Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General Forum for the SPA-platform 60- and 90-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Oil overfill warning??!!??

Views : 15486

Replies : 112

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Aug 8th, 2019, 08:29   #61
weemark

Attach an official JLR document describing the issue (date of issue unknown but indications are around March '18) - I had a Disco Sport for 5 months but this kind of stuff gave me the willies so off it went. Worth also noting the DS was originally set to trigger a 'Service Required' message when oil dilution was believed (estimated by the car, it was not measured) to have reached 6.1%, the point at which excessive engine wear was likely to occur - JLR subsequently reset this to 10%. Go figure!

So advise tread carefully if you're thinking of flipping to one of these vehicles - who knows what the impacts will be but already starting to see issues with bearings, timing chains and what was described as 'catastrophic engine failure'.

Not clear as yet whether the facelifted DS has also addressed the remote coupled DPF, the design nonsense that's caused all of these issues
Attached Files
File Type: pdf oil dil.pdf (389.8 KB, 51 views)
Old Aug 8th, 2019, 14:16   #62
ukden

To think that the Disco Sport was my first choice replacement for my Freelander 2. However, issues concerning having both a towbar and a spare wheel caused me to look at alternatives. SWMBO fell in love with the XC60 (Momentum) seats as soon as she sat in the car (she suffers from a bad back), there was no point at looking at anything else from that moment. We bought that showroom model there and then.

I had no DPF regeneration or EGR issues with my FL2 but my Disco 3 had both EGR valves (V6 engine therefore two EGR valves) replace under warantee.

Wife's current Yaris Diesel is used for all our short runs, shopping etc with occasional 25 mile journeys. It has covered 60,000 miles with no DPF or EGR issues. It is the only car we have owned in which we know when a DPF regeneration is taking place, the fuel consumption almost doubles for about 20 miles. It seems to do a DPF regeneration about every 1000 miles.

Current XC60 has now covered 20,000 miles without any issues. Its use is mainly about 2/3 rural A/B roads with a journey of 25 miles in each direction, plus 1/3 towing a caravan.

Previously: MY2018 XC60 Momentum D4 Auto, Winter Pack, Volvo On Call, Rear camera, Electric deployable towbar, Tempa spare wheel.
ukden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 8th, 2019, 20:32   #63
Quacker
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by weemark View Post
Attach an official JLR document describing the issue (date of issue unknown but indications are around March '18) - I had a Disco Sport for 5 months but this kind of stuff gave me the willies so off it went. Worth also noting the DS was originally set to trigger a 'Service Required' message when oil dilution was believed (estimated by the car, it was not measured) to have reached 6.1%, the point at which excessive engine wear was likely to occur - JLR subsequently reset this to 10%. Go figure!

So advise tread carefully if you're thinking of flipping to one of these vehicles - who knows what the impacts will be but already starting to see issues with bearings, timing chains and what was described as 'catastrophic engine failure'.

Not clear as yet whether the facelifted DS has also addressed the remote coupled DPF, the design nonsense that's caused all of these issues
Thanks for posting that, and especially the .pdf file which is summarised at the end advising JLR customers of the transverse engine vehicles to buy petrol versions.
Whoever in the company designed brand new engines and allowed them to be installed with remote DPF’s that fail to regenerate and that repeatedly squirts excess fuel into the cylinders which washes the bores and rings [no lube from diesel fuel], should be hung drawn and quartered.

My advice would be to avoid these models like the plague, new and used. There is no remedy and there will be no future remedy for existing JLR vehicles.
Old Aug 8th, 2019, 22:18   #64
weemark

Agree entirely Quaker - for a scapegoat look no further the 'His Cravatness', Gerry McGovern, their Chief Design Officer. Engineering report to Design so Design trumps everything - hence word on the street is that he refused to compromise the design of the DS by moving the bulkhead even tho this meant the DPF could not be close coupled, with all the issues we now start to see. JLR's initial position was that this was all down to the customer's driving style and many dealers apparently still push that line - its pretty shameful and God only knows what problems are going to rear their heads for unsuspecting customers, could be a nightmare if the car's out of warranty
Old Sep 2nd, 2019, 10:44   #65
Steve XC60
Structural member

Just following up to my earlier posts on this thread. (I know there is a another similar thread on this at the moment but I thought I should keep my posts together.)

Car went to the dealer, they drained some of the oil off, upgraded the software and sent me on my way. 2,000 miles of trouble free driving since.

I queried the problem as being something that may occur again and I was told that Volvo are continually tweaking the software to try to prevent these issues in the future. Whether that is true or not and whether it makes any difference, I don't know and only time will tell, but that did get me thinking.

Is there any reason why Volvo couldn't program the system to inform you if it was going to do a regen? The system could then give you the option to postpone it (if you were, say, less than 20 minutes from stopping) or let it run (if you knew you were going to be driving for a good while yet). The system could even tell you how long you would need to drive for to allow it to run through properly.

If you postponed it, you would next be asked when the engine next reaches a sufficient operating temperature whether you would like to run the regen.

If you continually postponed it then eventually the system would probably have to force a regen or at least tell you it was going to run the regen and leave it up to you to decide whether to keep driving long enough to let it run through or stop and run the risk of a DPF problem.

It seems that lessons could be learnt from the way the ad blue system warns you to refill adblue (perhaps a countdown to the next regen which allows you to run it early if convenient?) or the way the IT world allows you to schedule software updates generally.

Any reason why this couldn't work? Seems to me it might avoid these sort of problems.

I can see a possible argument against this. What happens if circumstances change and you need to stop for safety or comfort reasons part way through a regen, would you feel pressure to keep driving rather than stop? This seems like a minor point as any decision not to stop clearly rests with the driver and they should stop if needed. Would stopping the car but keeping the engine running be enough to let the regen finish?

Just a few thoughts.
Old Sep 2nd, 2019, 14:37   #66
gaby
Premier Member

Perhaps legislation doesn't allow user input that might alter a regen cycle.
Stopping the car while a regen is active is also a (kind of) user input, but one that can't be prevented.
Old Sep 2nd, 2019, 21:04   #67
Quacker
Premier Member

I don't own one but Isuzu pickups have a monochrome LCD or dot matrix display between the steering wheel and door that shows the extent or proportion of DPF capacity and I believe shows when a regen is in progress. It is quite distracting and useless, because the process is automatic.

Certain plant and equipment, especially off-road vehicles that are likely to be used in high fire risk environments, have an option to have automatic passive regenerations or, for fire safety and id passive hasn't worked, active regenerations which are done while the vehicle is static and in a non-hazardous place. The process sets the engine at quite high revs for at least ten minutes and sets the engine back to idle when done.
Old Oct 21st, 2019, 20:28   #68
MOzS90

So this happened in Sep.

Made the mistake of checking my oil level today and it’s a pixel off the max again having been a good gap from max when it was sorted.

I suspect this will be happening again soon. It’s due a service in Feb so hopefully it’ll hold out until then.

My car never does short journeys so the likelihood of disrupted DPF regents must be a fairly low chance??
Old Oct 22nd, 2019, 07:53   #69
taylora

Quote:
Originally Posted by MOzS90 View Post
My car never does short journeys so the likelihood of disrupted DPF regents must be a fairly low chance??
I do a mix of short and long, once a week 90 mile round trip and exactly the same for me. Three weeks to go and the car goes off lease. Six months ago I was sure it would be another V90 but now I'm feeling glad to see it go.
Old Oct 22nd, 2019, 08:12   #70
gaby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by taylora View Post
Six months ago I was sure it would be another V90 but now I'm feeling glad to see it go.
Isn't this a problem of the diesel engines, not of the model as such?