Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General Forum for the SPA-platform 60- and 90-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

new xc90 first impression

Views : 15470

Replies : 168

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Nov 16th, 2016, 22:47   #141
aab203

Quote:
Originally Posted by nu11eaf View Post
Volvo are at last responded to this road noise issue and are going to retro fit quieter tyres to my car, I hope this resolves this and I enjoy driving my car at last. And anyone else who are not happy with there's.
I have also fitted strips of rubber in the gaps either side of the rear door window blinds to stop noise from that area, I cant understand why they did not extend the plastic rod in the top of the blinds to fill this gap when blinds are down. (Permanently in my case)
Has the fitting of the rubber strips made an improvement? Are you able to share any photos to see what the work looks like?
aab203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 16th, 2016, 23:37   #142
nu11eaf
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aab203 View Post
Has the fitting of the rubber strips made an improvement? Are you able to share any photos to see what the work looks like?
I will try and put some photos on here tomorrow, I need to give the car a better test run as I have only tested it at low speed as only fitted them this afternoon but I am sure it was quieter, I will let you know.
nu11eaf is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to nu11eaf For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 17th, 2016, 16:25   #143
nu11eaf
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aab203 View Post
Hope the photos work,

After testing out this at higher speeds there was only a small difference in noise level from the rear windows, at lower speeds it seems quieter, so only a partial success.

IMG_1156.JPG
IMG_1157.JPG
IMG_1160.JPG
IMG_1161.JPG

Last edited by nu11eaf; Nov 17th, 2016 at 16:56.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to nu11eaf For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 17th, 2016, 16:26   #144
Zoo21

Quote:
Do you have an inscription with 20" wheels and Continental tyres and air suspention. I have and its horrid, you were sending yours back for a refund a short while ago, what have volvo done to make you so happy with your car now, its a big change of heart in such a short time.
You've done nothing but rubbish your car on this forum and been very negative about it. I'm sure that your car must hold a lot of its initial value and I wonder why you are holding onto it so long, since it is so 'atrocious' and the worst car you have ever owned.

I've posted my findings and comments from day 1 of ownership but have always been positive about the dealership and hopeful in finding a cure for the issues, working alongside the dealership. I did promise to return the car to them and I did exercise my rights but at all times I was as professional with them - as they were with me. Between us - we have reached a great compromise and the fixes are, as promised - and as I posted weeks ago - forthcoming.
I hope you get the same sort of courtesy from your dealership as I have had and that you at last, end up with a car that you are really satisfied with - It's a great car.
Zoo21 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Zoo21 For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 17th, 2016, 16:50   #145
nu11eaf
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoo21 View Post
You've done nothing but rubbish your car on this forum and been very negative about it. I'm sure that your car must hold a lot of its initial value and I wonder why you are holding onto it so long, since it is so 'atrocious' and the worst car you have ever owned.

I've posted my findings and comments from day 1 of ownership but have always been positive about the dealership and hopeful in finding a cure for the issues, working alongside the dealership. I did promise to return the car to them and I did exercise my rights but at all times I was as professional with them - as they were with me. Between us - we have reached a great compromise and the fixes are, as promised - and as I posted weeks ago - forthcoming.
I hope you get the same sort of courtesy from your dealership as I have had and that you at last, end up with a car that you are really satisfied with - It's a great car.
My dealerdhip have been very helpful and are working with me to resolve the issues with the car, satnav and voice commands now working as they should, sound proofing fitted in B posts (limited success) new quieter tyres due to be fitted soon, I have never had a gripe with my dealership or expressed any form of anger towards them, they have been great, you are correct that I was so disappointed in this car, after parting with £59,000 of hard earned cash, I have never been so disappointed in any of my cars as I was with this one, due to the road noise which spoils this car for me, hopfully the new tyres will make this acceptable and future XC90 owners benefit from a much nicer car. Starting to like the car now apart from the ridiculous road noise, but if this is resolved I will enjoy it.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to nu11eaf For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 17th, 2016, 23:02   #146
Soltan

Quote:
Hope the photos work,

After testing out this at higher speeds there was only a small difference in noise level from the rear windows, at lower speeds it seems quieter, so only a partial success.
Is that part of a windscreen wiper? Nicely done!
Soltan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 18th, 2016, 08:34   #147
Xc902017

I'm really pleased that you guys are getting nearer to a solution for the noise problem with your car.

As some of you know my 20" Inscription, no air, does not suffer from the noise problem that other cars appear to.

My issue all the way along (as detailed elsewhere) has been:

a.) people emotionally venting on these forums without taking any proactive steps to resolve their situation

b.) putting the fear of God into people considering purchasing XC90s, and

c.) not accepting that others are having a different experience to them without being labelled a stooge/ Volvo employee or worse

It's easy to be a moaning keyboard warrior, much tougher to apply some grey matter and the tenacity required to actually seek a resolution - so credit where credit is due.
Xc902017 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Xc902017 For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 18th, 2016, 10:34   #148
nu11eaf
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soltan View Post
Is that part of a windscreen wiper? Nicely done!
I used some rubber glazing strip from an old window but your idea of wiper rubber may work just the same, alas it did not cure all the noise from that area at hight speeds.
Old Nov 18th, 2016, 10:56   #149
familymangreg
Premier Member

Quote:
I used some rubber glazing strip from an old window but your idea of wiper rubber may work just the same, alas it did not cure all the noise from that area at hight speeds.
I certainly value your opinion that a good portion of the noise might be coming from the rear blinds, and you may well be right.

But from analysing the sound for several thousand miles now with my own ears, I do wonder if it just eh rear doors as a whole which appear to let in a lot of doc noise. I can't help but think surfing a load of insulation between the outer rear door skins and the door cards could make a big difference...

Or is it coming more through the rear wheel arches (I've noted the outer material on the underneath of the front and rear wheel arches is different, hard plastic at the front and more of a softer egg box feel at the rear - or have I got that the wrong way around).

I think in my car better insulation all over the rear doors and wheel arches could potentially make a big difference.

:wq
Old Nov 18th, 2016, 11:20   #150
nu11eaf
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by familymangreg View Post
I certainly value your opinion that a good portion of the noise might be coming from the rear blinds, and you may well be right.

But from analysing the sound for several thousand miles now with my own ears, I do wonder if it just eh rear doors as a whole which appear to let in a lot of doc noise. I can't help but think surfing a load of insulation between the outer rear door skins and the door cards could make a big difference...

Or is it coming more through the rear wheel arches (I've noted the outer material on the underneath of the front and rear wheel arches is different, hard plastic at the front and more of a softer egg box feel at the rear - or have I got that the wrong way around).

I think in my car better insulation all over the rear doors and wheel arches could potentially make a big difference.

:wq
Yes I think the whole car needs better sound insulation, I also get a lot of noise from the nearside front and front centre tunnel area, in the T8 this is filled with a battery bank but may have a void there in our car that amplfies noise. But its all been commented and documented on here before so I am hoping all the noisy areas will be much quieter with the new tyres when they arrive.

Last edited by nu11eaf; Nov 18th, 2016 at 11:34.