Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > Towing and Caravan Topics
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

Towing and Caravan Topics A forum for all towing/caravanning related topics

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

I need towbar buying advice - Mk III V70

Views : 1880

Replies : 12

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old Mar 10th, 2018, 10:25   #1
Jaz167

Default I need towbar buying advice - Mk III V70

Before I commit to buying a towbar and electrics for my recently purchased Mk III V70 I'd appreciate the combined wisdom of those who've been there - done that.

I'm also on the look out for a caravan and erring towards twin axles at the moment for size and (at the risk of triggering a debate) stability.

Mines a D5 geartronic and, from what I can tell, the best of the V70's for towing allowing for 2000kg and 90Kg nose weight (on both the V5 and owners manual)! Don't worry, I aim to be within that with a absolute maximum 90% ratio.

Driving licence restrictions are not a problem for me.

So, what towbar should I get? I don't want to spend too much and was inclined to go for a fixed one like a Witter. Apart from aesthetics is there any advantage to the retractable type? Is the Volvo bar superior enough to justify the price? Is it better to go second hand Volvo / retractable rather than a cheap new fixed?

What electrics? I'm assuming everything will be 13 pin nowadays. Should I get an aftermarket kit with relay etc that fulfils all the legal requirements but doesn't interface with the manufacturer set up or a Volvo kit with the module etc. Which is easier to fit? Can someone with DiCE/Vida complete the software update if I go down the Volvo route? I do like the idea of it being integrated but is it just over-complicating things?

On the subject of fitting I'm inclined to do it myself. Not just because of cost but also the confidence that it's been done properly. I guess the holes are already there anyway and it just needs attaching?

I might leave the electrics to someone else unless you can tell me it's not that hard?

How have I managed to turn a simple question into such a long post (don't answer that).
Jaz167 is offline   Reply With Quote