Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "General Topics" > General Volvo and Motoring Discussions
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

General Volvo and Motoring Discussions This forum is for messages of a general nature about Volvos that are not covered by other forums and other motoring related matters of interest. Users will need to register to post/reply.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Outstanding Finance on purchased car.

Views : 5585

Replies : 62

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Feb 15th, 2023, 08:55   #11
Offgrid
Offgrid camper

Is there a chance you can buy the car from the finance company, and get a refund from the dealer. That should save you some money, and help the finance company. They probably just want their money and don't want the car.
Offgrid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 15th, 2023, 10:13   #12
Bob Meadows
Premier Member

Why not seek some legal advice as to what are your rights:~
By doing so you will remove all the guess work and gain peace of mind, go with the thinking head and not the heart on this one.

A legal approach, knowing your specific rights is good-bad-indifferent? but one that will levelled back at you should further complication develop.
It doesn't necessary mean you have to take legal proceeding at this stage.

Good luck with the purchase but do get the basics right whilst you have a chance.
Bob.
Bob Meadows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 15th, 2023, 12:52   #13
Cull06
Master Member

Could be a genuine error on the dealers part. Probably is, it happens.

Nonetheless. Best to walk away.

Re police involvement. This is going to be a civil matter.
Old Feb 15th, 2023, 13:28   #14
DaveNP
Non VOC Member

I'm inclined to agree with Cull that it's probably a mistake at the dealership rather than something sinister, but knowing there is a question over the finance and rights to the car I wouldn't be accepting it without good proof that the finance has been settled. Unfortunately even if you've acted in good faith the finance company could still come after the car and proving ownership later could be expensive, time consuming and distressing, and all while a bailiff is holding on to the car.
While it may seem to be the one ideal car there are more out there so if necessary walk away, jn the circumstances if you handle it politely and calmly that shouldn't harm your future relationship with them if they're honest. If you paid by bank transfer I wouldn't hold much hope that the Bank will want to intervene, if it was on a Credit Card (even just the deposit) they are involved and should help you.

Idle thought- can one get any sort of indemnity insurance against this sort of thing?, my daughter just bought a house and had to take out an indemnity policy against future expense because the conservatory didn't have provable planning consent.

David
V70 2.5 10v Torslanda Manual 98 Sreg

Last edited by DaveNP; Feb 15th, 2023 at 13:32.
DaveNP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 15th, 2023, 13:43   #15
Cull06
Master Member

If you REALLY like the car and want it, you will be able to clarify with the finance company whether they hold an interest in the vehicle. That’s free and open to the public. You should only need the agreement number and the car reg. you can normally do it on the finance company’s website.

Assuming the trader are playing ball, they should give you both of the above for you to check for yourself.

Like I say. This does happen. But any concerns or faffing from the trader, I would walk away.
Old Feb 15th, 2023, 21:03   #16
Gen_Billy

Thanks you all for contributing to this thread -

The part has arrived and they plan to fixed the outstanding repairs - car will be ready to pick this Friday/Saturday. For the past couple of days I've been chasing the general manager for a clearance letter - its interesting that they don't answer my calls when I call their mobile numbers for an update and they don't respond to my emails either. Only to get hold of them is to contact their calls operator.

Hopefully on pick up all this will be cleared. I'm just worried its not, and I may have to wait even longer. I wont be going to the local bill - seeking legal advise was an option but I didn't want to go down the road of paying for legal advise when the matter could be resolved by the dealer. I just need some patience. I let you all know how it goes. Not asking for a refund at the moment as I really want the car - I be asking for some sort of compensation but I suspect they be so tight they wont offer me anything. Even a curtesy car wasn't available and I asked so many times. Hopefully this nightmare will come to end - will let you all know.
Gen_Billy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 15th, 2023, 21:33   #17
Moomoo
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gen_Billy View Post

The part has arrived and they plan to fixed the outstanding repairs - car will be ready to pick this Friday/Saturday. For the past couple of days I've been chasing the general manager for a clearance letter - its interesting that they don't answer my calls when I call their mobile numbers for an update and they don't respond to my emails either. Only to get hold of them is to contact their calls operator.

Hopefully on pick up all this will be cleared. I'm just worried its not, and I may have to wait even longer. I wont be going to the local bill - seeking legal advise was an option but I didn't want to go down the road of paying for legal advise when the matter could be resolved by the dealer. I just need some patience. I let you all know how it goes. Not asking for a refund at the moment as I really want the car - I be asking for some sort of compensation but I suspect they be so tight they wont offer me anything. Even a curtesy car wasn't available and I asked so many times. Hopefully this nightmare will come to end - will let you all know.

Silence, avoidance and secrecy; the perfect recipe for trust!🤨
Old Feb 15th, 2023, 23:41   #18
Tannaton
Bungling Amateur

If its not sorted I would also ask Volvo for help.

It's not unusual for dealers to borrow to fund their stock and that too can lead to finance markers on used cars.

I don't think it's a criminal matter it would be a civil matter, the police wouldn't do anything unless the owner (finance co) reported it as stolen.
1977 Triumph Spitfire 1500
1976 Massey Ferguson 135
Tannaton is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Tannaton For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 16th, 2023, 08:15   #19
ITSv40
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gen_Billy View Post

You say you need patience. I would have walked weeks ago. When something doesn't seem right, it very rarely is.
ITSv40 is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to ITSv40 For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 16th, 2023, 08:44   #20
S60D5-185
Me ? Surely Not!

Location: 2007 Volvo XC90 D5 Geartronic. South of Hadrians Wall.

As has been previously mentioned, in all probability this is a genuine mistake that can and should be rectified quickly and easily.

The fact that it hasn't and the dealer has apparently been less than forthcoming with resolving the issue, I would have asked for my money back and taken a hike.

There is absolutely no way that I would accept that car until the HPi check shows all clear and you have seen that it does.

About 7 years ago I wanted to buy an expensive motorcycle from a private seller but a check showed finance outstanding.

The seller said that he was aware of this and that it was in hand to clear that.
I got a phone call from the next day advising that the outstanding finance was now clear and the HPi check showed this. I bought the bike.

If there is a desire to rectify the situation it is easy and quick to do.

Why has the dealer not done so and more to the point been more open with you? Non returned calls and emails are a red flag.

Caveat Emptor anyone?

2007 Volvo XC90 D5 SE Geartronic
S60D5-185 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to S60D5-185 For This Useful Post: