Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > Performance Volvo Cars
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

Performance Volvo Cars A forum for those interested in any Volvo performance car from any era, FWD, RWD and AWD!

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

850R Engine oils ?

Views : 6772

Replies : 86

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Closed Thread

Old Aug 17th, 2006, 15:58   #41
chow

Quote:
Originally Posted by hamish View Post
You would be hacked off if you sent your 850T5 down to Tesco's to buy the beer and it came back with own brand French Lager ! So why when you go to Halfords / Factors do you buy 'own brand' oil of the wrong grade for your beloved 850 T5 !
The Manual / Volvo says that the 850 T5 in a temperate climate should use a quality 10W40 semi (i.e. Shell Helix Plus, Valvoline Maxlife, Texaco Havoline, Castrol whateveritis.)
The later cars (post '99) are designed to run on a quality 5W40 fully or a quality 10W40 semi.
So use a quality branded oil and change it at the recommended intervals, if you are feeling 'flush' (excuse the pun ) change the oil at half intervals.
Changing the oil more often than half intervals, when using quality oils (unless you are going on a racetrack) is not necessary.
Using a flushing additive or a flushing oil is a very good idea, especially on older cars or cars that do alot of short journeys. However DO NOT use fresh synthetic oil especially on it's own as flushing oil as this would be pointless ! (they are designed not to take on board the crud, petrol, dirt etc that is inside your engine and do this for 1000's of miles, so it will probably just leave all the crud, petrol, dirt etc in your engine !)

Regards,
Hamish.
www.volvotuninguk.com
halfords own brand is a high quality product made by a respected producer , look at th APIi rating it has it easily exceeds volvos spec and further volvo dont specify that the oil required for the t5 should be full syn or semi it merely gives a standard (which many mineral oils meet.)

Old Aug 17th, 2006, 18:03   #42
MIKES T5R

Smile

Do you live on planet earth,as i think you spend all your time swatting up on info but probably cannot even drive!!!
Old Aug 17th, 2006, 20:29   #43
chow

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIKES T5R View Post
Do you live on planet earth,as i think you spend all your time swatting up on info but probably cannot even drive!!!
i realise that to someone as ill informed as you (i and most others on here must appear very knowledgable), however no need for the insults after all thats the whole idea of the forum to share info, keep reading the posts and who knows one day even you may be in a postion to offer some constructive advice (however i wont hold my breath)

Old Aug 17th, 2006, 20:39   #44
MIKES T5R

Smile

You started the insults by saying i was talking rubbish.You can give it but cannot take it.You might think you know everything but you are sooooo wrong. I cant be bothered replying anymore as i've got more important things to do, like having a life.May i suggest you get one to.
Old Aug 17th, 2006, 20:52   #45
chow

sorry old chap i wasnt insuting you i was being factual, you were talking rubbish, your claim that bmw /audi design there engines so as as to burn oil to remove the "crud" (your words) is frankly ridiculous engines as ive said before engines only burn apprecable amounts of oil if theres bore /ring , guide/seal /turbo wear or problems with the crankcase breathing, and a thingy called the oil filter removes the "crud." no manufacturer in this day and age design a engine to burn oil.

Old Aug 17th, 2006, 21:02   #46
MIKES T5R

Smile

Phone BMW and ask them why there newer cars need to be topped up between services. It's not because they have worn engines as you suggest.
Old Aug 17th, 2006, 21:58   #47
imac
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chow View Post
no manufacturer in this day and age design a engine to burn oil.
Actually old bean, its well known in performance circles that high performance variants of standard cars such as Audi's RS4 and BMW M5 burn a modest amount of oil in between services as a matter of course - its even documented in the handbooks and certainly not a problem with any of the engines
Old Aug 17th, 2006, 22:40   #48
DeejayP999

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIKES T5R View Post
You also say that most of the companys stating that there oil is fully synthetic when it isn't. How is this possible if it says it is on the labeling. The oils have to meet the A.P.I standard (i presume you know what A.P.I. stands for).
Mike, basically there's 2 sorts of "Synthetic" oil. One is made by reassembling molecules of petroleum gas to make an oil (eg Mobil 1) and the other type is made by modifying mineral oil molecules in a process known as "Cracking" (eg the Castrol synthetics).

Neither of the resultant oils occur naturally, so both can reasonably be termed "Synthetic", however oils made by the latter method are arguably modified mineral oils rather than full synths.

Though it's doubtful if your engine can tell the difference.

Incidentally, the API standards have nothing to do with whether an oil is synthetic or not.

Last edited by DeejayP999; Aug 17th, 2006 at 22:43.
Old Aug 17th, 2006, 23:01   #49
MIKES T5R

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeejayP999 View Post
Mike, basically there's 2 sorts of "Synthetic" oil. One is made by reassembling molecules of petroleum gas to make an oil (eg Mobil 1) and the other type is made by modifying mineral oil molecules in a process known as "Cracking" (eg the Castrol synthetics).

Neither of the resultant oils occur naturally, so both can reasonably be termed "Synthetic", however oils made by the latter method are arguably modified mineral oils rather than full synths.

Though it's doubtful if your engine can tell the difference.

Incidentally, the API standards have nothing to do with whether an oil is synthetic or not.
Thanks for the polite mature response. My original thread was mainly about the CASTROL EDGE oils which the newer bmws have to use and the reasons behind it, but this Chow guy disagrees.
Old Aug 17th, 2006, 23:06   #50
MIKES T5R

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by VolvoT5 View Post
Actually old bean, its well known in performance circles that high performance variants of standard cars such as Audi's RS4 and BMW M5 burn a modest amount of oil in between services as a matter of course - its even documented in the handbooks and certainly not a problem with any of the engines
Thanks for that.

One of the new Castrol Edge oils is actuallly labeled "Edge Sport for M powered performance engine Bmws".And as i've said Bmw will put a litre in the boot when you buy one because it's expected to use oil.
Closed Thread