Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > PV, 120 (Amazon), 1800 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

PV, 120 (Amazon), 1800 General Forum for the Volvo PV, 120 and 1800 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

J type overdrive

Views : 999

Replies : 8

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Mar 31st, 2023, 15:36   #1
packers1712

Default J type overdrive

Hi all,

Can someone tell me what size the nut is, across flats, that holds the output flange onto a J type overdrive please?

Doug.
packers1712 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 31st, 2023, 20:00   #2
powen1

Quote:
Originally Posted by packers1712 View Post
Hi all,

Can someone tell me what size the nut is, across flats, that holds the output flange onto a J type overdrive please?

Doug.
Doug, Had a quick look flangers from Overdrive to back of gearbox bolt mine is 15mm across flats
Paul
powen1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 31st, 2023, 20:14   #3
packers1712

Hi Paul, I mean the large nut in the centre of the output flange where the prop shaft attaches to the gearbox/overdrive you can only see it if the prop isn’t attached!

Doug.
Old Mar 31st, 2023, 22:42   #4
Derek UK
VOC Member

Not the answer you want but nut #380687 appears to be the same for all flange attachments. Means you may already have one to try a socket on? Nut is listed as NLA on the Scandix site.
Derek UK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 2nd, 2023, 08:02   #5
packers1712

It is 1 1/8” for reference, I removed my gearbox yesterday and replaced all the seals and gaskets in attempt to make my car fluid tight.
Annoyingly the only one that was definitely leaking was the O/D output flange but a purchased a set so replaced everything, quite ambitious to try and do in a day but I managed it!😬
I did find the gearbox breather wasn’t as clear as it could have been so cleaned that out, also discovered that the the reverse light switch housing was only held on with one fixing and there appeared to be quite a bit of oil up there!
I didn’t have a long enough 1/4 UNC screw to be able to fit a second so opted to create a blanking bung to fill the second fixing hole as it is a through hole into the main case, the reverse light housing has remained in place with only one fixing up to now so figured it would probably be fine!
No road test done yet so no conclusive answers if I’ve cured it but as soon as I know I’ll report back!👍

Doug.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to packers1712 For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 2nd, 2023, 08:59   #6
VolvoRoyS

Can the O/D rear seal be replaced without removing the gearbox from the car? That is just take off the prop, nut and lever out the seal?

Roy
VolvoRoyS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 2nd, 2023, 13:11   #7
powen1

Roy, Doug has an Amazon I have a p1800 although not a lot of difference underneath.:-)
I think its possible to swap out the end seal on the OD unit in place . Had a look at Mine and I think remove bolts from Prop and push back - but would drop the gear box cross member to give me access to remove bolt and pull off Flange the pic out seal. mind you may have to drain gearbox first ? not sure how much would come out :-)
good luck
powen1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 2nd, 2023, 13:27   #8
packers1712

Quote:
Originally Posted by VolvoRoyS View Post
Can the O/D rear seal be replaced without removing the gearbox from the car? That is just take off the prop, nut and lever out the seal?

Roy
Yes as Paul says it will allow better access if the mount is dropped down!

Doug.
Old Apr 7th, 2023, 19:48   #9
packers1712

Quote:
Originally Posted by packers1712 View Post
It is 1 1/8” for reference, I removed my gearbox yesterday and replaced all the seals and gaskets in attempt to make my car fluid tight.
Annoyingly the only one that was definitely leaking was the O/D output flange but a purchased a set so replaced everything, quite ambitious to try and do in a day but I managed it!😬
I did find the gearbox breather wasn’t as clear as it could have been so cleaned that out, also discovered that the the reverse light switch housing was only held on with one fixing and there appeared to be quite a bit of oil up there!
I didn’t have a long enough 1/4 UNC screw to be able to fit a second so opted to create a blanking bung to fill the second fixing hole as it is a through hole into the main case, the reverse light housing has remained in place with only one fixing up to now so figured it would probably be fine!
No road test done yet so no conclusive answers if I’ve cured it but as soon as I know I’ll report back!👍

Doug.
First impressions are good no leaks currently from the run out today and everything still works as it should after being stripped down so really happy at the moment 👍!

Doug.
The Following User Says Thank You to packers1712 For This Useful Post: