Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > Diesel Engines

Notices

Diesel Engines A forum dedicated to diesel engines fitted to Volvo cars. See the first post in this forum for a list of the diesel engines.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Drive belt failure any hope or am I doomed?

Views : 774

Replies : 3

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Nov 23rd, 2020, 14:57   #1
Mowogler

Default Drive belt failure any hope or am I doomed?

Hi all,

My Volvo 2003 v70 d5 163’s drive belt failed on one edge and the loose end got pulled into the camshaft pulley on the end of the crankshaft and there are four or five strands wrapped round it like seaweed on a propellor

The cam belt has survived and the cams rotate when you bump the engine over and the engine sounds like it’s got compression (only bumped it once to see if the cams were still moving. They were)

But the engine code for cam position sensor has been thrown up

I’m guessing it’s bad but has anyone else had this and got away with it? Going to Euro’s now to pick up new cam belt and aux drive belt

I gues if it’s just slipped a couple of teeth I might have got away with it.

I was doing about 50 engine power dropped off for 2-3 seconds then cut out and service engine message. I didn’t hear any nasty noises, but would I have?

Anybody out there willing to send me some hope or am I clutching at straws?

Phil
Mowogler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 23rd, 2020, 17:02   #2
cheshired5
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mowogler View Post
the cams rotate when you bump the engine over and the engine sounds like it’s got compression (only bumped it once to see if the cams were still moving. They were)
You would have been better to manually rotate the crank with a ratchet until the camshaft markings align then check the crank markings.

Using the starter motor to turn a suspected out of time engine is asking for trouble.
The Following User Says Thank You to cheshired5 For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 23rd, 2020, 23:05   #3
Mowogler

Well, the news is not good. The cam had properly jumped.

Got the crank pulley off, removed the drive belt tendrils from the crank cam pulley and checked the cam timing

With the cam timing marks aligned the crank marks should have been at 12 o’clock. The crank was at 7 o’clock, so approx 160 degrees out.

I realigned the crank and found what felt like compression on all 5 turning the crank.

Hope!

Tried to start it and it fires but won’t run. Sounds like it’s missing on 2 or 3 out of 5. Came in at that point as ran out of day.

Going to recheck I got the cam timing right tomorrow morning then cost up the various options, but it’s not looking good for this one.....
Mowogler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 25th, 2020, 07:55   #4
dingov70
Master Member

Hello there , if your crank / cam timing is out ,at the very least you can expect bent valves . These can feel like compression as you turn the engine over & the edge of the valve impacts / presses onto the piston crown . You may get away with replacing valves , but you are more likely to require a complete cylinder head , as additional damage may have occurred i.e. cracked/ broken cams , broken cam carriers , broken valve guides .

I know this from bitter experience , more than once ! ( both belts were well within their service life period )