Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "General Topics" > General Volvo and Motoring Discussions
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

General Volvo and Motoring Discussions This forum is for messages of a general nature about Volvos that are not covered by other forums and other motoring related matters of interest. Users will need to register to post/reply.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

'Current' tyre recommendations

Views : 7249

Replies : 34

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Aug 19th, 2015, 16:39   #11
wisc

Quote:
Originally Posted by dme123 View Post
The Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetric 2 is pretty much the best sport oriented road tyre around, and also one of the cheapest decent ones so you can't go too far wrong.
fwiw, when I had a 2 subaru's not at the same time (before the chavs got them), I always ran Yokos (A509's iirc) as they had the best dry grip but didn't last long. I never really drive fast in the rain....I just don't like the chance effect tbh.

these F1's are definatly quieter, softer on the road & I can feel the difference in the grip before they are run in. I am obviously comparing bottom end tyres that were low with high end tyres that are new.
I haven't pushed it at all on the corners since I had the car, especially since the mte remap. I allowed for further stopping distances also on the motorway to allow for the sh1ttier tyres.

Last edited by wisc; Aug 19th, 2015 at 17:08.
wisc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 19th, 2015, 20:03   #12
DaveNP
Non VOC Member

At the risk of derailing your thread and starting another debate, put the tyres with the best grip on the rear, with FWD the rear end will slide but it breaks away quite sharply compared to a RWD which one can coax into a drift, and add to that, if the fronts have less grip you'll notice them struggling under cornering and acceleration before the rears have a problem which will give you a warning to ease up.

David
V70 2.5 10v Torslanda Manual 98 Sreg
DaveNP is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to DaveNP For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 19th, 2015, 22:12   #13
GP1

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveNP View Post
At the risk of derailing your thread and starting another debate, put the tyres with the best grip on the rear, with FWD the rear end will slide but it breaks away quite sharply compared to a RWD which one can coax into a drift, and add to that, if the fronts have less grip you'll notice them struggling under cornering and acceleration before the rears have a problem which will give you a warning to ease up.
Which on a FWD is normally the tyres with the softest compound as they maintain heat within the rubber..
Old Aug 19th, 2015, 22:22   #14
moorgate

I try so hard to stay out of tyre conversations. I find people are never ready to deal with their preconceptions, much less look at the actual realities of tyre tech, much less again things like ratings, noise, etc. The fact that vendors who can be bothered (that's not all of them) tune their entire suspension stack to work with the factory spec types, because tyres vary widely enough that the wrong ones will throw all sorts of things out, even when your suspension is working perfectly.

One of my cousins worked in the old Avon plant out in Wiltshire - he used to tell people he was a condom salesman, just to avoid "pub tyre bull****". Important details like the different way Michelin Pilots are built from other tyres, and the curious business of who owns who (cooper tyres is the case study here) make the tyre business a hell of a lot more like the wine trade, than anything else.

Brands I like (for what it's worth): Yokohama, Bridgestone, Avon and Pirelli

Don't Like: Continental, Kumho, Goodyear, anything Chinese.
moorgate is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to moorgate For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 19th, 2015, 22:32   #15
brickman
Premier Member

For wet weather and winter (without going to a full winter capable tyre) been very impressed with the new uniroyal rainsport 3's. The new version only came out 2014 and a lot of tyre places wont recommend them as the name was shared with an earlier not so great tyre.

IN the wet never come across anything better, however as you'd expect they do wear quite fast! I think I'm on 4-6k miles and already down to 4.5mm, been driving pretty gentle too!
Old Aug 20th, 2015, 08:04   #16
wisc

Quote:
Originally Posted by macs View Post
wisc, do you mind sharing what tyres you had on before you switched to Eagles F1? Good choice BTW.
Hi again, due to moorgate's post, I remembered what tyres were on the front:

Kumho's
Old Aug 20th, 2015, 08:10   #17
wisc

Quote:
Originally Posted by moorgate View Post
I try so hard to stay out of tyre conversations. I find people are never ready to deal with their preconceptions, much less look at the actual realities of tyre tech, much less again things like ratings, noise, etc. The fact that vendors who can be bothered (that's not all of them) tune their entire suspension stack to work with the factory spec types, because tyres vary widely enough that the wrong ones will throw all sorts of things out, even when your suspension is working perfectly.

One of my cousins worked in the old Avon plant out in Wiltshire - he used to tell people he was a condom salesman, just to avoid "pub tyre bull****". Important details like the different way Michelin Pilots are built from other tyres, and the curious business of who owns who (cooper tyres is the case study here) make the tyre business a hell of a lot more like the wine trade, than anything else.

Brands I like (for what it's worth): Yokohama, Bridgestone, Avon and Pirelli

Don't Like: Continental, Kumho, Goodyear, anything Chinese.
Interesting post moorgate.
I understand your 'who owns who' point without actually knowing 'who does own who'. I would probably get a shock no doubt.
I had to buy 2 new tyres quite quickly as I have too much going on in my life just now and when the car slipped, I knew that that new tyres would have to be bought immediately.
I see you say you don't like Goodyear's, along with conti's etc? can I ask why please?
Old Aug 20th, 2015, 08:12   #18
wisc

Quote:
Originally Posted by wisc View Post
I inherited 2 different sets of tyres when i bought the car. I can't remember exactly what the fronts were, but I seem to remember a chinese ditch finder make, never heard of them when I got the car & had to google to see what they were.

I have Fullway HP168's on the rear with decent tread on.
Kuhmo's
Old Aug 20th, 2015, 11:08   #19
spitz

This debate becomes even trickier when the car you've just bought already came with new tyres all round (as I've just done). In this case they were Nexen N8000's and were an Evans Halshaw choice.

I'm just grateful they picked something which appears (at least from what I've read) to be a reasonable compromise between cost and suitability and also hopefully means I won't have to go through this conumdrum for a while yet.

Having read through this thread I do feel minded to move the hopefully less worn tyres on the back to the front and buy new for the rear when the time comes. What brand is a whole other matter!
spitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 20th, 2015, 12:36   #20
Harvey1512
Premier Member

I knew a bloke who used to say he manufactured sanitary towels for the same reason as the mate of Moorgate. I can't remember the product he actually sold but people would always have an opinion about it so he came up with this answer. Always killed the conversation stone dead. Always fancied saying the same but never had the bottle.