Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S40 / V40 '96-'04 General

Notices

S40 / V40 '96-'04 General Forum for the Volvo S40 and V40 (Classic) Series from 1995-2004.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

03 S40 P2 Radio Harness

Views : 487

Replies : 11

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Oct 9th, 2018, 02:18   #1
Marty5678

Default 03 S40 P2 Radio Harness

I have a bit of a question that I have been looking into since I got the S40.
I currently pretty good single DIN aftermarket stereo and have been looking for a way to put it into the S40 as I very much like my music while driving without the hissing noise from the FM transmitter.
From what I have gathered, I need to source two harnesses for the radio and antenna. I found both harnesses that I need which are Metra 70-9221 and Metra 40-VL10, but the issue is that they come from the USA and I don't really want to pay the ridiculous delivery prices. Note, I have the HU-xxx radio.
My question is, would anyone be able to direct me to the harnesses that are in UK & Ireland or at least in Europe? Would be a bonus for the pocket too.

Also, how difficult is the process of installing it?
Marty5678 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 9th, 2018, 02:59   #2
canis
Non Fragile

It's as simple as walking into Halfords, looking up the right adapter lead, buy it and connect it. Failing that, most auto-audio shops will be able to obtain them. Sometimes even motor-factors shops carry them too. Many cars share connectors, at least across manufacturers. Many radios share connectors, at least across their manufacturers. You just need to obtain the right one for the combination you have. You just plug them in. It's a lot simpler than it used to be.
canis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 9th, 2018, 04:02   #3
Marty5678

From what I have seen, Halfords don't offer anything for Volvo's and I'm not quite sure of what connectors I exactly need so I don't want to buy something that won't work and might cause a headache. Perhaps there is something on Amazon UK or even eBay, but again, I'm not exactly sure what I'm looking for other than the Metra ones I listed.
Old Oct 9th, 2018, 04:16   #4
canis
Non Fragile

They're not listed by manufacturer. You have to look them up on the table/chart/computer (probably crashed)/etc, and then find the corresponding item number on the rack. I've got one in my V40, so I know they exist.
Old Oct 9th, 2018, 04:18   #5
canis
Non Fragile

Wait a minute - I'm a bit confused? Are you trying to install a Volvo HU radio into your Volvo, but someone's half-inched the connectors? Or what? Sorry, I'm a bit thick.
Old Oct 9th, 2018, 04:25   #6
Marty5678

No no, I currently have an HU-xxx radio in the S40 which supports tape and cd, but since I only listen to music through my phone, I have to use an fm transmitter which isn't that great, to be honest. So I'm currently considering putting in an aftermarket head unit which is single din and have been looking into what harnesses I need before I start.
My local Halfords only has computers for wipers and bulbs, from what I have seen on the rack they have harnesses for Fiats, Fords, BMW's, etc, but no Volvos which is a joke. So I'd rather find the items I need on Amazon UK or eBay and order them online for simplicity.
Old Oct 9th, 2018, 04:36   #7
canis
Non Fragile

Yeah, those FM transmitters don't work particularly well, I'll agree. Though if it's buzzing, it sounds like it needs a choke inline with it's power supply. I've used the cassette-type devices before, they work suprisingly well.

I'm suprised Halfords can't help though. The computer things can do other suff too, if you 'back' all the way out to the beginning, maybe select from there. I'm in the process of moving the stereo from my old V40 to the new one, so I'll take a look tomorrow at what there is.

Do you know which system you're intending to install? I know it's a pain, but you could buy a harness for the new radio, cut the Volvo's plugs off and physically solder the new harness to it. If you need help with wire colours, I can certainly help with those.
Old Oct 9th, 2018, 04:51   #8
Marty5678

I ordered the cassette adapter to aux and see how that works, but don't have high hopes for it so I do plan to go through it and get the aftermarket head unit in. The stereo I have now is Sony something which I bought a few months ago from Halfords which currently sits in my old car which broke down hence why I have an S40 now which is definitely a nice upgrade.

I definitely don't want to go through the hassle of soldering and all that stuff as I'll want to put the OEM stereo back if or when I'm going to change to another car. So I'd rather find the harness that I need which would plug in with an aftermarket head unit and the Volvo connectors so that I don't have to worry about the wiring.
If there is nothing, then I'll have to go with the Metra harnesses and order them from US as they seem to plug in with ease (from what I read).

It just seems kinda weird that there is no simple wiring harnesses around like there is for BMW's, VW's, Audis and other brands.
The Following User Says Thank You to Marty5678 For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 9th, 2018, 21:18   #9
canis
Non Fragile

I didn't get chance to look in the dashboard today, but I have remembered something:

The harnesses usually come in two parts; One part has the car's connectors at one end, and a standard connector at the other. Then the second half has the standard connector to whatever your radio needs. In that way, anything can be connected to anything. At least, that's if you can find them.
Old Oct 11th, 2018, 21:34   #10
Marty5678

See I don't really want to cut or do anything with the wires especially if I need to put back the original radio when I'll upgrade to another car. So I'd rather get the wiring harnesses that plug into the aftermarket head unit and the Volvo wiring plugs into the harnesses. If anyone knows where I can get them from europe, that'd be good otherwise I'll just order them from US.