Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 700/900 Series General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

700/900 Series General Forum for the Volvo 740, 760, 780, 940, 960 & S/V90 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

I said i'll be back!

Views : 24525

Replies : 250

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Nov 24th, 2016, 10:41   #101
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Whatever "normal" is Paul - thanks!

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 24th, 2016, 19:51   #102
rwdkev
VOC member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laird Scooby View Post
......armed with my disc cutter and a few tools..... remove the front box, cut the flanges off the front pipes and box and fit these :

These cured 99% of the blow from the flanges that were so corroded they didn't have a flat mating face between the pair of them! The other 1% i'll get rid of when i move the rest of the system forward again but more of that in a bit.

It turns out there was still a bad blow from one front pipe where the brackets that hold it to the gearbox are were welded on. The brackets are still holding miraculously but it's wrenched a hole in the front pipe

Now a few Jubilee clips, GunGum and a dog-food tin will come to the rescue of the front pipe! I mentioned bringing the exhaust forward again
That's exactly what I would have done....
rwdkev is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to rwdkev For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 24th, 2016, 20:31   #103
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Thanks - just for fun the M6 flange nuts i ordered are too small for the manifold studs. Some deeper digging revealed they are in fact M7 x 1.0, a strange thread favoured by the French, Italians and Germans! As such i've ordered some Vespa cylinder head nuts and washers so hopefully they should be here soon and if i get a good moment i'll have another go.

In other news, the two mirrors i bought on ebay have landed today, the plan is to transfer the good bits to the shell on the car, time will tell if that's viable.
Once i've got the exhaust quiet and the mirror shiny again then it will be going in for MoT soonest, before any more myopic numpties whack this mirror or ATS wreck the exhaust again!

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
The Following User Says Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 28th, 2016, 14:24   #104
ian2000t
Premier Member

Haven't tried LED H4 bulbs, but I would be interested to see the beam output. I've seen HID H4 bulbs that fit in the standard housings and the beam output is awful and just glares, so I avoid those completely.

The best thing I have done to my bus is retro-fitting proper HID projectors into the standard headlamps. Not a cheap option (about £250 shipped from The Retrofit Source in the US), but they flood the road with light, up to the cut off which is a very sharp line. With the fluted glass lens this is softened a bit, but I've not had anyone flash me, so the glare is very minimal if at all.

Attached a few pics of them fitted. Not got any pics of the beam, but the output is actually better than my managers Jag XF with factory HID system.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20150830_172111.jpg (380.1 KB, 16 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20150830_184028.jpg (260.9 KB, 15 views)

1990 Volvo 760 GLE D24TIC ZF22 - 16psi, more fuel, Monark 293 nozzles, 40mm lower, Bilstein TCs, 24/19 ARBs, full Polybushed front, H&R spacers, 17" Titans. Running Veg oil/petrol mix.
Past: 1988 Volvo 740 B230E M46, 1991 Volvo 940 B230FB M47
ian2000t is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ian2000t For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 28th, 2016, 16:37   #105
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

I fitted the M7 nut/washer and got the manifold tight, also found the manifold to downpipe flange nuts were slightly loose both sides so tightened those as well.

Rebuilt the mirror by unscrewing the broken mirror motor, fitting the motor from the replacement and then the glass from the replacement as well :

Replacement mirror motor plugged onto wiring and ready to fit

Fitted, mirror glass connected, ready to clip on

Job done!

Now it's pretty much ready for its test!

In a moment of rash madness (delirium caused by the blood poisoning from the infection causing the rash! ) this morning i phoned up and booked the Volvo in for its annual inspection.

Emptied out all but a handful of tools that i could use to tweak any of the exhaust repairs if they had "settled" then set off across the Fens to the MoT station. Just over an hour later i had two bits of paper in my paws :

Apart from a verbal advise that there is a very slight blow from one of the service joints i fitted (i've found if the nuts aren't tightened perfectly evenly they don't quite go gas-tight) it was a clean-sheet pass. The emissions confirm how well it's running too!

All in all a happy bunny now! Still things to do when i feel better (another ATF part-change for a start) and fit the headlamp wipers and blades amongst other things but it's good to go for winter now.

Last edited by Laird Scooby; Nov 28th, 2016 at 16:46.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 30th, 2016, 16:45   #106
nwisco740

never understood wiper blades on headlights
nwisco740 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 30th, 2016, 17:11   #107
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nwisco740 View Post
never understood wiper blades on headlights
Round my neck of the woods, they're a necessity, not a luxury or even just a gadget.

Take today for example. I went to my local Volvo dealer to confuse them by buying a couple of S/V40 expansion tank brackets. On the way back i got stuck behind a beet lorry. That's beet as in sugar beet which turns the mud in the fields very sticky and very black. This gets picked up by the wheels of the beet lorries and thrown up onto passing or worse still, following cars.
Ignoring for a moment the huge clods of earth covering the roof, bonnet and windscreen and focus on the headlamps. They are also covered - i can't stop to clean them because there is nowhere to stop so what do i do?

Old Nov 30th, 2016, 17:59   #108
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ian2000t View Post
Haven't tried LED H4 bulbs, but I would be interested to see the beam output. I've seen HID H4 bulbs that fit in the standard housings and the beam output is awful and just glares, so I avoid those completely.

The best thing I have done to my bus is retro-fitting proper HID projectors into the standard headlamps. Not a cheap option (about £250 shipped from The Retrofit Source in the US), but they flood the road with light, up to the cut off which is a very sharp line. With the fluted glass lens this is softened a bit, but I've not had anyone flash me, so the glare is very minimal if at all.

Attached a few pics of them fitted. Not got any pics of the beam, but the output is actually better than my managers Jag XF with factory HID system.
Here's an idea of what the beam pattern is like :

Bear in mind where i've parked i'm actually facing downhill and where the garages are is higher with an uphill bit in between. On the open road, they have an excellent range and also being LED, they pick out animal eyes very easily - rats, rabbits, cats, dogs, foxes, hedgehogs etc so they are more easily avoided. Also because they are so close to natural daylight (6000K colour temperature) it's more restful on the eyes driving at night as despite the fact they're much brighter than standard halogen headlamp bulbs, there is less unnatural glare. I have to say that on my 827 coupé i have LED bulbs in the main lights (dipped and full beam originally H4) and a 35W HID bulb in the driving lights. The LED bulbs give a better range than the HID bulbs although the HIDs are better than the halogens i replaced.

On a slightly different subject but still LED related, i took a photo of the dash/instruments/stereo with the green LEDs :

Old Dec 1st, 2016, 21:54   #109
AndysR
VOC Member

I do like the idea of these LED headlights.

Great news on the MOT and pleased to hear that the exhaust is holding out well. I'm in the final stages of sorting my exhaust and hope to have a stainless downpipes back system made around this time next month
Old Dec 1st, 2016, 23:27   #110
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

The LED headlamp bulbs are well worth it Andy, i wouldn't be without them now.

There was a very tiny blow on one of the service sleeves on the exhaust when i got to the test and it was mentioned verbally but in fairness something isn't quite lined up somewhere as the exhaust is vibrating against the car from time to time. Mostly it's quiet and it only seems to vibrate in D when idling.
Got an idea what the matter is and when i feel up to it i'll crawl under with some spanners, a block of wood and a scissor jack and give things a tweak.

Just amassing the bits to sort the headlamp wash/wipe now, becoming a necessity now it's beet season round here! That said the LED bulbs aren't as hot as halogen bulbs so the filth doesn't bake onto the glass instantly which is a bonus.

Other than that and a set of new tyres some time in the not too distant future, it's a case of use it and enjoy it now, at least until the spring when i have a few things planned. One is to renew the headlining material, it's currently black (and sagging in places!) so makes the car feel very confined. Thinking of going for "Cool Grey" to lift things a bit.
Also planning on adjusting the tappets, they're not bad or wildly out but i think the engine would be that bit quieter once they're done.

I'm sure by then i'll have found other things to do besides routine servicing but hopefully nothing too major!