Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General Forum for the SPA-platform 60- and 90-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Buying my first Volvo - XC90 T8 - looking for advice

Views : 5629

Replies : 42

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jan 23rd, 2023, 14:53   #21
eugeneville

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cull06 View Post
I would be very surprised if that matter had adversely affected your credit rating to the point that you couldn’t do the above.

Both Experian and Money Supermarket offer free ongoing credit checks. Have a look for yourself…
And you were very much right sir, as I've been accepted
So I've put down £41K as a deposit and £2740 on finance (they've provided a £250 contribution) and I'm getting two free services (its next service is due in August) and two free years of warranty with any official Volvo dealership for both.

Fingers crossed I've got a good deal (I certainly feel so).
The mileage was always a concern (58K for a 2019 plate) but realizing how somewhat rare these "Pro" spec models are (and its Polestar engineered, Harman Kardon audio as well) and how normally they're outside of my budget, in the end I was happy to go ahead.

However all of this is pending until I see the car and ok the whole deal to go ahead.

Wish me luck gentlemen, I should be seeing the car later in the week
eugeneville is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to eugeneville For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 6th, 2023, 09:42   #22
eugeneville

Thumbs up

Many thanks again for all your help and advice, I really appreciate it!

Here she is

First impressions are really good and the color is imho oh so nice The ride is still on the comfortable side even with 22" rims (my favourite design). Plenty of power on pure electric mode, certainly enough for my rather calm style of driving. Kids loved finding spiders in the back too

A few times the car turned the engine on whilst on Pure going from Reverse to Drive and I believe it's because of it rolling a tad either forwards or backwards.. Not sure yet how to get around this, I imagine using "Auto Hold" should do the trick, but let me know if you have any suggestions.

P.S. Been to the petrol station this morning and maybe it was a faulty fuelling pistol (not sure how to call them) but only after a few seconds of putting the petrol in, the pistol clicked as if the tank was full and right after that petrol started gushing out in large quantities... Tried again, this time just barely depressing the pistol thing and it happened again... Any ideas what might have caused this?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20230202_171158.jpg (102.5 KB, 109 views)
File Type: jpg 20230202_171140.jpg (127.9 KB, 106 views)
The Following User Says Thank You to eugeneville For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 6th, 2023, 10:21   #23
Cull06
Master Member

Stunning mate.

The engine will come on from time to time for a variety of reasons. Nothing to worry about.
Old Feb 6th, 2023, 10:22   #24
sk546
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by eugeneville View Post
P.S. Been to the petrol station this morning and maybe it was a faulty fuelling pistol (not sure how to call them) but only after a few seconds of putting the petrol in, the pistol clicked as if the tank was full and right after that petrol started gushing out in large quantities... Tried again, this time just barely depressing the pistol thing and it happened again... Any ideas what might have caused this?
Lovely looking car!! Is that Thunder Grey?

As for your experience with the fuel filler, you have to make sure the filling nozzle is fully inserted into the filler. T8's fuel tanks are fully sealed during normal operation in order to keep the fuel from going 'off' as they can go for quite long periods between filling.
If the nozzle doesn't go in far enough to open up the fuel tank, you will experience what you have above as all you are filling is the top section of filling pipe down to where the tank closure is.
If you have your filling nozzle fully inserted and this keeps happening, it may require a trip back to the dealer for them to sort it as the tank clearly isn't opening up are designed to allow filling.

Previous - MY20 XC60 T8 Polestar Engineered - Onyx Black - Sensus
sk546 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to sk546 For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 6th, 2023, 10:57   #25
eugeneville

Quote:
Originally Posted by sk546 View Post
Lovely looking car!! Is that Thunder Grey?

As for your experience with the fuel filler, you have to make sure the filling nozzle is fully inserted into the filler. T8's fuel tanks are fully sealed during normal operation in order to keep the fuel from going 'off' as they can go for quite long periods between filling.
If the nozzle doesn't go in far enough to open up the fuel tank, you will experience what you have above as all you are filling is the top section of filling pipe down to where the tank closure is.
If you have your filling nozzle fully inserted and this keeps happening, it may require a trip back to the dealer for them to sort it as the tank clearly isn't opening up are designed to allow filling.
Thank you, yes it's Thunder Grey, color looks stunning and fresh in real life.
Cheers for the tip, I was pretty sure I have pushed it all the way in as I've tried twice, but I will surely give it another go later today.

I am also planning on taking it to a local garage for a general check up of the suspension and other bits to ensure all is indeed well as the Volvo dealership assured me they car went through all the checks and nothing needs immediate attention.
Old Feb 6th, 2023, 13:00   #26
Kugaman1

Beautiful car mate.

Can I just add…..dont cancel the finance after a month, cancel it right now, within 14 days.

That way you will only pay a tiny amount if interest with no cancellation fee or withdrawal fee.

You will still get the free servicing and warranty.

We have done it about 10 times with VW, Seat, Audi and Land Rover. Always cancelled within 2 or 3 days and just paid off the balance. Never ever had the warranty/servicing taken away.

When we bought a Seat, the dealer advised we had to make one payment before cancelling - when I rang the finance company to ask about this, they wanted full details of the salesman, etc as they said that was totally incorrect and they would be addressing the misinformation with the dealer.
Kugaman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Kugaman1 For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 6th, 2023, 13:46   #27
eugeneville

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kugaman1 View Post
Beautiful car mate.

Can I just add…..dont cancel the finance after a month, cancel it right now, within 14 days.

That way you will only pay a tiny amount if interest with no cancellation fee or withdrawal fee.

You will still get the free servicing and warranty.

We have done it about 10 times with VW, Seat, Audi and Land Rover. Always cancelled within 2 or 3 days and just paid off the balance. Never ever had the warranty/servicing taken away.

When we bought a Seat, the dealer advised we had to make one payment before cancelling - when I rang the finance company to ask about this, they wanted full details of the salesman, etc as they said that was totally incorrect and they would be addressing the misinformation with the dealer.
Really appreciate your advice, nice one.
To be frank I've already cancelled it this morning and I've only accrued a daily charge figure of £2.60 (finance was signed on Friday) which is not bad
Old Feb 6th, 2023, 13:50   #28
Kugaman1

Quote:
Really appreciate your advice, nice one.
To be frank I've already cancelled it this morning and I've only accrued a daily charge figure of £2.60 (finance was signed on Friday) which is not bad
Nice one, thats the exact way to play them at their own game.

Weve done it soooo many times, such an easy way to get free servicing!
Kugaman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Kugaman1 For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 6th, 2023, 13:52   #29
sk546
Master Member

Quote:
Thank you, yes it's Thunder Grey, color looks stunning and fresh in real life.
Cheers for the tip, I was pretty sure I have pushed it all the way in as I've tried twice, but I will surely give it another go later today.

I am also planning on taking it to a local garage for a general check up of the suspension and other bits to ensure all is indeed well as the Volvo dealership assured me they car went through all the checks and nothing needs immediate attention.
I too love Thunder Grey, this is mine.

I love that it looks like a different colour depending what light the car is in, superb paint!!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg FB_IMG_1656240600639.jpg (100.9 KB, 23 views)

Previous - MY20 XC60 T8 Polestar Engineered - Onyx Black - Sensus
sk546 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to sk546 For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 16th, 2023, 11:11   #30
eugeneville

I'm am absolutely in love with our new XC90, it doesn't feel any worse than the L405 range rover we've had before. Been driving it mostly on electric and using "Hold" function when on motorways, beautiful car to both look at and drive.

A few questions though

* When on "Pure" and with "Additional Heating" disabled in the menu (as I believe this uses a separate fuel fired heater) cabin doesn't seem to heat up at all. I just drove it this morning with temperatures being around 5 degrees Celsius and after about half an hour of driving it was still blowing cold air even though I had heating set to 24...
I've read that on Pure it takes "longer" to heat up, but in my case it seems it doesn't actually heat up at all, the air it pushes out just remains cold...

* Does everyone's boot lid slam back down at the very end? Mine goes down from opened slowly and gently but at the very end just slams shut. Normally on other cars it tends to close very gently and then sort of "pushes" in a tad more.
Please let me know how it is for you. I can take a video to help show what I mean.

* I have the option of lowering side view mirrors turned on when reversing, but it seems to not save the position I set them to. I.e. if I put the car in reverse and then adjust the mirrors so that they wouldn't point too low it wouldn't save this position. Others are experiencing the same?

Thank you

NB:
* Found this post on the US/Canada Volvo forum... Apparently it is an actual fault with the "the coolant heater used for the climate system":
https://www.swedespeed.com/threads/t...2#post-4617017

* Found this random video:
https://youtu.be/SbMtP_r71qw?t=124
where it shows a boot lid closing and it does it sort of two motions with that gentle pushing in at the very end... That's how I'd expect it to work. However mine just shuts close. Will take a video

Last edited by eugeneville; Feb 16th, 2023 at 11:51.