Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General Forum for the P1-platform C30 / S40 / V50 / C70 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Possible head gasket failure- options????

Views : 850

Replies : 7

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Aug 16th, 2015, 19:11   #1
simonsen

Default Possible head gasket failure- options????

Hi all I was a very happy owner of my c70 2006 2.4i for whole 2 weeks lol. Unfortunately my eagerness lead me to buy a lemon. Just noticed very high pressure in coolant tank and white like mayonnaise gunk under oil cover.
Now what are my options:
- if it is just a head gasket I will change it
- if it's cracked head or even worse bottom end is cracked I was wondering if I can put t5 engine in my car and if yes what sort of am i facing?
Any ideas greatly appreciated

Also I should really add that I am still driving it I am wondering if I should just Park it and leave it?

Last edited by simonsen; Aug 16th, 2015 at 19:18.
simonsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 17th, 2015, 08:48   #2
Austin160
Master Member

Default Possible head gasket failure- options???

I would say the most important word here is "Possible". Just take it back to basics.
Has the car used any coolant in the two weeks you have used it? (Indeed, did you check that the coolant level at cold was up to the correct mark before starting to use it?). If it has used coolant - how much?
When you say high pressure - how are you checking this?
Is there any evidence of oil in the coolant?
Is there any evidence of creamy white residue on the dip stick when cold?
Is there any significant white smoke at around 2000rpm after a run to ensure the engine is up to temperature?
Does the car overheat, or the temperature gauge rise above normal?
Is the engine breather system clean and serviceable?
All useful questions which require answers before considering reaching for any tool kit.
With regard to the white residue near the oil cap - frequently the result of condensation due to short runs.
Hope this helps to get the symptoms into perspective before touching any tools.
Austin160 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 17th, 2015, 10:59   #3
richardk213

as said above really, worth doing a compression test as well, should indicate if the gasket/head is away?

I have a classic mini, and it always has a white mayo gunk under the oil cap -as said above, short journeys can cause this

I wouldn't panic just yet, just follow Austin160s steps
richardk213 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 17th, 2015, 11:50   #4
Austin160
Master Member

Default Possible head gasket failure - options???

A compression test may, just may, show up a head gasket issue, and is more likely to do so if the failure is between two adjacent cylinders when a lower reading will be obtained on both those cylinders. If the leak is between a cylinder and a waterway then it is possible that the difference in pressures will be difficult to detect unless that leak is significant.
A coolant system pressure test might be more meaningful as a first test if you are convinced of higher than normal reservoir pressures.
Austin160 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 17th, 2015, 12:33   #5
richardk213

Quote:
Originally Posted by Austin160 View Post
A compression test may, just may, show up a head gasket issue, and is more likely to do so if the failure is between two adjacent cylinders when a lower reading will be obtained on both those cylinders. If the leak is between a cylinder and a waterway then it is possible that the difference in pressures will be difficult to detect unless that leak is significant.
A coolant system pressure test might be more meaningful as a first test if you are convinced of higher than normal reservoir pressures.
i stand corrected - Still getting used to modern cars!
richardk213 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 17th, 2015, 18:17   #6
simonsen

Hi guys thanks for your input.
- when I am unscrewing coolant cap pressure throws out loads of coolant
- in two weeks I've lost about 800 ml
- no smoke no overheating
- no oil in collant
- oil was changed last week but it looks milky
My trusted mechanic said that we need to run a compression test tomorrow
Old Aug 17th, 2015, 19:57   #7
cheshired5
Premier Member

Stone cold engine.
Remove expansion cap to release any residual pressure then replace.
Start engine and run for 10 seconds then turn off.
Remove expansion cap again. If you have a pressure release, your HG is almost certainly gone.
Old Aug 26th, 2015, 18:41   #8
simonsen

all clear previous over overheated the engine so head had to be skimmed. i have another problem now i cant find head gasket kits in car shops any suggestions? volvo will charge me hand and leg for it!!!