Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General

Notices

S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General Forum for the SPA-platform 60- and 90-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

HUD or heated windscreen

Views : 56744

Replies : 283

Users Viewing This Thread :  

View Poll Results: Which option would you sekect
HUD 202 46.76%
Heated windscreen 230 53.24%
Voters: 432. You may not vote on this poll

Old Jan 5th, 2019, 18:15   #101
Fursty Ferret

@quacker. Sorry, you’re wrong about this. The image generated in the HUD unit is projected onto a perfectly machined curved mirror, which you see reflected in the windscreen. The curves in both have to be precise or the image will be distorted or blurry.

You can just reflect a smartphone in the windscreen, but the virtual image will have the focus at the wrong distance. Plastic combiners in cheaper units are totally different technology.
Fursty Ferret is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Fursty Ferret For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 22nd, 2019, 08:41   #102
Bash D Bishop
Volvo Virgin

HUD is a gadget that I can live without. Heated screen is a necessity I never want to be without.

I love how quickly the screen clears on a frosty morning. I use it as part of the Remote Start routine. Yesterday morning it was -6c and all the cars had a thick layer of hard frost on them. My car was clear within about 2 minutes.
Bash D Bishop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 22nd, 2019, 12:23   #103
volvocat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bash D Bishop View Post
HUD is a gadget that I can live without. Heated screen is a necessity I never want to be without.

I love how quickly the screen clears on a frosty morning. I use it as part of the Remote Start routine. Yesterday morning it was -6c and all the cars had a thick layer of hard frost on them. My car was clear within about 2 minutes.
Agreed. I had a new XC60 loaner with HUD for a few days (long enough to give it a good trial) and whilst OK, I would hardly call it an indespensible necessity. Heated screen far more useful, even if only on more limited occasions.
volvocat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24th, 2019, 10:28   #104
Wizzpop
Master Member

[QUOTE=Bash D Bishop;2487470]HUD is a gadget that I can live without./QUOTE]
I've followed this occassionaly with some interest. My V60 came with HUD, as I didn't specify the heated screen. Although I haven't missed a heated screen, I am not sure about the HUD. Having been driving for nearly 60 years I am so used to a quick scan of the instrument panel that I forget I have the HUD. a nice gimmick, although I would prefer it to be slightly higher on the screen.
Old May 24th, 2019, 16:54   #105
gaby
Premier Member

You are aware that the position of the HUD can be adjusted?
Since the driver kan keep his eyes on the road ahead, I find a HUD a safety feature,
certainly while driving at high speed.
To me the heated windscreen is more a comfort feature (and one I have no use for).
Old May 24th, 2019, 22:51   #106
Wizzpop
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaby View Post
You are aware that the position of the HUD can be adjusted?
Yes, I adjusted mine as high as I could, but it is still in the lower part of my vision. Probably more a case of getting used to it.
Old Jun 8th, 2019, 22:04   #107
gaby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wizzpop View Post
Yes, I adjusted mine as high as I could, but it is still in the lower part of my vision. Probably more a case of getting used to it.
The height of your seat will also make a difference.
But of course a comfortable seating position comes first.
I want the HUD to be rather low so that it can be read clearly on the black of the tarmac.
Old Jul 31st, 2019, 11:13   #108
jonnyu

Just an additional info.
The HUD displays some information that is exclusive to the HUD. Most people think that the HUD just presents information that already exists on the dashboard but that's not true.
Old Jul 31st, 2019, 12:25   #109
James77

Agree the HUD is an excellent device/gadget lots of useful information presented not just current speed but also speed limit, nav, schools, right of way and caller information. Saves glancing down, glancing down is dangerous!!..

I also have a heated windscreen on the other car and the remote start performs that duty just as well if not better as the car is also warm/seats heated.

no need for a heated screen, the haters have got it wrong!!!
Old Jul 31st, 2019, 15:32   #110
BroadwayBlueshirt

Heated windscreen is a must for me. One of the reasons I went 140 miles to get my car.