Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General Forum for the P1-platform C30 / S40 / V50 / C70 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Air conditioning compressor not working

Views : 2301

Replies : 13

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jul 25th, 2023, 13:40   #11
Westy117

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simmy View Post
first check all the wires were connected when belt changed check for power at the relay if none check fuses use a multi meter or a test light to check for power volvo sell shims to set clutch gap they are basically just different thickness washers you should be able to see the ac clutch working with an assistant working the switches look in vida for part nos for shims or ask at the parts counter.
To update, I booked my car in with a local garage. They had provided a quote to supply and fit an aftermarket compressor if indeed it did require replacement.
On inspection though, they found that the electrical connection to the compressor had been left unplugged when the cylinder head and belts were replaced. Plugged it back in and the a/c is back working. I will monitor it though, as before all this the a/c would sometimes stop working so I do think the compressor clutch will need re-shimming or at least the cable tie method.
Westy117 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Westy117 For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 6th, 2023, 22:34   #12
mfevans1

Thumbs up Air Con not working

I had no aircon on my 2010 s40. I bought the car in July so had no idea how the climate control works. When I press air con button to the on position, the green indicator lights up but no cold air. I noticed that the compressor clutch did not engage on any noise from the engine cooling fan....silence. If I by- passed the air con relay the compressor clutch would engage and if the car was moving the air con would get cold (But 'anti-skid service in info panel') . Installed vida and through this software you can switch the a/c compressor as well as the cooling fan at 1/2 speed. The compressor clutch engaged proving that circuit worked. On switching the cooling fan on ..... Silence. I checked to see if the was a supply to the fan (Fuse checked out ok and there was a 12v permanent supply to the fan control module). The fan is fired from a signal from the ecu. This signal is, I believe, a digital one and can only be measured with an oscilloscope. The fan control module is available as a spare via eBay (May be a copy original is a bosch) so I bought a complete fan unit inc. said module from a scrap car via eBay. To test I plugged replacement cooling fan, switched the air con on and low and behold the clutch engaged and the cooling fan came on........aircon fixed. Hope this helps someone.
mfevans1 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to mfevans1 For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 27th, 2024, 14:20   #13
Typhoon09

mfevans1 I'm getting exactly these symptoms. What do you mean by changing the fan and control module? Does the system have a seperate fan to that of the engine coolant one? I don't suppose you have a link or picture to the item you replaced?

So far I've checked the voltage at the fuse, relay, applied a voltage to the compressor and it kicks in fine. I've bridged the high pressure sensor with no luck, and unsure how to bridge the low pressure sensor as there are three wires there. But now just got anti skid warnings on dash.... Thanks!
Typhoon09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 27th, 2024, 18:45   #14
Simmy
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westy117 View Post
To update, I booked my car in with a local garage. They had provided a quote to supply and fit an aftermarket compressor if indeed it did require replacement.
On inspection though, they found that the electrical connection to the compressor had been left unplugged when the cylinder head and belts were replaced. Plugged it back in and the a/c is back working. I will monitor it though, as before all this the a/c would sometimes stop working so I do think the compressor clutch will need re-shimming or at least the cable tie method.
the simple fixes are always the best get the air con clutch shimmed properly as it s a mesured clearance
Simmy is offline   Reply With Quote