Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General Forum for the P2-platform S60 / V70 / XC70 / S80 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

East Anglia New Member V70R

Views : 418

Replies : 8

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jun 18th, 2019, 23:23   #1
HankScorpio
Floppy member

Default East Anglia New Member V70R

Hi all, I've just bought my first Volvo and grabbed what appears to be a pretty fine 2006 V70R.

Its a Japanese import and is in good shape. It has 55k miles on the clock (albeit in km) and needs minimal fettling to get it in top notch condition.

The only real things on my list are to replace the broken stereo (HU850), remove the dodgy Japanese satnav, fix rear wiper and possibly convert clocks and displays to mph and English.

This forum has been a goldmine of information, just wish I'd have read it before unplugging the heater controls. Still, an SRS warning light appears to be some kind of right of passage so we'll put that one down to experience.

If there are any experts in the East Anglia region that would like to give it the once over or have a go, then I'd be more than to chip in a couple of beers. If you've got Vida to turn off the warning lights I'll add more beer. If you can make it talk in English (not sure if you can do it in Vida or if you have to use Volvo Dash) then I'd consider throwing in the wife and kids.

Sadly my photos aren't uploading, I'll try to rectify this tomorrow.
HankScorpio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 19th, 2019, 11:58   #2
Georgeandkira
Premier Member

How does a car made in Belgium which was exported to Japan end up washing ashore in the UK?

Best of luck with it.
Georgeandkira is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Georgeandkira For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 19th, 2019, 12:59   #3
HankScorpio
Floppy member

Now in front of a computer, rather than on the mobile, I've managed to upload some photos, including the Japanese for 'Read the bloody forums before unplugging things'
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20190528_090013_resized_20190619_125305956.jpg (272.3 KB, 40 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20190606_113316_resized_20190619_125305730.jpg (191.0 KB, 35 views)
File Type: png Warning.png (218.5 KB, 44 views)
Old Jun 19th, 2019, 13:51   #4
oragex
Premier Member

Nice find, clean indeed. That Jap display looks like the common DIM fault I remember that site selling Jap cars with low miles.
Old Jun 19th, 2019, 16:17   #5
HankScorpio
Floppy member

Quote:
Originally Posted by oragex View Post
Nice find, clean indeed. That Jap display looks like the common DIM fault I remember that site selling Jap cars with low miles.
Yeah, they bring a fair few in (japcarfinder.co.uk). Seem like an OK bunch.

Mine had gone out for new suspension before I bought it and when I was giving it a check over I noticed the rear suspension hadn't been bolted back in properly (one bolt missing on either side and one bolt not installed properly on the passenger side), safe to say the guy was mortified. In fairness he held his hands up and said he should have checked it. Glad he didn't because it was a good way to get more money knocked off

Luckily we have a half Japanese guy at work for translations. I also have access to clever people that can check the PCB on my amp to see if that's the problem or the stereo (or maybe something more sinister)
Old Jun 21st, 2019, 00:33   #6
barrybritcher
Flaccid Member

are you near Norwich? you can come to my work after my shift sometime and I'll hook up the VIDA
barrybritcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 21st, 2019, 09:32   #7
HankScorpio
Floppy member

Thanks Barry

I'm not too far from Norwich in the grand scheme of things. I'm actually off on holiday later today, so I'll let you know when I get back.

What do you drink?
Old Jun 21st, 2019, 09:53   #8
barrybritcher
Flaccid Member

even better we could meet and the local maccy D lol
barrybritcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 21st, 2019, 11:35   #9
BlueRubber
VOC Member

Welcome to the forum, that looks like a really nice car, congrats!

It would be worth buying VIDA for yourself if you are going to be working on the car. It really is an amasing tool.
You can pickup the dongle for about £50-60 and the easiest way to setup the software is just to use a pre-configured VM.
If you’re not very tech savy you can buy a laptop and dongle all ready to go from a forum member here for a very reasonable price.