Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 300/66 Series General

Notices

300/66 Series General Forum for the Volvo 340, 360 and 66 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

340 engine conversion

Views : 5791

Replies : 6

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Apr 10th, 2006, 21:02   #1
Ukshorty

Hi all,

Im very new to the site, so thanks in advance to all who can take any time to help me out a bit.

My question is:
I am gonna buy a 340 1.7. I want to put a turbo'd engine in it/turbo the existing engine. What are my best options for ease of conversion/cost. I have read very different opinions on both this forum and the 300mania forum so im not too sure where to look next.

Am i right in thinkin that the 440 engine will bolt straight in as that was renault manufactured too? Does it just connect straight onto the existing 340 gearbox and driveshaft? Otherwise, will the manifolds and turbo bolt on from any of the other turbo models?

Im not up on my engine codes yet so if anyone replies could i be cheeky and ask that you specify both the engine code and the model it came out of???

Ta very much for any help you can give!

Shorty
Old Apr 11th, 2006, 09:31   #2
Mike_Brace
Former contributor

I know the 2.0 440 engine will bolt straight in. I believe it needs sump changing and there are I believe issues over manifolds but it has been done. I have driven one converted with the n/a (non-turbo) engine and it was very quick.

Mike

Mike_Brace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 11th, 2006, 09:45   #3
LankyTim
Missing the point

It could be easier to buy a 2.0 volvo 360 and then put a 2.3 volvo 740 turbo engine in it. It would be more powerful too!
LankyTim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 18th, 2006, 22:07   #4
foggyjames
300 Register Keeper

The B18FT from a 400 series turbo (440, 460, or 480) will pretty much bolt right in. You'll have to play with both manifolds a fair bit, and probably use a hybrid of mounts, etc.

You'll also need to strengthen the prop. The standard ally / rubber prop on the Mrs' 340 slips a bit if you try to dump all the mighty 72 horses from its 1.4 lump, never mind a turbo unit.

Take a look here for more info on the conversion...
www.huskyracer.50megs.com

cheers

James
foggyjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25th, 2007, 19:57   #5
36016v
SILVER S40 T5 2005

years ago i messed around with the 1.7 engine and the turbo will fit with a bit of rejigging, i opted to go the 2.3 turbo route, ive blown enough of those renault lumps up on trackdays, go with the volvo lump its loads stronger

http://www.higgins340.fsnet.co.uk/
Old Jan 25th, 2007, 21:22   #6
foggyjames
300 Register Keeper

Hiya Mark! Long time no natter!

Those engines don't blow up by themselves, so presumably you were doing something special to them to cause this...extended very high RPM operation?...hardware (cam, worked head, etc?) changes on stock injection system, resulting in running a bit lean, etc? The guys in the US with tweaked 240 turbos were forever blowing stuff up until they ditched the standard management. Megasquirt (cheap DIY programmable EFI) coming on the scene added 50bhp to some famous 'component power limits'.

Huskyracer is making a reliable 205bhp from his 1.7T on Omex management...once he got rid of the uber-cheap Clio headgaskets which popped for a living He was telling me that first time around they went through the parts catalogue (for a laugh) trying to get all the cheapest parts - HG from a Clio, block seal/gasket kit from a Laguna, etc, etc

Actually, now I come to think about it, isn't your 16vT running on Omex?

cheers

James
foggyjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30th, 2007, 19:54   #7
Scott Stephen

Smile

The 1.7t engine from a 440 can instantly be improved to 170BHP with the rpruen mod, and costs only £80!!!!! - Richard Pruen is currently workin on a turbo engine with supercharger + turbocharger and the power output will be extreme. In the past he's set up standard 1.7T engines with bigger turbo's and re-maps to get about 250bhp