Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "General Topics" > Events and Meetings
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

Events and Meetings Car events and meetings for Volvo cars can be listed and discussed here.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Swedish Day Haslebury Mills 7th May 10-4

Views : 5816

Replies : 43

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old May 8th, 2017, 19:51   #31
PeakUnder
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 240T View Post
Can't tell if that's sarcasm or not?

Likewise Stephen - great day, I missed a few of you convoying back on the A303 - waited at the services outside the first junction to catch a few but didn't manage to spot any going back!
I followed you out but got stuck behind a bus when turning out of the T-junction. It was doing 30 mph in the long 50 mph bit, slowing down to about 5 mph, for every corner, and there were a lot of corners.

Finally got on the A303, but no sign of you Still, nice talking to you at the meet.

THE ONLY WAY TO GO FWD IS RWD
PeakUnder is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to PeakUnder For This Useful Post:
Old May 8th, 2017, 20:05   #32
240T
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeakUnder View Post
I followed you out but got stuck behind a bus when turning out of the T-junction. It was doing 30 mph in the long 50 mph bit, slowing down to about 5 mph, for every corner, and there were a lot of corners.

Finally got on the A303, but no sign of you Still, nice talking to you at the meet.
Ah - that must've been why I couldn't find you, I was at the end of the winding road boat in a lay-by but sounds horrendous behind that bus, I would've thought that road would be a 7.5 tonne limit.

Likewise Jeff - seeing you're close to me I'll hopefully see you in a few weeks at the Southern BKV in Romsey.
240T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8th, 2017, 20:21   #33
The Thong
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by V50t5dave View Post
I am the coordinator for the Yorkshire section of the Volvo club. Thank you for being so regional. Yes we in the north who support the mark are left agast at your southern Southwest attitude. Yes we wear flat caps and have whippets. You are so selfish. What is wrong with hosting the venue centrally.
No we are the south. You selfish people.
You should hang your heads in shame for being so self centered.
We held a day out the same day or should we have gone 400 miles to you then 400 miles home?
I am not going to do it.
Selfish people.
I await your usual southern response!
D. Pearson
The Following User Says Thank You to The Thong For This Useful Post:
Old May 9th, 2017, 19:37   #34
tt82
Forum Support Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by V50t5dave View Post
I am the coordinator for the Yorkshire section of the Volvo club. Thank you for being so regional. Yes we in the north who support the mark are left agast at your southern Southwest attitude. Yes we wear flat caps and have whippets. You are so selfish. What is wrong with hosting the venue centrally.
No we are the south. You selfish people.
You should hang your heads in shame for being so self centered.
We held a day out the same day or should we have gone 400 miles to you then 400 miles home?
I am not going to do it.
Selfish people.
I await your usual southern response!
D. Pearson
Be glad your not Scottish, even the Northern BKV would be a trek for a Kilt wearing tartan warrior. VolvoTuning do spread their meets around and have Scottish and Lake based meets as well as a good crop of Midland based meets.

There does seem to be a hell of a lot of Southern meets though! However the solution is for us to up our game and host our own meets which might appeal to them and make them dare to venture North.

tt82 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to tt82 For This Useful Post:
Old May 9th, 2017, 22:00   #35
stephenevans99
Team TorqueVolvo

Quote:
Originally Posted by tt82 View Post

There does seem to be a hell of a lot of Southern meets though! However the solution is for us to up our game and host our own meets which might appeal to them and make them dare to venture North.

Appears to me the South don't travel....even to their own meets pmsl
stephenevans99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9th, 2017, 22:19   #36
240T
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stephenevans99 View Post
Appears to me the South don't travel....even to their own meets pmsl
True - South rarely travel far for events, I think the furthest most will go to is the National BKV, can't think much else as to what other owners go to up North. Think Rockingham was the furthest North I heard someone go to.

How far North do I need to go before I reach chips and gravy, pies instead of pasties, colliery brass bands and whippets.. By eck.

+ YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.
240T is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 240T For This Useful Post:
Old May 10th, 2017, 07:26   #37
V50t5dave

Smile Re meets and distance to travel

Hi the message I left has provoked some response. The point being if you schedule a annual day of this magnitude it is only fair to consider the location. A 400 mile journey will take at least 5 hours traffic permitting plus the same home. The fuel cost will vary with what you run mine would be about £100. All this makes it prohibitive. There will be some who say overnight stay, more expense plus dogs in kennels.
You can not please all of the people all of the time but you can consider a fairer location. I am not alone with this view.
Hope you are all well and excuse the blunt Yorkshire speak. It's the way we are.
D. Pearson
V50t5dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10th, 2017, 07:40   #38
stephenevans99
Team TorqueVolvo

Keep an eye out for the VolvoTuning Gaydon event at the British Motor Museum on Sunday 17th September, 220+ Volvos at the previous event...not exactly North but certainly more central.
The Following User Says Thank You to stephenevans99 For This Useful Post:
Old May 10th, 2017, 08:18   #39
Prufrock
I've Been Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by 240T View Post
True - South rarely travel far for events, I think the furthest most will go to is the National BKV, can't think much else as to what other owners go to up North. Think Rockingham was the furthest North I heard someone go to.

How far North do I need to go before I reach chips and gravy, pies instead of pasties, colliery brass bands and whippets.. By eck.
Don't know about the above but some folk think you Wiltshire folk enjoy jellied eels* and talk about the Krays* and the Blitz...wouldn't think you had a clue about any of those ? Just reveals a lack of regional understanding and the diverse nature of British culture.

A pal of mine, from Salisbury, has a saying..."Wiltshire born and Wiltshire bred, strong in the arm and thick in the head".

Jon.

*Krays...north of the Thames - not South (ditto jellied eels).

P.S looked a nice event, and BTW I hate mushy peas.

Last edited by Prufrock; May 10th, 2017 at 08:21.
Prufrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10th, 2017, 11:12   #40
stephenevans99
Team TorqueVolvo

You should've come and enjoyed the day Jon...plenty of RWDs to dribble over. Be nice to meet you in person.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to stephenevans99 For This Useful Post: