake. Indeed when I get in it after her I can tell she has applied the brake better than I, due to the heavier thump when releasing it.

Whereas, I am a relatively big bloke (20st) with arthritis and struggle to get my knee high enough to set the brake with any decent force but I have got it to hold the car - retrofitting the manual adjusters help!

Notwithstanding the above and why I think it may be seating position is that when I drive the XC90 I suffer from very sore ankles and tendon strain afterwards, this I have discovered is partially due to the way my shoes rest against the back of my heels and it changes depending on the shoes/boots I'm wearing and the pivot point of the heel when applying pressure to the peddles.
When I'm driving a normal car my legs are out in front knees extended heels resting on the floor further away from foot. Whereas, in the XC knees are bent feet are nearly flat on floor so more flex of the foot is required on the peddles or movement of whole leg.

I have also noticed than the left foot rest doesn't suit me in the XC90, so on the motorway/dual carriageway (or wherever I can) I use the cruise control and put my feet flat to the floor and use them as little as possible. I am also looking to fit an accelerator plate (similar to a BMW) on the XC90 instead of the peddle, as I think this might help further.

I sure to some I'm talking complete rubbish, but as I am slave to my feet and leg aliments (hence switching to the XC90, because I struggle to get in/out of some "normal" cars) I'll consider and try anything to keep driving.
Old Apr 3rd, 2018, 13:42   #16
Father Ted
Master Member

Thanks.
I've just altered the seat position due to back pain. Believe it or not, I actually Googled correct position. I have the seat a little lower, but further back now and the angle to the Park brake peddle is a lot different. Maybe you've hit the nail on the head.
The Following User Says Thank You to Father Ted For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 4th, 2019, 22:31   #17
WrathOfKain

Quote:
Originally Posted by SwissXC90 View Post
i measure the following performance on brand new XC90 parking brakes:
0 clicks: car rolls freely
1 click: noticable drag on a flat surface, at idle the D5 is only slowly moving the car forwards or backwards.
2 clicks: easily holds the D5 motor at idle on a flat surface, in D or in R. Holds the car on a slight gradient.
3 clicks: solidly holding the vehicle on a easy to medium gradient
5 clicks: solidy holding the vehicle on a 17% (steep) gradient, pointing uphill, with motor in D (motor is providing some brake assistance)
6 clicks: holding the vehicle solidly on a 17% (steep) gradient, pointing uphill or downhill, with motor running and gearbox in D, R or N.

Here in Switzerland the brake must hold the vehicle on an 18% (1 in 5) hill. That is a very steep hill. It can, if it grips well.

I had my parking brake completely renewed 2 weeks ago.
You likely have rust or worn pads affecting the ability to grip.
At best a disassemble and clean.
At worst renew brake pads, brake disc and springs (this is what I had done)

Read my post describing the parking brake performance, when new, here in page 3 post #29:
https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showt...=279043&page=3

And then make a cup of tea and read my entire inspection saga starting at page 1 post #1 here:
https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=279043
Gonna give this a try tomorrow.
WrathOfKain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 4th, 2019, 22:36   #18
WrathOfKain

Quote:
Originally Posted by S60D5-185 View Post
Apart from being illegal that is a real bad idea as it is putting a lot of strain on a small pin in the gearbox for which it was never designed.
I have noticed when i engage the P it moves slightly back when on a gradient so always using the handbrake. Is this movement normal and is there a best practice on this i.e. stop - apply foot on brake - apply G/B P - apply park brake - remove foot brake ?
WrathOfKain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5th, 2019, 08:42   #19
Moose Test
Master Member

I make it a habit when parking up to:

1) apply foot brake
2) apply parking brake (which is in good condition and holds well)
3) release foot brake
4 apply foot brake again (to unlock gear selector solenoid)
5) engage 'P'
6) release foot brake.

In my mind, this is somehow reducing the strain experienced by the parking pawl, by eliminating all wheel and chassis movement prior to inserting it. Interested to hear opinions on the matter. Like many habits, it may not stand up to logic or scrutiny.
Old Nov 5th, 2019, 12:15   #20
Tannaton
Bungling Amateur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moose Test View Post
I make it a habit when parking up to:

1) apply foot brake
2) apply parking brake (which is in good condition and holds well)
3) release foot brake
4 apply foot brake again (to unlock gear selector solenoid)
5) engage 'P'
6) release foot brake.

In my mind, this is somehow reducing the strain experienced by the parking pawl, by eliminating all wheel and chassis movement prior to inserting it. Interested to hear opinions on the matter. Like many habits, it may not stand up to logic or scrutiny.
I think the above falls into the category of "good mechanical sympathy".
1977 Triumph Spitfire 1500
1976 Massey Ferguson 135
Tannaton is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Tannaton For This Useful Post: