Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General Forum for the P2-platform S60 / V70 / XC70 / S80 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

My first ever MOT

Views : 1548

Replies : 14

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jan 20th, 2011, 20:16   #11
chiptivo
Premier Member

It is interesting the word, unroadworthy..

Say a rear seatbelt was broken.

It then becomes unroadworthy, which is is obviously not..

Also, in most countrys a MOT is two yearly, why in the UK is it every year??

Last thing, I gave the MOT tester my locking wheel nut thingy, and he gave it right back saying it is not required???
chiptivo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 20th, 2011, 20:42   #12
obbard
fed up of snooty people

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiptivo View Post

Last thing, I gave the MOT tester my locking wheel nut thingy, and he gave it right back saying it is not required???
Theory is a car should be maintained at all times, remember a MOT is just a check it passes this test.

The classic is brakes, the car can pass a test if the pad are worn thin and little pad left as long as braking efficiently ok, you would get an advisory, but it would still PASS, but is it maintained in good condition NO

Or spare wheel is bald, so take it out before no requirement to have one!

bodged exhaust, as long as not leaking and not dangerous then ok

etc, etc, etc etc

Every year, money IMHO
obbard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 20th, 2011, 22:15   #13
S60D5-185
Me ? Surely Not!

Location: 2007 Volvo XC90 D5 Geartronic. South of Hadrians Wall.

My point is that if for example, as previously stated the examiner finds that my rear seat belt is not working properly and my MOT expires the same day my car is off the road until fixed and retested as i do not have a current MOT. Big problem if i cannot get hold of the part for a week.

If on the other hand i go for my test 3 weeks early and the same fault is found, the car is still nonetheless unroadworthy BUT to all extents and purposes it has a current MOT, still usable ( i know it is an offence ) until i get hold of a replacement belt. Obviously not an option if you regularly carry rear seat passengers.

I am not suggesting that my method gives you Carte Blanche to drive a grossly unroadworthy vehicle around for an extra few weeks just the fact that it gives you a window of opportunity to quickly repair less serious issues and remain mobile.

Darryl

Last edited by S60D5-185; Jan 20th, 2011 at 22:20.
S60D5-185 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 20th, 2011, 22:18   #14
S60D5-185
Me ? Surely Not!

Location: 2007 Volvo XC90 D5 Geartronic. South of Hadrians Wall.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiptivo View Post

And the Definition of unroadworthy is ?

The Road Traffic Act 1988 does not give a definition of what is "unroadworthy", but instead makes reference to the following areas that, if not satisfactory, may lead to a vehicle being unroadworthy: -

• Steering and steering gear
• Brakes and braking systems
• Tyres;
• Exhaust systems;
• Seatbelts and seatbelt anchorages;
• General condition (corrosion, suspension etc).

In short a vehicle may be classed as being unroadworthy if it is in such a condition that its use on the road would endanger the driver, passengers, other road users or pedestrians.

There are also regulations, which, set out construction requirements for various components such as brakes, steering, gears, tyres, construction, weight and equipment of the vehicle. If a vehicle fails to meet the requirements it may also be considered unroadworthy.
Darryl

Last edited by S60D5-185; Jan 20th, 2011 at 22:27.
S60D5-185 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 20th, 2011, 22:41   #15
Brendan W
Premier Member

This drives me nuts. Of all the unfortunate souls killed or maimed last year , what percentage was due to unroadworthy vehicles ? When are we going to have annual checks for unroadworthy drivers ? Would seem like a far better use of time. The fact that 20% of us being found unroadworthy would put a large dent in a lot of coffers , state and private - that's why. Precisely.
Brendan W is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Brendan W For This Useful Post: