Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General Forum for the 850 and P80-platform 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Soon to buy 855 T5 - auto or manual?

Views : 2104

Replies : 24

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Oct 16th, 2003, 22:59   #21
Simon J
Premier Member

Default RE: Soon to buy 855 T5 - auto or manual?

And just to get back to the original question of manual versus auto...!!!!:D I've had two T5s, both autos by choice at a wallet lightening £1100 each time from the option list. And while I would fit the definition of an 'older' driver I actually don't think that is the issue. I think that the T5 is just much nicer to drive when all that power (or at least most of it taking account of the torque converter!) is available with just a flex of the ankle. And while I do miss the hooligan button (for sport mode) on my previous car with the four speed box, the smoothness of full throttle changes on the new five speed is awesome. Full acceleration is just a seamless surge until you run out of road or nerve (or both) with only an eye on the rev counter to tell you when it changes gear. Well, OK, if I turned down the hi-fi I could probably tell from the exhaust note!

So my vote is for the auto every time.
Simon J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 17th, 2003, 10:14   #22
liuleichan
Premier Member

>r u still having one of your bad weeks????!!!

Projection and denial.

How many people, in this thread have taken some issue with what you've posted? And with that in mind, how many people, *other* than you have complained about what I contributed? And yet, you would assert, it's me who has the problem... okey dokey, whatever makes you feel better.

>go away

Awww, cry me a river.

> and have some chocolate i've heard it helps.

So you're a comfort eater?

Lei Chan
liuleichan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 1st, 2003, 19:00   #23
Big Lee

I`m an auto fan too, from driving manual cars for the past 14 years an auto is fantastic! The sport mode is great for those speedy moments & no more being in the wrong gear either. The only question is how do they hold up to getting chipped? :D

Lee
T5 CD Auto
Old Nov 2nd, 2003, 16:45   #24
sholtby
Premier Member

I have read on more than one occasion, that the autobox is not as strong as the manual so you can draw your own conclusions. I would think the chip will be different as I think the ecu controls the autobox or at least communicates with another gearbox ecu.

Simon
sholtby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2nd, 2003, 16:45   #25
sholtby
Premier Member

I have read on more than one occasion, that the autobox is not as strong as the manual so you can draw your own conclusions. I would think the chip will be different as I think the ecu controls the autobox or at least communicates with another gearbox ecu.

Simon
sholtby is offline   Reply With Quote