Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General Forum for the SPA-platform 60- and 90-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Early Service - next one?

Views : 603

Replies : 9

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jun 17th, 2019, 21:00   #1
Dingle232

Default Early Service - next one?

My 67 plate XC60 was first registered at the end of Dec 2017. Its first service had been carried out only 8 months later (August 2018) despite the car only having done 9k miles at that point. I bought the car in January this year and am getting conflicting advice from dealers about when the next one is due.

The first one should have been done in December 2018 so, following the 12 months interval from then, its next one should be done in December this year. However, as the first one was done early then a year from that date would mean the next one is due in August this year.

I have called a few dealers and half of them say get the next one done in August with the remainder saying it will be fine to leave it until December which is when it 'should' be done. I don't want any issues with warranty and would appreciate any advice as to when I should get it done.

Thank you.
Dingle232 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 17th, 2019, 21:09   #2
St Evelyn
VOC Member

If it were my car it would get done in August; I understand that the interval (both time and mileage) is effectively reset each time you have a service completed, so the clocks started ticking last August whilst the clock that started in December 2017 was metaphorically thrown away at the same point.

Hope that makes sense.

Current - 2017 V90 D4 Inscription
Previous - 2011 S80 D3
St Evelyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 17th, 2019, 21:16   #3
Dingle232

It does and that was my thinking also - I am just aware that the cost will be around £550 for this one so was trying to buy some time. :-).

Even though not related I have a dumb question that maybe someone can help me with. The screen was reservoir on my car has what I can only describe as a porous filter below the filler cap which means it takes an age to fill the reservoir up as it quickly overflows when pouring washer fluid in. Am I missing something or is there a quicker way?
Old Jun 17th, 2019, 21:16   #4
dhr90

I agree with St Evelyn, 12 months from its last service is when I would get the work done.
Its likely it was used as a demonstrator or managers vehicle, and the first private buyer insisted on a service as part of the deal, hence it having been done 4 months early.
Old Jun 17th, 2019, 21:31   #5
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dingle232 View Post
My 67 plate XC60 was first registered at the end of Dec 2017. Its first service had been carried out only 8 months later (August 2018) despite the car only having done 9k miles at that point. I bought the car in January this year and am getting conflicting advice from dealers about when the next one is due.

The first one should have been done in December 2018 so, following the 12 months interval from then, its next one should be done in December this year. However, as the first one was done early then a year from that date would mean the next one is due in August this year.

I have called a few dealers and half of them say get the next one done in August with the remainder saying it will be fine to leave it until December which is when it 'should' be done. I don't want any issues with warranty and would appreciate any advice as to when I should get it done.

Thank you.
If you leave it until December the service is 4 months late which is in itself a reason to limit any good will or warranty . Volvo allow a penalty-free month late only ...
Old Jun 17th, 2019, 21:33   #6
Dingle232

Thanks - August it is.

Any advice on the washer fluid issue?
Old Jun 17th, 2019, 21:42   #7
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dingle232 View Post
Thanks - August it is.

Any advice on the washer fluid issue?
There is a vent pipe somewhere behind the bumper , they usually take the full flow from a watering can . The gauze isn't the problem unless it is blocked by Bacteria ..... Volvo wash fluid kills bacteria ..
Old Jun 17th, 2019, 21:59   #8
Dingle232

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clan View Post
There is a vent pipe somewhere behind the bumper , they usually take the full flow from a watering can . The gauze isn't the problem unless it is blocked by Bacteria ..... Volvo wash fluid kills bacteria ..
Thanks - this definitely doesn't take full flow - takes almost half an hour to fill it up.
Old Jun 17th, 2019, 22:15   #9
Steve XC60
Structural member

As Clan said, don't leave it until December or you will have likely voided the warranty.

Perhaps leave the 2nd annual service until a date in September which is just less than one month late (so as to not void the warranty by exceeding the one months' grace). Then do the same the following year for the third annual, except the date will be in October. Same again the following year for the fourth annual, so the date is in November. Then the fifth annual service can be in December which is back in line with the anniversary of its first registration...

... assuming you remain the proud owner of course.
Old Jun 17th, 2019, 22:18   #10
Dingle232

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve XC60 View Post
As Clan said, don't leave it until December or you will have likely voided the warranty.

Perhaps leave the 2nd annual service until a date in September which is just less than one month late (so as to not void the warranty by exceeding the one months' grace). Then do the same the following year for the third annual, except the date will be in October. Same again the following year for the fourth annual, so the date is in November. Then the fifth annual service can be in December which is back in line with the anniversary of its first registration...

... assuming you remain the proud owner of course.
I actually hadn't thought of that Steve so thanks for the suggestion. In all honesty I am considering moving it on next year when it's just under 3 years old but that's by no means set in stone as it will depend on affordability of a new one and I also really like it.

I may look at an Indy dealer to do the service if I can find a reputable one in the Liverpool/Manchester area.

I may even have filled the washer fluid up by then!