Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 700/900 Series General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

700/900 Series General Forum for the Volvo 740, 760, 780, 940, 960 & S/V90 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Alternator Bushes, to change or not?

Views : 874

Replies : 6

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Feb 24th, 2016, 19:40   #1
James_N
VOC Member

Default Alternator Bushes, to change or not?

Hi All,

My 940 seems to like eating alternator belts. They seem to last around 12 months, then snap!

My last one went just before Christmas and it took three hours to be recovered home! Anyway, this was replaced by a Genuine Volvo belt.

On giving my poor neighbour a jump start tonight, I noticed the belt moving around a little on the pulley and sometimes almost jumping around, as if it was quite slack. The edges of the belt look like they are beginning to fray a little as well.

All this is in a relatively short space of time. Its almost as if something is very slightly out of alignment and the belt is rubbing on the side of the pulley grove (if you can understand what I mean).

Would it be worth changing the Alternator Bushes, maybe to stiffen things back up and stop the movement? The car is getting on a bit now, and maybe its time to look after the old girl a little better than I have been over the past 12 months or so! Its MOT time next month and ive got a few things that need sorting, but having seen the belt looking a little slack and the edges starting to fray a tad, would it be something worth doing?

How much would I be looking at for polybushes (or just normal bushes!) and fitting at a local garage (I think labour is about £55 an hour).

Cheers
James
Old Feb 24th, 2016, 20:25   #2
Steve940estate
Steam Driven PC Owner.

It does sound like something isn't straight. Is there any chance the belt was in the wrong slot on any of the pulleys ? Volvo helpfully gave you more belt grooves than needed to make things difficult. I struggled with mine as I had been supplied the wrong length belts which made things more tricky than normal.

A photo of your engine might help.
Steve940estate is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Steve940estate For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 24th, 2016, 21:45   #3
James_N
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve940estate View Post
It does sound like something isn't straight. Is there any chance the belt was in the wrong slot on any of the pulleys ? Volvo helpfully gave you more belt grooves than needed to make things difficult. I struggled with mine as I had been supplied the wrong length belts which made things more tricky than normal.

A photo of your engine might help.
Not in the wrong slot (confirmed by looking at many pictures of the 230FK engine). I will post a picture tomorrow though but for the past few years belts have not lasted, even the genuine Volvo ones
Old Feb 25th, 2016, 00:32   #4
Steve940estate
Steam Driven PC Owner.

The easiest way to see if the alternator is twisted is to put a straight edge on the pulley. I suggested a photo as someone might spot something, worth a try anyway.
Steve940estate is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Steve940estate For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 25th, 2016, 00:42   #5
bluebrickrick

Stick a voltmeter across the battery, run the engine up (I keep a cut off bit of wooden lolipop stick hung on a bit of cord ied to the carb to jam the throttle open at around 3K revs for when needing to recharge or while jumpstarting someone) and watch the voltage as you progressively load up by turning on everything electrical that you have on board, (main beam, fogs, rear screen heater etc) if it holds the 13.5-14 ish volts you start with then the brushes are delivering enough volts through the slip rings to keep the output coils generating adequately so the electrical side ought to be OK. This will also put a heavy mechanical load on belt and pulleys so you should be able to see or hear if it is slipping or jumping which needs investigating, also worth checking that the key in the alternator shaft hasn't been missed from a previous re assembly.
If using a digital meter it may not register rapid voltage fluctuations as readily as a needle meter.
HTH

You will need a smaller than usual crimp and crimp ferrules if changing brushes yourself on the Bosch / Volvo alternator
bluebrickrick is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bluebrickrick For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 25th, 2016, 12:34   #6
Rversteeg
Master Member

Default Changing bushes

PE bushings are around 8 GBP each, you need three. Changing is a piece of cake and will take you about 15 minutes max.
Rversteeg is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Rversteeg For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 25th, 2016, 21:18   #7
jor
VOC 20573

Another factor is the tension - apparently belts do not like to be too tight and a little pressure should give 1/2" deflection. For mechanical numpties like myself it's somewhat problematic to work out which of the fixings to alter to change tension in the correct belt. I've not had one go - yet, but as I can never manage to fully eliminate some degree of squeal will change every year.

jor
The Following User Says Thank You to jor For This Useful Post: