Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General Forum for the P2-platform S60 / V70 / XC70 / S80 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Dash rattle

Views : 1124

Replies : 3

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jan 5th, 2011, 10:25   #1
ms1000

Default Dash rattle

My V70 appears to have developed a nasty rattle in the top of the dashboard area, anyone else experienced this ans could direct me to the relevant area to investigate I'd be very appreciative.
also have a drumming at tickover on the uk passenger side, again any ideas would be appreiated.
Mike
Old Jan 5th, 2011, 13:13   #2
Bill_56
Premier Member

Ms1000,

Tracing rattles on my S60 diesel could easily become a full-time job. But I can recall a few that may interest you. As I'm sure you know, but they can be very deceptive and seem to be coming from somewhere else.

One that sounds similar to yours turned out to be a trio of brake pipes that pass across the top of the upper bulkhead under the bonnet. They are secured to the bulkhead by a plastic stand-off with three pipe recesses, which is obviously meant to keep them from touching one another. In my case, the plastic stand-off had disintegrated, allowing the pipes to knock together at certain engine resonances. Sounded just like it was inside the dashboard.

Also, the plastic shroud around the instrument panel was vibrating against the dashboard. Try gently touching the plastic in various places to see if it affects the rattle? Similar rattles I have found to be caused by the bits of metallic trim attached to the door cards. A small piece of paper wedged under the trim often cures it for a while.

Another rattle, this one's a long shot but just maybe related to your drumming noise, was from the plastic trim around the base of the passenger seat. It's held on by a self tapper that had stripped the thread in the plastic 'boss', hence the trim was banging around loose.
Bill_56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 5th, 2011, 16:20   #3
scapa
I've Been Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ms1000 View Post
My V70 appears to have developed a nasty rattle in the top of the dashboard area, anyone else experienced this ans could direct me to the relevant area to investigate I'd be very appreciative.
also have a drumming at tickover on the uk passenger side, again any ideas would be appreiated.
Mike
Had similiar problem turned out after much searching to be the riguid clutch hydraulic pipe which is routed around the back of the ABS module , the protective rubber sleeve around the pipe had worn away allowing the pipe to fret against the bracket , made awfull racket in the cabin at idle
scapa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21st, 2011, 16:00   #4
ms1000

Cheers guy's, culpret for the rattley one was indead a broken pipe bracket on passenger side, quick fixed with zip tie and a piece of foam, still hunting for the drumming though, seems the rubber bobbins under the acoustic engine cover have gone quite hard, possible source I wonder, it does rattle a bit a tickover.
Mike