Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General Forum for the P1-platform C30 / S40 / V50 / C70 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

AC Compressor clutch puller tool (UK) ?

Views : 270

Replies : 2

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Mar 17th, 2024, 11:20   #1
RPhoboS

Default AC Compressor clutch puller tool (UK) ?

I'm just wondering which compressor clutch tool to grab from ebay/amazon - the bearing is shot, and I don't have the energy (or skill) to fab one myself.

I think it's 3x 5mm bolts that go into the face of it but the kits don't list the bolt sizes (I'm sure I have some that'll fit).

This is the kind of kit I meant:
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/403900453439
RPhoboS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 17th, 2024, 12:53   #2
4x4
Premier Member

My compressor was seized when I bought the car, when it was replaced I stripped the old compressor and never had any problems removing the clutch
Volvo 850 GLT website
4x4 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 22nd, 2024, 10:26   #3
RPhoboS

Just an update if anyone else finds that their AC compressor sounds like a bag of nails in a tumble dryer...

I did make several mistakes but managed to replace the most shot bearing I've ever felt, now it's all sorted and back together.

This kit works, comes with 3 m5 bolts (smallest ones), they will fit the front of the clutch.
One thing I didn't realise or see anyone mention (except on a youtube comment) so I'll expand on it now for future help.

Zap off the 10mm bolt in the compressor but and this is important, put that bolt back in (or use another slightly longer if you have it, m6 I think) but just so its engaged a few threads, loose but not utterly wobbly.

Take the 3 small bolts, the round disc and the bolt that fits through the centre of the disc (the one with a spike). Fit the 3 small bolts through the disc to the face of the clutch, just hand tight so they're in the same amount.
Take the spiked bolt that fits through the middle and tighten it, this will push against the bolt you have in there and push the clutch off. Obviously if you put the bolt in there too far, it'll only push out until it reaches the bolt, and you'll need to loosen it a bit more until it pushes out fully.
It'll be off in seconds.

Unless you're an idiot like me and didn't realise that a bolt needed to be in there already, and end up stripping the threads on the clutch
So yeah, after reading that comment, I realised my dumb mistake and had to just drill\tap the face plate and find a couple of suitable bolts, doh.

Then take off the snap ring, and a little wrestle with the pulley wheel (pry bar as Volvo wisely put an AC pipe in front of the compressor ), and tapping out the old bearing and pressing a new one in (I used the old bearing to ensure it was pushing on the outer metal rim), stake it in place.

I used one of these kits as I had one in the garage:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Bearing-Car.../dp/B0788GBW72

Hopefully that's of some use to someone else.
RPhoboS is offline   Reply With Quote