Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General > ETM Issues
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

ETM Issues Discuss issues regarding the problems with ETMs fitted to Volvo cars.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Etm refurb not worked

Views : 3560

Replies : 13

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Mar 22nd, 2012, 18:44   #1
blackpool

Default Etm refurb not worked

I bought a 2000 2.4 V70 automatic recently. Within weeks the ETS light coming on then had partial limp mode on retun from one journey. Seems to respond to switching on and off ok, then engine warning light came on ans stayed on.

Mechanic re-set but light came back on so sent ETM away for a refurb (mechanic sent it). Cost £250.

Problem has recurred just as bad as previously. ETS light comes back on but goes off when you switch engine off and on, engine light comes on intermittently.
Took back to garage and mechanic put the computer on it and it reads as 'internal throttle fault'....... but as i had disconnected battery day it started going wrong again I was advised this can throw faults up to give it a run and see if its righted itself............ No it hasnt, lights coming back on.

Any ideas, for eg would it be advisable to get Volvo dealers to have a look at it and just see if its not been re-programmed right or something simple or should I ask mechanic to send the unit back to the people who are supposed to have fixed it for checking. Seems I have spent £250 and have the same problem as before. Love the car, hate the problem.

Oh and its only doing about 17 mpg around town which seems rather low but that might be just that its 12 years old and has seen its best days, who knows, my biggest concern is what my girfriend refers to as the volvo disco lights ! ETS and Engine light.
blackpool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 22nd, 2012, 19:13   #2
mikealder
VOC Member

Where did your mechanic send the ETM to, bbaremanufacturing offer a two year warranty but others might be less - Mike
mikealder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 22nd, 2012, 19:44   #3
spokoluzik
Trader

Internal fault can not be fixed at all. In most of cases problem is in throttle position sensors, which being replaced by one dual channel contactless one.
Got two options. Ring company and ask to refund your money, then go to dealers and buy new one. Another: buy one frOm breaker or eBay and refit sensor for peace of mind.

http://volvodiagnostic.com/
spokoluzik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 22nd, 2012, 23:04   #4
blackpool

Thanks for responses. Im not sure what the name of the firm was, mechanic said they were the last people that do it in UK, he sent it to kent.

If it was repaired succesfully then it should have worked howver the more I read about this ETM issue the more other things seemingly might contribute.

I think I will go back and get the codes its throwing up and come back.

Any idea what a new one at dealers is likely to cost ?
Old Mar 23rd, 2012, 00:09   #5
deathrider311271
I've Been Banned

Just because your ETS light comes on it does not condem the ETM this is a whole system not just one part.

Just a few examples of when ETM light will come on:

Accelerator pedal fualty
Brake pedal sensor
clutch pedal sensor]
knock sensors
wireing fault

This list is from personal experience, when my knock sensors failed they were fine on tick over all readings correct but the revs were up and down lack of power, then normal power.

As you have said get the codes read and post back, we will try and help you lol

Simon
deathrider311271 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 27th, 2012, 08:48   #6
blackpool

Here is my update. Took it into Volvo dealers who did the diagnostics and could only find old fault codes which they have cleared and they have installed upgraded software. Cost £113. The technician said if the problem recurs then its the throttle unit needs replacing (which I have just had refurbed by BBA) which I find odd if his diagnostics did not show a fault.

Within 24 hours problem is back, its driveable still , as its always been , just gets a bit tempremental and goes into a brief limp mode in the morning until I switch off and on a few times and then the engine light comes on to join in and say hello. but tends to drive ok after that. Now I think my next step should be to get the throttle unit sent back for checking at BBA.

The Volvo dealers did do a 'health check' on the car and found the expansion hose is loose (but didnt do anything to it, could that be connected I wonder ?

other things he highlighted were, a cracked brake hose.

Anyway I wonder if anyone has suggestions based on what I have said so far in this thread, its getting very perplexing and given I only bought it recently all I seem to be doing is feeding it hundreds of pounds. I would really appreciate any advice.
Old Mar 28th, 2012, 08:31   #7
blackpool

Just to add to yesterdays post, I now have new things going on , it was hunting and shooting up revs stationary(from o - 3,000) this morning until I had turned on and off a few times, its been running fine since, engine management light has been on and off but strangely no ETS light this morning.

Its really bizzare that with each step I have taken to remedying the original problem it just throws something new up. I am having the ETM sent back to BBA on Friday though I cant say its with any feeling of hope and just expect them to say the unit tests 'fine'. You may detect an edge of pessismism !

I had a reply from deathrider suggesting some things to check, acclerator & clutch pedal etc, but how do I even test them if Volvo diagnostics shows no fault codes. Any ideas gratefully received
Old Mar 28th, 2012, 13:28   #8
Jameshow

Could be that the ecu is over heating mine got very hot. I now Have case slightly ajar. Also it only ran rough when I booted it. So I drive more saintly now. I can reset the codes which removes the rough running. Yours james
Jameshow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 5th, 2012, 15:08   #9
blackpool

ETM went back to BBA last Friday for checking as fault still existing, sadly not done before easter, thankfully my mechanic has let me have a car for the holiday period.
Does anyone know what turnaround BBA are quoting ?
Old Apr 11th, 2012, 17:01   #10
blackpool

News back from BBA is that they have found a 'mechanical problem' on ETM which cannot be fixed so I will have to get a new one from Volvo.
I am not clear what refund situation is as yet but mechanic said it will probably be a partial refund.

Any views. Should I get afull refund ?

And does anyone know where I can get a new one done at the best price in Sussex ? Would really appreciate any suggestions.