Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 200 Series General > 200 Series Sales
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

1989 Volvo 240 GL Estate B200E - MOT fail

Views : 1711

Replies : 19

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Oct 19th, 2015, 21:48   #1
leftfootleashed
Perma-scarred Knuckles

Default 1989 Volvo 240 GL Estate B200E - MOT fail

TL;DR:
MOT fail, project or spares car, make me an offer, no banger racers.
Will break if not sold, but thought I'd give someone the chance.

Spec:
1989 G Volvo 240 GL Estate
Red, grey/black fabric interior
2.0 B200E (K-jet mech. injection)
165 000 miles
On Virgos with Wintermaxx tyres - good few mm tread

Sadly the time has come to part ways with my 240. It failed its MOT in August, needing welding to both sills. Whilst I've repaired the front nearside to a good standard, the rest still needs doing, and I don't have the time or facilities to do it, particularly now it's cold and dark in the evenings. If it were the spring, I might continue with the job, but it's not and I don't want it sitting around all winter. So I'm listing it hear in the hope that someone will take it on as a project, or more likely, have it as a donor car. I've got nothing against banger racing, but I'd sooner break it myself than sell it for the track. I'll have another 240 again in the future so the more parts around and cars still on the road the better.

What's wrong with it:
Rust to rear of nearside sill (inner and outer) and arch, and front and rear of offside sill, including some of the front floorpan (driver's footwell and under seat) and front wing. MOT fail certificate states nearside front and offside rear, but I think it's the other way round. All bits need doing in any case, with the exception of...
I've repaired the front nearside sill and some pre-existing holes in the floorpan. Cut out all rot, right the way along the lateral seam, welded in repair patches, acid-etch primed, PU seam sealed, primed again and undersealed outside. I did this with the mindset that if I was going to the effort, I would be keeping the car for a few years yet, and though I say so myself, I think it's a pretty good job. It's certainly solid. I cut off a piece of the wing where to remove the rust. It's ugly but roadworthy (just) - needs replacing really, which is a pity because otherwise it's solid. Offside wing the same.
All the rust is exposed as I've ground into it to reveal its extent. This means it looks a mess, but bear in mind that before I did this, it was barely visible. As you'll probably know if you're reading this, rust always goes further than it looks, but all needs chopping out to make good.
The other MOT fail items were handbrake effectiveness, which I've fixed (replaced nearside handbrake shoes and adjusted cable tension) and power steering "heavy", which I think is probably down to an MOT tester unfamiliar with old cars, but should be fixed with a change of power steering fluid, which is probably due anyway, and some oil on the steering column linkages.
As if to emphasise its reluctance to be left on the drive, when I started it up yesterday and moved it to prevent the brakes seizing and give it a warm through, I spotted a leak from one of the fuel hoses near the main pump - just needs a hose replacing.

Otherwise, it's generally in good condition. Which I realise at this point sounds like saying "...otherwise, Hitler was a nice guy." But seriously, I've owned the car for 3 and a half years and 15k and loved it. It's got about 20 years of Volvo service history under one owner and since then has been owned by two enthusiasts including myself. I've done all work myself while I've had it, but have records of parts bought and jobs done. Off the top of my head: new front brake calipers, piping and flexi hoses back to splitter, rear brake pipes back to splitter, track rod end, ball joint, radiator, recent front discs and pads ignition leads, dizzy cap and rotor, yearly oil changes, and other usual service items.

Mechanically: absolutely sound, never put a foot wrong.
Running gear is in average condition for age, i.e. expect to have to replace things like wishbones, ball joints, shocks, etc. eventually. Goes without saying really.
Bodywork: apart from what's already been described, a few bubbles on some arches, small patch on tailgate (also previous repair), tailgate aperture (standard). Spare wheel wells solid (not standard!).
Interior: decent, but a few marks. I've used it for camping trips etc. and that's taken its toll. Think one door card is still intact. Driver's seat back collapsed (standard) but still the most comfortable thing I've ever sat in. If the car doesn't sell I'm taking it out and making a chair out of it. Seriously.

I could say lots more about this car, and have probably missed some important stuff but I've gone on enough already. If there's anything else you want to know, just ask.

Bearing in mind that I want to sell this to someone with a genuine interest in the car (or another 240), I'm going to do the annoying thing and not put a price and say make me an offer. I can only say no.

Old Oct 19th, 2015, 21:53   #2
leftfootleashed
Perma-scarred Knuckles

Some rust details on here: http://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showth...ght=rust+sills

Also, more rust pron here: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/5t7d1uqkt...JY_dYcuva?dl=0
Old Oct 22nd, 2015, 17:19   #3
ted242

Have you got any more pictures of the rear arches ??

Cheers ed
Old Oct 22nd, 2015, 20:32   #4
leftfootleashed
Perma-scarred Knuckles

It was dark before I read your message and so I tried, but didn't realise how crap these were til I got them on the computer. Will try again when it's light.

Nearside:

Old Oct 24th, 2015, 14:48   #5
leftfootleashed
Perma-scarred Knuckles

Default More arch photos

Nearside:

Offside:

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to leftfootleashed For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 26th, 2015, 07:52   #6
geoffo
saving 240's one by one

Default Still....

.....got this?
geoffo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 26th, 2015, 08:16   #7
leftfootleashed
Perma-scarred Knuckles

Sold now - to be turbo'd and used as a daily by a regular on here so hopefully not the last we'll see of it
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to leftfootleashed For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 26th, 2015, 18:14   #8
Ml 1990 740 turbo
Master Member

That'll be me! Cheers mate, got back no problems. All though the steering is scary! Not sure what's wrong just yet, but I'll sort it.
Now I have a 240 expect some handling mods to be available to people in the future.
Ml 1990 740 turbo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ml 1990 740 turbo For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 26th, 2015, 18:46   #9
leftfootleashed
Perma-scarred Knuckles

Nice one. Steering - heavy or wallowy? Noticed it was a pretty heavy when I shunted it back and forward on the drive the other day, but thought I'd just got used to a modern car.
Old Oct 26th, 2015, 18:58   #10
Ml 1990 740 turbo
Master Member

I'd say sort of seized. Really heavy and notch'y, like somethings seized. I think it's the steering column knuckles, they look a bit suspect. Wd40 them to death last night. Hoping by tonight it might have done the trick, unfortunately not! Maybe slightly better, but could be imagining that. Going to give grease a go.
Ml 1990 740 turbo is offline   Reply With Quote