Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General Forum for the SPA-platform 60- and 90-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

XC90 tyre noise

Views : 6225

Replies : 44

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Dec 17th, 2015, 08:09   #21
xc60ed

As I posted on here before I sold my D5 Inscription after a European trip due to its poor performance, ride and excessive road noise. I got a new XC60 D5 220 SE lux with 20" Titania Alloys and this does not have the ride/noise problems of the XC90. This suggests to me that Volvo have skimped on the suspension and sound proofing with the 90. Not acceptable at the price they are selling them for. I am very concerned with the direction Volvo are taking and intend on keeping the old school Volvo XC60 for some time!
xc60ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 17th, 2015, 08:20   #22
Dutchbird

Have complained to Volvo Customer Sevice as we have the same problem but Volvo keep on deying that there is a big problem.

They are the most incompetent CS we have ever dealt with they just the buck back by referring you to the Vovo dealer ever time.

This problem is way above the dealers pay scale it is inherrnt design problem only to be solved by Volvo Gothenburg.

Wish you all the best with your XC60 ,we had one as well ,only to downgrade to the XC90 ! Big mistake!!!!
Dutchbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 17th, 2015, 08:28   #23
basoom

Thins makes me want to do the same and keep our XC60 D5 SE lux as well as I found it better and more composed against the XC 90 when I test drove it last week.
basoom is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to basoom For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 17th, 2015, 10:36   #24
AB-UK
Premier Member

I assume that the noise intrusion would ruin any benefit of buying the £3000 B&W sound system?
Anyone able to confirm this?

It would be another stick with which to beat Volvo!
AB-UK is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to AB-UK For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 17th, 2015, 11:22   #25
Denedriver

Yes, unless they can fot some noise cancelling software!
Denedriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 17th, 2015, 12:07   #26
Dutchbird

How many other owners are effected by this noise problem, maybe start a poll?

Might be time to have a lemon law in the UK .
Old Dec 21st, 2015, 17:56   #27
thesecretsanta

I generally find the road noise fine in ours, but there are some sections of the M25 with concrete surface I think around leather head/cobham where it's crazily noisy - we're a D5 Momentum on 20" contis
I've not complained officially as we don't have the problem often and never get round to it
thesecretsanta is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to thesecretsanta For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 21st, 2015, 23:46   #28
RoyMacDonald
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thesecretsanta View Post
I generally find the road noise fine in ours, but there are some sections of the M25 with concrete surface I think around leather head/cobham where it's crazily noisy - we're a D5 Momentum on 20" contis
I've not complained officially as we don't have the problem often and never get round to it
I've never owned a car that didn't sound awful on that stretch of motorway. It's at a frequency that drives my wife crazy. It was worst in a VW Golf I had for a while. I didn't try it in the new XC90 I had on loan unfortunately. Neither of the XC90's I drove had 20" wheels.

The dealers will usually change wheels to suit you when you are buying new. They offered to strip out the heated windscreen on their showroom car and replace it with a plain one as I can't drive comfortably with the visual disruption they cause. That is a lot more trouble than changing the wheels.
The Following User Says Thank You to RoyMacDonald For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 22nd, 2015, 10:18   #29
AB-UK
Premier Member

Offering to switch windscreens does smack of some desperation to sell I must say. Then dealers do have a peculiar sense of humour at times; when I told my dealer we might consider the T8 hybrid when it comes out he genuinely asked if we'd buy one of the others in the mean time!

I have in the past commented on the relatively rough ride afforded by bigger wheels and therefore less tyre rubber between the wheels and the road.
However, when I took a Momentum out for a test drive, it had been fitted with 22" wheels as a dealer option. I expected the ride to be less comfortable than my 2010 Exec with 19" wheels, but I didn't find it so.

It was surprisingly smooth and quiet.

Having said that though, before I sign on the dotted for a new XC90 I'm going to insist on a longer test drive and make sure it includes more road types to check the alleged noise problem.

After all, if (big if) you are going to fork out £3000 for the B&W sound system, you want to make sure it can be heard properly.

I know Rolls Royce can do it, so why can't Volvo - and before any one brings cost of the cars into it, the basic materials used in sound insulation don't have to be made from the pelts of rare animals or whatever RR use!
AB-UK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 5th, 2016, 12:17   #30
Dutchbird

The ongoing noise saga is also going on on the Volvo support forum but up to now Volvo has not replied to any of the questions from the effected car owners.

MY16 XC90 D5 P* Inscription & MY15 S60 D4 P* SE Lux Geartronic