Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 700/900 Series General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

700/900 Series General Forum for the Volvo 740, 760, 780, 940, 960 & S/V90 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

New to me 940

Views : 5702

Replies : 100

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Aug 19th, 2020, 11:37   #41
sam1

i just sit and relax in the 'slow lane' and go round trucks when required most of the time. everyone else is in a rush!

i think i will just get hold of that handbrake kit - thanks for that. i am still confused as to why it was working perfectly before and now its not! oh well. its only couple of quid!! i think the whole a-frame system is stretched, the holes are oval and the main retaining pin has two massive grooves worn in it from the a frame! it probably doesn't have long left.

ok thanks ill have a look see what they have on offer. cruise control would be nice! my glove box latch is toast, the locking pin is missing.

Current - '22 XC40 Recharge.
Past - '86 240, '94 940, '07 V70, '91 940, '12 XC70, '06 S80 V8
sam1 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to sam1 For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 19th, 2020, 12:04   #42
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sam1 View Post
i just sit and relax in the 'slow lane' and go round trucks when required most of the time. everyone else is in a rush!

i think i will just get hold of that handbrake kit - thanks for that. i am still confused as to why it was working perfectly before and now its not! oh well. its only couple of quid!! i think the whole a-frame system is stretched, the holes are oval and the main retaining pin has two massive grooves worn in it from the a frame! it probably doesn't have long left.

ok thanks ill have a look see what they have on offer. cruise control would be nice! my glove box latch is toast, the locking pin is missing.
I like to give my cars a bit of a workout/leg-stretch on the motorway/dual carriageway, blow the cobwebs out.

If the A-frame is as bad as you describe, a new one will certainly help. When i did mine i didn't have the option of using a new one due to time restrictions so i used some larger split pins and/or a bolt and Nyloc nut. I think it would still be worth having a look to make sure you've got the handbrake mechanism that the cable joins to the right way up and the same for the front strut between the shoes.

If memory serves the locking (striker) pin is actually part of the upper dash and can be removed separately from the glovebox, cruise control is usually hard to find but does come along every once in a while.

I fitted an aftermarket cruise control system to mine but they are NLA as far as i can tell, however if you do find one that could be an option.

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 19th, 2020, 14:14   #43
Ian21401
Premier Member

Default Hand brake.

Hi Sam.
The A frame on my 940 broke up despite having been greased, but the two lugs on the axle were still sound. I obtained one of those kits. Didn’t need the clamp for around the axle but used everything else. Works a treat.
Also check those grommets within the other brackets on the top of the axle casing. The cable wears through them and then bears on the metal of the bracket. Their external shape is a square which fits into the bracket. If you’re desperate you could turn them through 180 degrees so that the cable bears on an unworn section. I managed to obtain new OE ones, VO 1329524, back in 2012.
I suggest that you dismantle the mechanism that is on each of the brake back plates and disconnect the cable then if everything looks good reassemble them, taking into account Dave’s comment as to fitting the pieces the correct way around. I once discovered that somehow I had replaced one of those cross struts incorrectly on a previous occasion, it’s easily done.

Since 2005: 1992 Volvo 940 estate 2.0L. Manual. Daily driver and workhorse.
Ian21401 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ian21401 For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 19th, 2020, 20:30   #44
seb940

Default supplier?

Thank you for this very informative post. I am in the same position but have had my car for 4 years now. Also with speedo not working and in need of a good service. Just one question, where do you buy your parts from? Thanks again.
seb940 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to seb940 For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 19th, 2020, 20:49   #45
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by seb940 View Post
Thank you for this very informative post. I am in the same position but have had my car for 4 years now. Also with speedo not working and in need of a good service. Just one question, where do you buy your parts from? Thanks again.
Welcome aboard but where have you been buying the service parts from in that time?

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Old Aug 19th, 2020, 22:30   #46
Ian21401
Premier Member

Default seb940

The grommets obtained from my main dealer. The A frame kit is not a Volvo OE part so obtained it from Parts for Volvos. Their ref: 904412.

Since 2005: 1992 Volvo 940 estate 2.0L. Manual. Daily driver and workhorse.
Ian21401 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ian21401 For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 20th, 2020, 17:58   #47
sam1

Yea i think the a frame is on its last legs, and yes the grommet is well and truly worn through on the diff mount!
I cant see any difference in the solid spacer (part towards the front of the car) on the handbrake shoes, are we definitely sure it only goes one way? It looks symmetrical to me...
Re my parts i use BMG in Leatherhead or autodoc or euro car parts as a last Resort. Always stick with reputable brands and shop around to find who is selling it cheapest.

Just driven the bus 5 hours from home to Manchester via lakes autos. They are still open but emerging from lockdown hibernation. Barry was very helpful and seems to know everything worth knowing.
They have tons of new and used parts for most Volvos and hundreds of cars to pull bits off.
They didn't have a luggage load cover but I gather these are now very rare.

About 30 mins from my destination i was on the motorway going along around 60-65 on flat ground and the engine light came on. Car running 100% fine it seemed. Read the codes upon arrival a minute ago and had 231 113 221 stored.
I am using this page to read about the codes

https://www.volvoclub.org.uk/faq/EngineOBDCodes.html

I guess its a bit of jenga, one code can throw another couple maybe?

I think I'm in for an oxygen sensor at least.

Old Aug 20th, 2020, 19:07   #48
seb940

Default 940 service parts

In the last 4 years I have used the car for work as a carpenter, been to croatia in it, cornwall and a daily drive around sussex and up to london for work - shop fitting in the night! In that time i have replaced the water pump and all the wheels and tyres. Thats it. Now a V70 has taken over, I think its time to start treating the car with some respect! This thread has been very helpful!
seb940 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 20th, 2020, 22:52   #49
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sam1 View Post
Yea i think the a frame is on its last legs, and yes the grommet is well and truly worn through on the diff mount!
I cant see any difference in the solid spacer (part towards the front of the car) on the handbrake shoes, are we definitely sure it only goes one way? It looks symmetrical to me...
Re my parts i use BMG in Leatherhead or autodoc or euro car parts as a last Resort. Always stick with reputable brands and shop around to find who is selling it cheapest.

Just driven the bus 5 hours from home to Manchester via lakes autos. They are still open but emerging from lockdown hibernation. Barry was very helpful and seems to know everything worth knowing.
They have tons of new and used parts for most Volvos and hundreds of cars to pull bits off.
They didn't have a luggage load cover but I gather these are now very rare.

About 30 mins from my destination i was on the motorway going along around 60-65 on flat ground and the engine light came on. Car running 100% fine it seemed. Read the codes upon arrival a minute ago and had 231 113 221 stored.
I am using this page to read about the codes

https://www.volvoclub.org.uk/faq/EngineOBDCodes.html

I guess its a bit of jenga, one code can throw another couple maybe?

I think I'm in for an oxygen sensor at least.
All those codes point to the Lambda sensor. As for the parts question, that was actually directed at the new member who said he'd been following the thread and asked where to get parts from.

Fairly sure Luke (360beast) has a load cover but i might be wrong.

Old Aug 21st, 2020, 10:14   #50
sam1

I've got 2 options for the o2 sensor. I know its a 3 wire but have not looked close enough at it yet to see if it has a part number on it... it looks very old could be original!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screenshot_20200821-095929.jpg (276.4 KB, 6 views)