Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General Forum for the 850 and P80-platform 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Fitting air-con and child seats to my ten year old 850 estate

Views : 976

Replies : 7

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Oct 31st, 2003, 09:16   #1
jeremy

Default Fitting air-con and child seats to my ten year old 850 estate

I have a 1993 850 estate GLT 2.5 20 valve automatic, 90,000 miles.
We want air conditioning, child seats and a top box. The question is should we sell and buy another car or get these things fitted. I've got a price of £1050 plus VAT for fitting aircon from a firm I phoned from yellow pages. My garage say they don't do fitting child seats.

Some people have said to me its not worth the expense of fitting aircon given the age of the car, and that aircon not fitted at the factory is never as good. Any thoughts on this?

How could I find out if seats can be fitted and if so how much it would cost? Are they safe? Are they comfortable - and for what ages?

How long do you think I should expect the car to last in good shape. We do about 10,000 miles a year - another 5 years?

Any ideas and experiences appreciated.
Old Oct 31st, 2003, 10:23   #2
liuleichan
Premier Member

Default RE: Fitting air-con and child seats to my ten year old 850 estate

>I have a 1993 850 estate GLT 2.5 20 valve automatic, 90,000
>miles.
>We want air conditioning, child seats and a top box. The
>question is should we sell and buy another car or get these
>things fitted.

With fairly expensive things like air con, it's normally always cheaper / more cost-effective to replace your car with a model that has the things you want.

I suppose if you could get the parts (say salvage) fairly cheap, and could do it yourself, it may be a different thing.

>I've got a price of £1050 plus VAT for fitting
>aircon from a firm I phoned from yellow pages.

Personally, I'd steer away from aftermarket air-con, unless you are very committed to this car. And even then, I'd probably only consider implementing the Volvo stuff - normally on fairly modern cars, air con integrates with the ECU.

To be honest, I'd change the car for one with air con, if it were that important to you.

>My garage say
>they don't do fitting child seats.
>
>Some people have said to me its not worth the expense of
>fitting aircon given the age of the car,

Normally true. Unless you are very committed to the car - and even then, looks an imposing task.

>and that aircon not
>fitted at the factory is never as good.

Well I can certainly see the logic in that.

>Any thoughts on
>this?

I'd say the convention wisdom is largely true, unless you are in very special circumstances.

Things like this, or auto-manual (or vice-versa) conversions are normally fraught with problems, expense, and it's generally accepted more more sensible to change your car for one with the features you want.

>How could I find out if seats can be fitted and if so how
>much it would cost? Are they safe? Are they comfortable -
>and for what ages?

What sort of child seats?

What do people like mothercare and halfords say?

>How long do you think I should expect the car to last in good
>shape. We do about 10,000 miles a year - another 5 years?

If maintained well, I can't see any reason. My Volvo is five years newer, but has 50k more miles on the clock than yours, and still feels like a new car to drive.

>Any ideas and experiences appreciated.

To be honest, air con on the early to mid 850s was known to be problematic - for many an expensive thing to maintain. Personally, I wouldn't buy a car without it - but if you've bought the car (how long have you owned it) and had it for some time, is it truly worth the expense (either to have it installed, or change for a car that has it)?

I would have thought the child seat thing shouldn't be too difficult to resolve - the rest will come down to your priorities. If you really want / need these things, my honest advice would be to change cars - and be wary of air con known to be problematic for 850s.

Lei Chan
liuleichan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 31st, 2003, 21:30   #3
Chris_Rogers
VOC Member

I would agree, also be aware that you would be sending more than the a 10 year old car's worth.
I'd save the money and go for a V70.
Chris_Rogers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 31st, 2003, 21:39   #4
sholtby
Premier Member

It appears you are rather attached to your car to consider all the mods. Possibly owned it from new.
In my opinion I would go and look at some other cars. Its just too muchmoney and trouble to fit all those options to your car.

Simon
sholtby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 31st, 2003, 21:53   #5
cootuk
Premier Member

Remember for child seats the 850s have quite short seatbelts.
Mothercare have a free fitting service so you can try a few out, but they don't seem to have a list of what will fit directly...I think one of the Graco did from what I remember in another thread.
Of course there's always the official horrendously expensive Volvo baby seat.

Top boxes...best to have a look in Halfords as you'll also need some sort of fixing to attach it to the roof....does your car already have roof rails?

Air-con....as all the above....if your car works well then do you really want it. I know it's nice to have, but is it really worth changing your car for, or can it wait a few years for the next car?
I decided against air-con after I read all the stories about how the evaporator fails, plus the 850 I bought was a 'good one'.
Next car will have air-con, but I'm not changing just for that.

cootuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 31st, 2003, 22:20   #6
ajm
Master Member

I was assuming the child seat the original poster mentioned is the rear-facing boot mounted seat, not an ordinary baby seat. Or maybe the fold-out armrest child seat?

When I was young we had several 240 estates with a rear-facing seat in the boot, which I travelled in. As far as I can remember it was quite comfortable and good fun - we used to get waved at by lots of people in cars behind!

If the OP meant the fold-out armrest seat, my 850 has one but I've obviously never sat in it! My son is too young for it at the moment, but in any case it's really only suitable for occasional use. There's very little padding indeed so I wouldn't expect it to be overly comfortable.

Cheers,

AJ
ajm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 1st, 2003, 09:43   #7
jeremy

Thanks - I bought the car from my brother 3 years ago and even then i really wanted aircon, and after last summer, and especially with (now) 3 young children it seems essential. Really i just wanted to avoid the whole time consuming and expensive business of changing cars - and at present can't afford a budget that would get me one much newer. But everybody agrees with you. Any ideas on best ways to look at what price I could get for mine and what I could get - in the past I've looked at Loot and Parkers but haven't had to do this for a long time. The child seat thing I meant was the built in back facing seats in the boot.
Old Nov 2nd, 2003, 16:40   #8
sholtby
Premier Member

Try looking on the autotrader.co.uk site for prices of cars similar to yours and for the car you want to buy.

Simon
sholtby is offline   Reply With Quote