Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '06-'16 / V70 & XC70 '07-'16 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S80 '06-'16 / V70 & XC70 '07-'16 General Forum for the P3-platform S80 and 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

S80 Steering/Suspension query

Views : 2198

Replies : 24

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Nov 8th, 2019, 22:56   #1
Kev0607
Premier Member

Default S80 Steering/Suspension query

Hi all,

I have a 2007 S80 with just over 102,000 miles. I've noticed recently that when I'm driving on a bumpy/uneven road, the steering seems to jerk/wobble quite violently when hitting the bumps? When driving on relatively flat roads, there's a slight wobble/shimmy in the steering when the tyres hit a slight imperfection in the road too. There's 18" alloys on the car, which were on it when I got it. However, I recently purchased new low profile tyres because the set that were on it when I purchased the car were worn. After I got the new tyres fitted, I got the car aligned (Hunter). I've also had the rear trailing arm bushes replaced recently, as well as new discs & pads all around. I've checked the tyre pressures, lug nut torque & they all appear to be fine, as do the tyres themselves (I thought I'd check their condition, eventhough they're only a few months old).

I find that this wobbly steering can catch you by surprise when driving on certain roads, so I've become accustomed to holding the steering wheel tight incase the steering decides to point in another direction when hitting a bump! I've also noticed a knocking noise when going over speed bumps, i.e. When the shock is raised upwards & a very faint noise when coming off the bump/when the suspension returns from the upward position to normal height. I'm not sure whether this could be linked to the wobbly steering issue, but I thought it was worth mentioning.

I'm wondering has anyone had this issue or may be in the know as to what the possible culprit(s) could be?

Thanks in advance

Last edited by Kev0607; Nov 8th, 2019 at 23:08.
Kev0607 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 9th, 2019, 08:46   #2
tommyweaves
Premier Member

It sounds like "tram-lining". The 8J wheels (which your 18" ones are) are particularly prone to it. The 8J x 17" wheels (Njord for example) do it too.

This tram-lining disappeared on mine when I swapped to 17" wheels.

FWIW, my MY 2011 V70 is now 9 years old and has 116k miles. I recently had a front wheel bearing replaced and I swear it's made the car less inclined to wander. The bearing was replaced because the tone ring was corroded and was messing with the ABS; other than that it was "apparently" ok. Jut thought I'd mention it!
tommyweaves is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to tommyweaves For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 9th, 2019, 23:03   #3
Kev0607
Premier Member

Thanks for your reply. I thought tram-lining may be a possibility. So I guess 17" alloys & a set of tyres to match is the way to go then? I thought the tyre size listed on the plaque along the driver's side door were the actual wheels that the car was designed with? The plaque on my door says 18" alloys require 245/40/R18 tyres if I recall correctly from memory & this is exactly what I have fitted to my S80, yet they're pulling all over the place? I would have thought the factory would have took this into consideration & specified a tyre that gave the most comfortable ride with the least amount of steering wander as possible to be fitted to their vehicles.

I don't think the alloys on my car are standard Volvo 18" ones, they're aftermarket & have a 'DRC' logo on them.

Last edited by Kev0607; Nov 9th, 2019 at 23:11.
Kev0607 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 9th, 2019, 23:11   #4
tommyweaves
Premier Member

Absolutely the car was designed for them, but it still tramlines!

If you're not fussed about wheel size, go for 7J x 17" wheels and the appropriate tyre.

If your car came out of the factory with 18" wheels (ot the 8J x 17 Njords) then it also has steering limiters fitted. These are mounted internally as collars on the steering rack, unlike the P2 cars where they were outside as a sort of "bump stop".

With 7J x 17 rims you don't need those steering limiters, and having them removed greatly improves the turning circle.

Sounds like a win-win to me!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to tommyweaves For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 9th, 2019, 23:16   #5
tommyweaves
Premier Member

Your aftermarket wheels may have an incorrect offset, which would make it even worse.

Have a look here for the correct wheel options for your car.

https://accessories.volvocars.com/en...#section_wheel

Click some of the "information" buttons and it'll tell you the offset and correct tyre size.
Old Nov 9th, 2019, 23:32   #6
Kev0607
Premier Member

They were on the car when I bought it & I just purchased tyres to match - They definitely aren't Volvo ones, so the off-sets could well be wrong like you say.

However, I thought you had to have the tyres/alloy size that was listed on the plaque on the driver's door though? I didn't think you could swap from an 18" tyre to a 17" as an example for insurance purposes?

That's a great link you sent, thank you. So any of those 17" ones (Listed as 7x17" would be okay to use? Are they the "7Jx17's"?
Old Nov 9th, 2019, 23:37   #7
tommyweaves
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kev0607 View Post
They were on the car when I bought it & I just purchased tyres to match - They definitely aren't Volvo ones, so the off-sets could well be wrong like you say.

However, I thought you had to have the tyres/alloy size that was listed on the plaque on the driver's door though? I didn't think you could swap from an 18" tyre to a 17" as an example for insurance purposes?

That's a great link you sent, thank you. So any of those 17" ones (Listed as 7x17" would be okay to use? Are they the "7Jx17's"?
If they're specified as an option for the car then it's ok with your insurer, I believe. But put it this way; a quality Volvo wheel is a LOT more acceptable for your insurer than an aftermarket wheel! Volvo wheels are generally much stronger than aftermarket wheels.

Ignore the "J" part of the wheel numbers, it's the "7" that's the important part.
Old Nov 9th, 2019, 23:56   #8
Kev0607
Premier Member

You've been really helpful, thank you. Do you know any websites as to where you'd find a decent set of 7x17's?
Old Nov 10th, 2019, 00:05   #9
tommyweaves
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kev0607 View Post
You've been really helpful, thank you. Do you know any websites as to where you'd find a decent set of 7x17's?
Happy to help, as most are on this forum!

Have a look for the style you want, on the Volvo accessories site you looked at from the link I gave you. Note the name of the wheel then go looking on Gumtree and eBay using that name as a search term. Also search under the part number. Beware of people selling "similar to" items. Look for a picture on the advert that shows the actual part number stamped into the wheel; or ask the seller to take a picture that shows it.

My target price would be £200 for a tidy set of 4 (without tyres). But the market is a funny thing. I got a brand new boxed wheel off a Volvo Dealer's website for £55 a few years ago!

Take your time, do your research. You've got plenty to work with now!
Old Nov 10th, 2019, 01:46   #10
Kev0607
Premier Member

I'll have a look online. Thanks once again for your help.