Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General Forum for the SPA-platform 60- and 90-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Buying my first Volvo - XC90 T8 - looking for advice

Views : 5622

Replies : 42

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jan 19th, 2023, 12:38   #11
eugeneville

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giles11 View Post
After over 5 years (took delivery of MY18 in Nov 17) and 48k miles, I can’t recommend my T8 highly enough. The only glitches have been the Sensus software and VoC app which are a bit amateurish compared to the standards of current generation cars. I also have the smaller 50 liter tank which is a pain on the few occasions I do long trips.

From what I gather they introduced an improved ERAD for MY18 and, unless mistaken, I haven’t seen any cases on this forum post MY17. I would also add that we do only one or two long journeys per year so I have done about 50-60 per cent of mileage on full electric. This means my brakes are as good as new, as confirmed in last service. And despite having the smaller 10.4 kWh battery, my lifetime average is 54 mpg. No battery degradation either as range is as good as new: between 14 and 25 miles depending on temperature. You’ll get a bit more with the updated battery but it’s probably not the right car if you spend most of your time on the motorway.
Many thanks for your input, really appreciate it.
Unfortunately I've just read a thread on this forum about an MY22 extended range T8 that has a confirmed ERAD failure
https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showt...=329735&page=2
eugeneville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 20th, 2023, 15:50   #12
eugeneville

So the car that I was supposed to go see today is stuck somewhere on the way to the dealership in Newbury (Waylands).
(They're saying somebody is off sick hence couldn't drive the truck... )

On another note, I've read that the Volvo Cars App has a feature where you could see all your journeys and stats on them...
https://www.volvocars.com/uk/support...volvo-cars-app

At the same time I couldn't find a confirmation that a car has an approved Tracker installed from factory.

I appreciate I might have been assuming too much, but I thought if there is a GPS that records all your journeys that sort of enables the tracker functionality too?
Old Jan 20th, 2023, 16:05   #13
Cull06
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by eugeneville View Post
So the car that I was supposed to go see today is stuck somewhere on the way to the dealership in Newbury (Waylands).
(They're saying somebody is off sick hence couldn't drive the truck... )

On another note, I've read that the Volvo Cars App has a feature where you could see all your journeys and stats on them...
https://www.volvocars.com/uk/support...volvo-cars-app

At the same time I couldn't find a confirmation that a car has an approved Tracker installed from factory.

I appreciate I might have been assuming too much, but I thought if there is a GPS that records all your journeys that sort of enables the tracker functionality too?
Yes you can see journeys made. But no it’s not considered a tracker for insurance purposes.
Old Jan 20th, 2023, 18:20   #14
SnineT
Extrahumanestrial

Quote:
Many thanks for your input, really appreciate it.
Unfortunately I've just read a thread on this forum about an MY22 extended range T8 that has a confirmed ERAD failure
https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showt...=329735&page=2
Follow your gut feeling Euge it's seldom wrong and I wouldn't touch one it's early adopters territory.
SnineT is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to SnineT For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 20th, 2023, 18:40   #15
rhd443

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnineT View Post
Follow your gut feeling Euge it's seldom wrong and I wouldn't touch one it's early adopters territory.
This ^^
rhd443 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to rhd443 For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 23rd, 2023, 10:13   #16
eugeneville

Thank you again very much to all for your input and advice, as always I really appreciate it!

I just had a call from Fawcetts Volvo Newbury (Waylands group) with regards to that very same T8 that I was supposed to see this past Friday.
What they are suggesting is that I take out a finance deal with them (even though I wanted to pay cash and buy it outright) so that I could qualify for the 2 free services and a 2 year warranty.
The person that I've spoken to said that I can cancel (as in settle) after a month and I'd still be eligible for the initial offered deal.
I've never had a car financed before to be frank.

The car is around £43K and the suggested finance is a £40K deposit with just £3000 financed that I can settle in a month's time having only paid for one month's interest. (but surely there are fines for settling early... need to read all the T's and C's)

Last edited by eugeneville; Jan 23rd, 2023 at 10:19.
Old Jan 23rd, 2023, 10:34   #17
Cull06
Master Member

Quote:
Thank you again very much to all for your input and advice, as always I really appreciate it!

I just had a call from Fawcetts Volvo Newbury (Waylands group) with regards to that very same T8 that I was supposed to see this past Friday.
What they are suggesting is that I take out a finance deal with them (even though I wanted to pay cash and buy it outright) so that I could qualify for the 2 free services and a 2 year warranty.
The person that I've spoken to said that I can cancel (as in settle) after a month and I'd still be eligible for the initial offered deal.
I've never had a car financed before to be frank.

The car is around £43K and the suggested finance is a £40K deposit with just £3000 financed that I can settle in a month's time having only paid for one month's interest. (but surely there are fines for settling early... need to read all the T's and C's)
Could be a win-win if you go with the finance

You get the servicing included. Dealer gets the finder’s fee for the finance. All parties happy.

Yes you have to check very carefully the terms and conditions on the early settlement fees if any. But I have done precisely what you are saying in the past and it has worked very well for me indeed.

The other positive about buying on finance is you have additional protections should, worst case, the car be a dud.

Happened with my last car and frankly the only reason in the end that Volvo played ball was because the Ombudsman got involved. Without them I would probably still be in court now…
Old Jan 23rd, 2023, 10:40   #18
eugeneville

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cull06 View Post
Could be a win-win if you go with the finance

You get the servicing included. Dealer gets the finder’s fee for the finance. All parties happy.

Yes you have to check very carefully the terms and conditions on the early settlement fees if any. But I have done precisely what you are saying in the past and it has worked very well for me indeed.

The other positive about buying on finance is you have additional protections should, worst case, the car be a dud.

Happened with my last car and frankly the only reason in the end that Volvo played ball was because the Ombudsman got involved. Without them I would probably still be in court now…
Sound advice, thank you!

I've asked for the price to be reduced as this is what I've always been saying from the beginning to them that my price ceiling is very particular and I can't go above it. He said he'd talk to his boss and would see what they can do.

P.S. Not even sure if I'd get accepted, as I've been "screwed over" by O2 recently. Long story short, I've taken out a contract with them after some persuasion by Virgin Media, cancelled the next day having realised the deal wasn't very good. Even though I've been assured all was indeed cancelled, in reality it wasn't and now my credit history has been affected negatively since I have a missed payment and an account in default.... O2 did apologise and said they would raise an amendment request and have the credit history corrected but that will take 30 working days
Old Jan 23rd, 2023, 11:47   #19
sandys
XC60 T8 Ultimate Dark

It's certainly something I have done in the past to get the incentives but as always check Ts & Cs as there might be a minimum term before you have to pay a penalty.
Old Jan 23rd, 2023, 12:56   #20
Cull06
Master Member

Quote:

P.S. Not even sure if I'd get accepted, as I've been "screwed over" by O2 recently. Long story short, I've taken out a contract with them after some persuasion by Virgin Media, cancelled the next day having realised the deal wasn't very good. Even though I've been assured all was indeed cancelled, in reality it wasn't and now my credit history has been affected negatively since I have a missed payment and an account in default.... O2 did apologise and said they would raise an amendment request and have the credit history corrected but that will take 30 working days
I would be very surprised if that matter had adversely affected your credit rating to the point that you couldn’t do the above.

Both Experian and Money Supermarket offer free ongoing credit checks. Have a look for yourself…