Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General Forum for the P1-platform C30 / S40 / V50 / C70 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Volvo C30 2.0D "Shark Performance" nightmare!

Views : 35685

Replies : 324

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Mar 16th, 2016, 10:56   #281
shark90
Shark Performance

Quote:
Originally Posted by yalrafai View Post
Why the "lol"? Yes it cost me c. £2k to get my ecu reset by volvo amogst other things, why is that funny to you? If you read the volvo report that has been posted on this thread they themselves even said the damage was most likely caused by the shark map so why like Cheshired5 are you licking their arse?
We had already reset your ECU for you, totally back to standard, for free. I've made this clear before.
t: 01623 332233

10% off remaps and vehicle servicing to VolvoForums members
shark90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 16th, 2016, 11:19   #282
shark90
Shark Performance

Quote:
Originally Posted by iantowil View Post
For me Shark have removed the map, but kept his money. Why should they keep his money for something he no longer has.
The service that we offer was performed and accepted, a remap is not a product that can be returned and put back on a shelf. I don't have exact timeframes of when the customer suggested there was a problem our advice was not heeded within an acceptable time.

The remap was carried out on 24/08 and came back on 16/10 for diagnostics. Remaps don't change or wear out but cars and their components do, so if it was down to the map surely it would take less than 7 and a half weeks to report a problem and and bring it back? Edit: Just been reminded in another post that the customer said in this thread that the engine management light had been on since the remap. If so, why leave it so long?

The customer had no interest in us fixing it for him and said his local garage could fix it, which they didn't. The advice given was free, the diagnostic scan was free yet neither were taken any notice of? We returned the car back to standard, for free (the same as what Volvo seemingly charged £££ for) and the fault was still present.

So please tell me, do you work for free? I don't. Would you like to give all that time (and remember, time=money) FOC, especially when your advice has not been heeded and then the customer, having not heeded that advice goes onto a public forum, posts half of the story and tries to get potential customers of ours to be put off using us by moaning about the "customer service" he received?

I'll do all the above, and spend hours on the forum explaining it all, causing arguments with my mrs because I'm on a "bloody forum" at all sorts of hours, offering for the customer to contact us because he repeatedly ignored our calls, THEN offer the customer a refund? I don't think so. I'm a human being and my response to that is a negative I'm afraid. I will not be bullied, not by one customer, or a forum full of potential ones (or in your case, not even a potential one it seems), and if I don't think it's right, then as the MD of Shark Performance I will make the decision to not offer a refund. This is a matter of principle, not £314.25 (of which £52.37 goes to the government, so in reality to refund this gentleman would only have cost us £261.88).

If the customer has approached this situation in a different way, accepted our advice, or perhaps even CONTACTED US then this may have played out a bit differently.

I hope that clears things up for you.
t: 01623 332233

10% off remaps and vehicle servicing to VolvoForums members

Last edited by shark90; Mar 16th, 2016 at 11:33.
shark90 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to shark90 For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 16th, 2016, 11:47   #283
don kalmar union
Trader

I have to say that Shark are a highly respected competitor of mine and I find much of the content of this long and widely read thread pretty foul and quite unacceptable.

Don.

MTE performance software , TME and Ferrita stainless exhausts, AP heavy duty clutch kits, KU single mass flywheels and LSDs. 01494 785508. email don@kalmar-union.com

www.kalmar-union.com
don kalmar union is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to don kalmar union For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 16th, 2016, 17:32   #284
paddyred
Master Member

I have been following this thread for a while trying not to be involved and biting my tongue but I cant do it anymore. The remap shark provided is not the paid for item so it shouldn't be refunded, the multiple man hours (most of which provided at no cost) are the paid for items here. Shark has every right to refuse to refund it considering the amount of time the customer was AWOL for. I have had cars remapped by different companies and they have offered a 14 day cool off where I can go back for a refund and have the map taken off. If I went back 6-7 weeks later then I would be laughed at. If the lights were on and it was smoking/running rough then turn around and go back. Shark may have even said on your return that it is a "ECU learning" issue and you need to wait it out and you would have had a little more of a case here. You haven't got any case in reality, you refuse to talk to the company and have spent months slagging them off because your car is broken.
Then you come back and say that your car is fixed by a magical box of resistors with a switch on it?? Are you insane?! The box is just taking your MAF sensor readings and making the engine think it has colder air and maybe if the manufacturer is feeling ballsy then they take the fuel pressure reading and make it look a tiny bit lower so the engine pumps up the pressure more. It will not adjust the turbo actuation etc that a remap will do. If a couple of resistors connected to a rotary selection switch (Maybe it has a few LED's too for an under bonnet disco?) have fixed your fuel pressure and gearbox mechanical issues then it must be magical and runs off unicorn horn.

On a side note I will be selling my own tuning boxes labelled "Placebo XXX GTR spinny turbo time" priced at £70 with free postage (seems the least I can do at £5 a unit manufacture cost!)

Also in relation to smoking. Every diesel I have ever seen remapped smokes a little more. Thats a fact. Fast diesels with more power smoke, ever seen tractor pulling? No smoke, no poke!

Last edited by paddyred; Mar 16th, 2016 at 17:36.
paddyred is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to paddyred For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 16th, 2016, 19:13   #285
850Chris
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shark90 View Post
Hi Chris

Blame me! Well, you can blame Carl a little bit to be honest. Parcel has been out to you twice and is back out yet again today, this time we have made sure your name and telephone number were on it because it didn't print on the label. It'll get there if I have to deliver it myself at this rate!

Also thanks to the time it's taken, I've had the opportunity to already make the software for your car and the Handheld is already preconfigured ready for use, so you can just plug it in and flash the car without having to wait for your maps back from us. So whilst I appreciate the delay is annoying and I understand your frustration, there's no 24/48hr delay once you've received the unit so hopefully that numbs the annoyance of the delay for you.

Cheers

Ben
Thanks Ben / Carl,

Happy with this and I'll confirm once STS received.

Chris

2004 V50 T5 SE Manual

Now sold, off to BMW land for a while.
850Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 16th, 2016, 22:37   #286
NickP

I nipped down to Shark Performance last week for oil, fiter, plugs and cambelt kit and water pump. All sorted, with a friendly team and a comfortable waiting environment. They identified some worn out bushes on my front LCAs too. I'll probably go back to Shark to get those done.

Ben - can you send me a price on that job please? I didn't get a price from Carl while I was there.
Old Mar 16th, 2016, 22:40   #287
cheshired5
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickP View Post
I nipped down to Shark Performance last week for oil, fiter, plugs and cambelt kit and water pump.
I didn't know Shark sold genuine Volvo timing kits and water pumps.
What are the prices like?
Old Mar 16th, 2016, 23:39   #288
iantowil

Quote:
Originally Posted by shark90 View Post
The service that we offer was performed and accepted, a remap is not a product that can be returned and put back on a shelf. I don't have exact timeframes of when the customer suggested there was a problem our advice was not heeded within an acceptable time.

The remap was carried out on 24/08 and came back on 16/10 for diagnostics. Remaps don't change or wear out but cars and their components do, so if it was down to the map surely it would take less than 7 and a half weeks to report a problem and and bring it back? Edit: Just been reminded in another post that the customer said in this thread that the engine management light had been on since the remap. If so, why leave it so long?

The customer had no interest in us fixing it for him and said his local garage could fix it, which they didn't. The advice given was free, the diagnostic scan was free yet neither were taken any notice of? We returned the car back to standard, for free (the same as what Volvo seemingly charged £££ for) and the fault was still present.

So please tell me, do you work for free? I don't. Would you like to give all that time (and remember, time=money) FOC, especially when your advice has not been heeded and then the customer, having not heeded that advice goes onto a public forum, posts half of the story and tries to get potential customers of ours to be put off using us by moaning about the "customer service" he received?

I'll do all the above, and spend hours on the forum explaining it all, causing arguments with my mrs because I'm on a "bloody forum" at all sorts of hours, offering for the customer to contact us because he repeatedly ignored our calls, THEN offer the customer a refund? I don't think so. I'm a human being and my response to that is a negative I'm afraid. I will not be bullied, not by one customer, or a forum full of potential ones (or in your case, not even a potential one it seems), and if I don't think it's right, then as the MD of Shark Performance I will make the decision to not offer a refund. This is a matter of principle, not £314.25 (of which £52.37 goes to the government, so in reality to refund this gentleman would only have cost us £261.88).

If the customer has approached this situation in a different way, accepted our advice, or perhaps even CONTACTED US then this may have played out a bit differently.

I hope that clears things up for you.
I have to say a pretty good answer. A few things:

1. Its your policy not to give a refund if the customer is not happy, simple as that. The bull about a remap is a service not a product is utter nonsense (not sure your view, but many on here have stated this, and I think you did around Christmas - apologies if not) - it's a product that doesn't need to go back on the shelf - which just saves your business valuable shelf space. Lucky for you.

2. The work you did for free is I guess what you would normally do if anyone experiences problems with your map. There has to be a duty of care and some ownership from you as a business that your product works as it should, so the advice, diagnostic, and removal I guess would probably be expected if problems are encountered after loading the new map.

3. As a business, there are going to be times when things do not work out and don't always give you a profit. Not great, but that's the way it is. The risk of this is usually built into the price of the product or products you sell.

4. Did you see this coming? Sometimes it is better to cut and run and avoid all this, even if because it is just not worth the time and energy you have to put in. After all you do have a business to run and have to make money to survive - this is obviously not helping with that.

5. And yes sometimes I do work for free, usually because I know it will, or might pay off in the long run. So for selfish reasons really, but that is life. All you can hope is there is a natural justice that it pays off at sometime.

6. If you think I'm trying to bully you, you couldn't be more wrong. That was my view on what has been done to the OP (you have a big fan club on here), hence my defence of him - he does seem to have shelled out alot of cash, rightly or wrongly. Some think this thread has been appalling because of him. My view is that until recently, he generally been on the receiving end. Your posts around Christmas could have had a far better tone. I assume you're older and far more experienced than the OP, so maybe that could have come into play with a better outcome.

7. No, I'm not really a potential customer, but followed this thread as I have dabbled with the idea of a remap. I first posted on this thread when someone had a go at the OP very early on, and that attitude towards him gathered momentum - I felt pretty sorry for someone who seemed lost in what to do really.

8. What this thread has taught me is not to risk a remap, especially when there is no cool off period and refund if things go wrong. Just not worth the risk for me.

9. For your business, maybe worth thinking what could have been done differently to avoid all this, whatever that maybe. At least this would have served a purpose for you. And if you don't, then surely this really has been all a waste of time.

Yes, your post cleared up the refund issue. I hope you can see why I have posted what I have. If this post reads a argumentative, it is not meant to be that way towards you......others, I'm not so sure ;-)
iantowil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 16th, 2016, 23:48   #289
NickP

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheshired5 View Post
I didn't know Shark sold genuine Volvo timing kits and water pumps.
What are the prices like?
To be clear, I had them fitted there. Prices of the parts themselves are pretty standard. Labour was reasonable. Cam belt kit was an INA one, the same as Volvo fit.
The Following User Says Thank You to NickP For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 16th, 2016, 23:56   #290
cheshired5
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickP View Post
To be clear, I had them fitted there. Prices of the parts themselves are pretty standard. Labour was reasonable. Cam belt kit was an INA one, the same as Volvo fit.
Oh I see.
INA make the pulleys but not the belt.
Genuine pumps are normally bomb proof too which is why Volvo don't change them as course.
My 180k pump was like new so I left it until the 3rd belt change.