Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > PV, 120 (Amazon), 1800 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

PV, 120 (Amazon), 1800 General Forum for the Volvo PV, 120 and 1800 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Fuelling issue

Views : 1510

Replies : 18

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Apr 8th, 2023, 17:44   #11
Groundes-Peace
Master Member

Thanks again to the help given to me on this topic.
I seem to have a successful resolution for now.
Just to recap I found I had a blockage in the fuel line a few days ago. Luckily I was at home so no vehicle recovery required.
Having checked the fuel pump was not faulty, today I drained the fuel tank.
Then used an airline to blow through from the fuel filter back to the last connection before the fuel tank.
I had first done this whilst fuel was in the car yesterday, but it wouldn’t clear the blockage then.
Having drained the tank and filtered what came out, the concerning pieces are red rubber.
On reconnecting pipes, refitting the drain plug and tightening up all clips, the engine fired immediately and kept running.
I have just looked at Brookhouse’s website and can see the filler hose they supply has a red lining…..
I wonder when I have filled my car in the past with fuel up to the tank neck and even part of the filler hose, has ethanol ‘eaten’ into the hose lining, and that is what has caused my blockage?
What do others think?
My conclusion is that I should replace the fuel filler hose at an early opportunity.
Groundes-Peace is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Groundes-Peace For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 8th, 2023, 17:56   #12
Rustinmotion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groundes-Peace View Post
Thanks again to the help given to me on this topic.
I seem to have a successful resolution for now.
Just to recap I found I had a blockage in the fuel line a few days ago. Luckily I was at home so no vehicle recovery required.
Having checked the fuel pump was not faulty, today I drained the fuel tank.
Then used an airline to blow through from the fuel filter back to the last connection before the fuel tank.
I had first done this whilst fuel was in the car yesterday, but it wouldn’t clear the blockage then.
Having drained the tank and filtered what came out, the concerning pieces are red rubber.
On reconnecting pipes, refitting the drain plug and tightening up all clips, the engine fired immediately and kept running.
I have just looked at Brookhouse’s website and can see the filler hose they supply has a red lining…..
I wonder when I have filled my car in the past with fuel up to the tank neck and even part of the filler hose, has ethanol ‘eaten’ into the hose lining, and that is what has caused my blockage?
What do others think?
My conclusion is that I should replace the fuel filler hose at an early opportunity.
Most filler neck hose if you look at the description says not suitable for sustained contact, unfortunately on our estates that’s not possible and E10 makes it worse, I know the PO of mine changed all the fuel line rubber as E10 turned the old stuff to Jelly, I stick with E5 or use an additive if I have to use E10
Perhaps a filter directly after the tank would help
Rustinmotion is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Rustinmotion For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 8th, 2023, 18:33   #13
Burdekin
Chief Bodger

Worth taking the hose off to have a gander.

Realise you only use E10 OS but Esso premium doesn't contain ethanol.

Last edited by Burdekin; Apr 8th, 2023 at 19:16.
Burdekin is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Burdekin For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 8th, 2023, 19:21   #14
Bob 1967
Master Member

I have just read there are plans to introduce E10 here (by mid April), we are apparently behind Europe(not a bad thing imho) in introducing it. We only have E5.
I will have to be aware of potential problems that it may bring, in my old motor and its rubbery bits.
From UK Gov Site
https://check-vehicle-compatibility-...facturer/Volvo

Last edited by Bob 1967; Apr 8th, 2023 at 19:30.
Bob 1967 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Bob 1967 For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 9th, 2023, 07:06   #15
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob 1967 View Post
I have just read there are plans to introduce E10 here (by mid April), we are apparently behind Europe(not a bad thing imho) in introducing it. We only have E5.
I will have to be aware of potential problems that it may bring, in my old motor and its rubbery bits.
From UK Gov Site
https://check-vehicle-compatibility-...facturer/Volvo
I suppose there is an inevitability about that Bob. The RoI has no refining capability, so all the petrol and diesel is imported - there must be some pressure on the government to introduce E10.

I can't help thinking this is a lot of fuss about nothing. It seems unlikely (to me) that the ethanol molecules in E10 are suddenly more reactive than those in E5 just because they are twice as common (I'm not a chemist by profession, this just seems entirely illogical). I run GAM (and the Barge) on E10 all the time and have noticed no adverse effects whatsoever.

Old Apr 9th, 2023, 10:09   #16
Rustinmotion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Othen View Post
I suppose there is an inevitability about that Bob. The RoI has no refining capability, so all the petrol and diesel is imported - there must be some pressure on the government to introduce E10.

I can't help thinking this is a lot of fuss about nothing. It seems unlikely (to me) that the ethanol molecules in E10 are suddenly more reactive than those in E5 just because they are twice as common (I'm not a chemist by profession, this just seems entirely illogical). I run GAM (and the Barge) on E10 all the time and have noticed no adverse effects whatsoever.

I would keep an eye on your fuel lines, lots of tests show commonly used rubbers and plastics leaching into the fuel, loosing elasticity and hardening. The same test also stated ethanol holds more water and is less stable over time resulting in rusting of fuel tanks, none of this is an overnight thing and simply filling up with premium E5 every third trip to the petrol station will be enough to drop the Ethanol levels, personally I have always used shell V power or BP ultra in all my cars, I just think the cleaning and anti knock compounds keep the engine in good order

5. Conclusion
To test and compare the effects of E10 fuel to those of E5 fuel, this study was conducted on four different elastomers and two types of plastics which come in contact of fuel directly or indirectly used in automotive engine fuel systems and fuel dispensing equipment. Both fuel types caused slight and drastic changes in some materials. In appearance specimens pits, depressions, and decomposition were observed in Neoprene E10 specimens. There was change in color of Nylon-66 and Delrin E10 specimens. E10 showed significant effect on Nylon-66 and Delrin appearance specimens; there was visible change in color from off-white to pale yellow and creamish. Swelling was observed in all elastomers E5 and E10 WET specimens except PVC/NBR specimens, whereas all DRY specimens showed leaching signs. Maximum leaching was observed in PVC/NBR E5 and E10 specimens. There was about 100% increase in volume of all elastomers E10 WET specimens as compared to E5 WET specimens. Maximum shrinkage was observed in Neoprene dryout specimens. Delrin showed better resistance to shrinkage, swelling, and leaching as compared to Nylon-66. No uniform trend in tensile strength or elongation was observed in elastomer and plastic specimens. E10 WET specimens showed lower tensile strength as compared to E5 WET specimens but for DRY specimens’ trend was nonuniform.
Rustinmotion is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Rustinmotion For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 9th, 2023, 18:13   #17
Groundes-Peace
Master Member

As my car appears to be back to good health with the fuelling issue resolved, I am setting myself the objectives as follows when refuelling:

1. Buy only E5, and when ever possible specifically Esso E5 as I am in the belief this has zero ethanol still.

2. When I have no choice but to use E10, I will use the additive Millers Oils EPS product, in an effort to neutralise the ethanol.

Fingers crossed this will help reduce risk of further problems, down the road.
Groundes-Peace is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Groundes-Peace For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 9th, 2023, 20:18   #18
Bob 1967
Master Member

I have read some articles that mention the E10s and its hydroscopic properties causing issues with carburettor internals.
Not just the rubber in the diaphragm but also the jets and float bowls.
Routine checks and striping/cleaning will avert the corrosion and any deposits but the Diaphragm would be a worry for me.
Ethanol being detrimental to an already thin piece of rubber does not install a great deal of confidence.
I recently got hold of 2 2nd hand Stromberg's, I will rebuild them both and after setting them up will keep them as spares in the boot.
Old Apr 9th, 2023, 20:31   #19
Burdekin
Chief Bodger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob 1967 View Post
I have read some articles that mention the E10s and its hydroscopic properties causing issues with carburettor internals.
Not just the rubber in the diaphragm but also the jets and float bowls.
Routine checks and striping/cleaning will avert the corrosion and any deposits but the Diaphragm would be a worry for me.
Ethanol being detrimental to an already thin piece of rubber does not install a great deal of confidence.
I recently got hold of 2 2nd hand Stromberg's, I will rebuild them both and after setting them up will keep them as spares in the boot.
Bob use the diaphragm from Burlens. Some others being sold are not good quality.