Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General Forum for the P2-platform S60 / V70 / XC70 / S80 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

My new volvo ruined 😞

Views : 2102

Replies : 19

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jul 18th, 2014, 10:31   #1
Gh81

Default My new volvo ruined 😞

Having recently joined the world of volvo owners and this forum after buying my beautiful 54 plate v70 d5, an accident yesterday has left me car-less and wanting another.

I am truly gutted as it was a fantastic looking car and great to drive. I'm mildly hopeful that it may be repairable but the realistic side of me says not likely.

So if anyone knows of a 53 plate or onwards volvo v70 d5 for sale, preferably in metallic blue with tan leather then I would be grateful to hear about it.

Fingers crossed for repair in the meantime.

Thanks
Gh81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 18th, 2014, 10:39   #2
martinrpeachey
Premier Member

Hope nobody was hurt. (It's a V70 - I doubt you noticed )

How bad is the damage? It might be worth buying it back if the insurer writes it off.
Old Jul 21st, 2014, 08:11   #3
Gh81

Hi Martin

No body was hurt thankfully. I wasnt surprised that the other wasnt hurt as they pretty much stopped in their tracks but I ended up in a ditch on the side and like you said didnt really notice until I climbed out. I did think about buying it back but unfortuately the damage assessment came back and it just wouldnt be worth it. Am gutted as loved it!!

Got my eye on another one but the prices seem to have gone up since I bought mine the other month. Am looking at an 04 plate but its not the facelift, its got 20,000miles more on it and its coming in at nearly £800 more.

Not to mention I cant find another with the same colour combination. Stunning blue with full tan leather...

Am open to any suggestions of where to look. Ive tried the usual autotrader, ebay, parkers and piston heads.... any other suggestions?

Thanks,

G
Old Jul 21st, 2014, 09:14   #4
martinrpeachey
Premier Member

You could try signing up to other Volvo specific forums - T5D5, VPCUK, Volvotuning and see what's about. Try to stay clear of pre-2004 models and tbh, some 2004 models are late registered 2003 models and potentially troublesome - look for chrome rings around the speedo dials and avoid autos if you can.
Old Jul 21st, 2014, 09:17   #5
Brendan W
Premier Member

No 2 son managed a pirouette into a stone wall a wiped out the front and back of his Focus and set all the fireworks off inside. Officialy the repair estimate was greater than the car value. We got a second opinion out of curiosity from a smaller father and son operation and on the basis of a quote for less than half the amount reversed the decision to replace and repaired an otherwise excellent car. Yes he used some 'spurious' body panels and lights but did a first class job all new parts and reset the SRS light. Worth a look, certainly was in our case
Brendan W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 21st, 2014, 20:26   #6
Gh81

Thanks Martin, will take a look at those and see if anything comes up. Strange you should mention the autos as I prefer manual but the car I'm taking a look at is an auto for a change. Excuse my ignorance but what is it about the autos that I should be staying away from?

Brendan, thanks for that. I didn't realise a second opinion could be sought so readily. Did you have to cover the costs for this and did it impact on the time scale much for the insurance turnaround?
Old Jul 21st, 2014, 20:33   #7
BL08
VOC Member

Default Might be worth trying...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gh81 View Post
Am open to any suggestions of where to look. Ive tried the usual autotrader, ebay, parkers and piston heads.... any other suggestions?
Gumtree?
Old Jul 21st, 2014, 21:38   #8
5imon

Quote:
Originally Posted by martinrpeachey View Post
look for chrome rings around the speedo dials and avoid autos if you can.
Why avoid autos? at 1k + for a new clutch I'm keen to avoid manuals!
5imon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 5imon For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 22nd, 2014, 08:56   #9
Brendan W
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gh81 View Post
Brendan, thanks for that. I didn't realise a second opinion could be sought so readily. Did you have to cover the costs for this and did it impact on the time scale much for the insurance turnaround?
There are plenty of good people looking for honest work and a second opinion costs nothing.
I could write a book about the inflationary effect of insurance on repair costs. The first question in a body shop is ..... is this an insurance job?
We didn't have comprehensive which fosuses the mind of both owner and repairer who has the option to offer a proper price or lose the money to a replacement car salesman.
As we were outside the insurance silliness loop the whole thing took six weeks. The first two was us making our minds up, the last two were down to main dealer delivering the wrong belt tensioner fireworks.
A stingy pill for a young driver but a valuable lesson well learned with no injury to life or limb and new friends made in an excellent repair shop.
In any event even if it were an insurance job, between excesses and loadings most if not all of the real world repair bill would have been clawed back in time.
Insurance doesn't so much protect us from what things cost as protect us from the insurance industry.
Brendan W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 22nd, 2014, 09:18   #10
martinrpeachey
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5imon View Post
Why avoid autos? at 1k + for a new clutch I'm keen to avoid manuals!
Early autos were notoriously troublesome when the miles built up. Volvo insisted they were a sealed unit and never needed any maintenance and by the time it was realised they actually needed a fluid change from time to time, it was too late for most boxes. At around £1500 to replace a box, which had to be the same box and not the newer version due to the software, there have been a lot of early autos getting scrapped.
My clutch cost 1100 quid to change but it lasted 170k miles, 70k of which was during police use/abuse when it was a motorway traffic car.

Then there's the fuel economy and poor performance of the auto cars...

Oh, and the transmission cooler being built into the main radiator? what's that about? If I wanted a gearbox full of water, I'd buy a landrover