Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > XC90 '02–'15 General

Notices

XC90 '02–'15 General Forum for the P2-platform XC90 model

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

XC90 adding rear sub woofer.

Views : 8675

Replies : 39

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Sep 11th, 2018, 20:59   #11
cpu_man

Quote:
Originally Posted by SwissXC90 View Post
Read all the docs about the Subwoofer in VIDA, it's all there
Do you know where I would find this in VIDA?
cpu_man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 11th, 2018, 21:00   #12
cpu_man

Quote:
Originally Posted by GenericVolvoDriver View Post
Focal FD1.350 amp http://www.caraudiodirect.co.uk/foca...mono-amplifier

This is the amp the guy in the video used - maybe just order this and save the work...
It seems to be working perfect for him and saves you the trouble.
I was thinking about this but wanted to look at other options that's all and I am still unsure how he has wired up the subs being a 4 post that's all..
Old Sep 12th, 2018, 00:28   #13
GenericVolvoDriver

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpu_man View Post
I was thinking about this but wanted to look at other options that's all and I am still unsure how he has wired up the subs being a 4 post that's all..
If you follow the wires you can see how he does it at the start - each coil gets it's own channel +/- connection - the manual shows how to do it: https://pdf.crutchfieldonline.com/Im.../091FD1350.PDF

Seems like you can't mess it up!
'88 Nissan 300ZX Turbo - Me
GenericVolvoDriver is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GenericVolvoDriver For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 12th, 2018, 07:10   #14
cpu_man

Quote:
Originally Posted by GenericVolvoDriver View Post
If you follow the wires you can see how he does it at the start - each coil gets it's own channel +/- connection - the manual shows how to do it: https://pdf.crutchfieldonline.com/Im.../091FD1350.PDF

Seems like you can't mess it up!
arrrrr yes, just had a look though the manual and that makes good sence now, thank you very much for finding this.

looks like the next thing might be the amp purchase...
Old Sep 12th, 2018, 17:32   #15
Petrolhead94

Default Be Careful

I've attempted to replace car speakers in the past, the wiring can be a nightmare, wouldn't recommend to any novice.
Petrolhead94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 13th, 2018, 05:24   #16
GenericVolvoDriver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petrolhead94 View Post
I've attempted to replace car speakers in the past, the wiring can be a nightmare, wouldn't recommend to any novice.
Yea, keep in mind when I say these things are easy I did my undergrad in electrical engineering and am a pig in mud with diagnosing gremlins...

Just take your time on doing the wiring neatly, there's no first place award. Use lots of zip ties, follow the video and you'll be fine.

Happy to help if you run into issues.
'88 Nissan 300ZX Turbo - Me
GenericVolvoDriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 13th, 2018, 06:52   #17
SwissXC90
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petrolhead94 View Post
A speaker has 2 terminals: positive and negative.
It needs 2 wires: positive and negative.

Getting them around the wrong way will just cause a sound imbalance, but won't cause damage.
XC90 R-Design MY2009, Black Sapphire Metallic. HP-Sound, RSE, Nav, Tel, ParkingCam, BLIS, ParkingHeater, RestHeat, Removable Towbar, Summer: CRATUS 20x8 on Pirelli Scorpion Zeros 255/45, Winter: NEPTUNE 17x7 on Continental WinterContact 4x4 235/65.
SwissXC90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 15th, 2018, 11:58   #18
SwissXC90
Premier Member

I promised some info from VIDA

DESIGN
The subwoofer module (SUB) consists of two components:
  • a loudspeaker element
  • an amplifier.
The loudspeaker element is an 8 inch bass loudspeaker with two sound axes. The impedance is 4 Ω for each sound axis.

The amplifier has two channels, one for each sound axis. The output from each channel on the amplifier is 70 W at 4 Ω. Power booster amplification is set so that the acoustic output from the subwoofer module (SUB) matches the other loudspeaker channels.

When transferring sound signals to the subwoofer module (SUB), the infotainment control module (ICM) allocates a channel on the MOST network. The audio module (AUD) transmits sound signals to the subwoofer module (SUB) via the MOST network. All filtering and sound treatment of the sound signal takes place in the audio module (AUD). Volume control takes place in the Subwoofer module (SUB).

The volume of the Subwoofer module (SUB) is raised or lowered using the volume knob on the infotainment control module (ICM). The infotainment control module (ICM) transmits a request on the MOST network to the subwoofer module (SUB), which then processes the request and actively raises or lowers the volume.

The limiter function in the subwoofer module (SUB) does not permit an increase in the output level if this leads to a fall in sound quality.

The subwoofer module (SUB) is supplied with power by one of the relays in the rear electronic module (REM).

SYSTEM OVERVIEW
Subwoofer module (SUB)

The primary task of the subwoofer module (SUB) is to manage sound reproduction from the audio module (AUD) to the bass loudspeaker.

The bass loudspeakers and amplifier are integrated into the control module. This means that the whole unit must be replaced when replacing the control module.

The subwoofer module (SUB) only functions if the audio module (AUD) is connected to the MOST network.

The subwoofer module (SUB) checks activations and input and output signals via an integrated diagnostic system. A diagnostic trouble code (DTC) is stored if the control module detects a fault. Any diagnostic trouble codes (DTCs) are stored in the control module memory.

The subwoofer module (SUB) uses the MOST network to communicate with other control modules.

In order to work correctly on the MOST network, the infotainment control module (ICM) checks that the serial number in the subwoofer module (SUB) is correct. The subwoofer module (SUB) will not function if the number is incorrect. Try switching the ignition off and on if there are problems when replacing the control module.

A simple way to check whether the subwoofer module (SUB) is functioning is to switch on the radio and to then change the volume. The volume from the subwoofer module (SUB) should rise and fall with the changes.

Note! Ensure that the bass loudspeaker is selected in the infotainment control module (ICM). Turn the SEL button on the infotainment control module (ICM).

The subwoofer module (SUB) is on the left-hand side of the cargo compartment.

Signals
The table below summarizes the input signals to and output signals from the subwoofer module (SUB) on the MOST network. The illustration below displays the same information with the Volvo component designations.

PARTS LIST
The subwoofer is listed as
Loudspeaker, with amplifier 1.00 30758468
2x70W

So the SubWoofer is designed to handle 2x70W, or 140W
XC90 R-Design MY2009, Black Sapphire Metallic. HP-Sound, RSE, Nav, Tel, ParkingCam, BLIS, ParkingHeater, RestHeat, Removable Towbar, Summer: CRATUS 20x8 on Pirelli Scorpion Zeros 255/45, Winter: NEPTUNE 17x7 on Continental WinterContact 4x4 235/65.
SwissXC90 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to SwissXC90 For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 23rd, 2018, 21:39   #19
cpu_man

Quote:
Originally Posted by SwissXC90 View Post
I promised some info from VIDA

DESIGN
The subwoofer module (SUB) consists of two components:
  • a loudspeaker element
  • an amplifier.
The loudspeaker element is an 8 inch bass loudspeaker with two sound axes. The impedance is 4 Ω for each sound axis.

The amplifier has two channels, one for each sound axis. The output from each channel on the amplifier is 70 W at 4 Ω. Power booster amplification is set so that the acoustic output from the subwoofer module (SUB) matches the other loudspeaker channels.

When transferring sound signals to the subwoofer module (SUB), the infotainment control module (ICM) allocates a channel on the MOST network. The audio module (AUD) transmits sound signals to the subwoofer module (SUB) via the MOST network. All filtering and sound treatment of the sound signal takes place in the audio module (AUD). Volume control takes place in the Subwoofer module (SUB).

The volume of the Subwoofer module (SUB) is raised or lowered using the volume knob on the infotainment control module (ICM). The infotainment control module (ICM) transmits a request on the MOST network to the subwoofer module (SUB), which then processes the request and actively raises or lowers the volume.

The limiter function in the subwoofer module (SUB) does not permit an increase in the output level if this leads to a fall in sound quality.

The subwoofer module (SUB) is supplied with power by one of the relays in the rear electronic module (REM).

SYSTEM OVERVIEW
Subwoofer module (SUB)

The primary task of the subwoofer module (SUB) is to manage sound reproduction from the audio module (AUD) to the bass loudspeaker.

The bass loudspeakers and amplifier are integrated into the control module. This means that the whole unit must be replaced when replacing the control module.

The subwoofer module (SUB) only functions if the audio module (AUD) is connected to the MOST network.

The subwoofer module (SUB) checks activations and input and output signals via an integrated diagnostic system. A diagnostic trouble code (DTC) is stored if the control module detects a fault. Any diagnostic trouble codes (DTCs) are stored in the control module memory.

The subwoofer module (SUB) uses the MOST network to communicate with other control modules.

In order to work correctly on the MOST network, the infotainment control module (ICM) checks that the serial number in the subwoofer module (SUB) is correct. The subwoofer module (SUB) will not function if the number is incorrect. Try switching the ignition off and on if there are problems when replacing the control module.

A simple way to check whether the subwoofer module (SUB) is functioning is to switch on the radio and to then change the volume. The volume from the subwoofer module (SUB) should rise and fall with the changes.

Note! Ensure that the bass loudspeaker is selected in the infotainment control module (ICM). Turn the SEL button on the infotainment control module (ICM).

The subwoofer module (SUB) is on the left-hand side of the cargo compartment.

Signals
The table below summarizes the input signals to and output signals from the subwoofer module (SUB) on the MOST network. The illustration below displays the same information with the Volvo component designations.

PARTS LIST
The subwoofer is listed as
Loudspeaker, with amplifier 1.00 30758468
2x70W

So the SubWoofer is designed to handle 2x70W, or 140W
You are a star
Old Sep 27th, 2018, 08:51   #20
cpu_man

ok guys a little update, as I stated this will be done over time as I am in no rush BUT want to make sure I get this right for the best sound.

SwissXC90, thank you for the above information with out this I would have struggled a lot.

So after doing some research and talking to audio Tec I think the best amp out there is the Pioneer D1004. It is a very small amp so I might stand a better chance of installing somewhere in the boot pannel with it being out of sight.
Also as the Volvo sub is a 8 ohm speaker (in total) with 4 ohms per coil this amp will support a bridge at 90w (true watt) per coil at 4ohms, more than enough to get good bass sound.

link to amp is here:

https://www.dynamicsounds.co.uk/pion...fier-400w.html

will update more as time goes on people.

Ryan.