Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General Forum for the 850 and P80-platform 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

850 MPGs

Views : 1449

Replies : 18

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Oct 24th, 2003, 08:48   #11
johnt850r

Default RE: 850 MPGs

Similat to Warthog
96 850R, 15K average according to computer 21.8, according to maths ( spot chck over 2K 22.3)

Yikes Warthog we must leave that hooloigan button alone!!!

johnt850r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 24th, 2003, 10:58   #12
liuleichan
Premier Member

>Cheers guys. I'll probably end up with a 2.5 or a 2.0
>something.
>
>Is there a vast difference in performance between a 2.5 and a
>2.0 auto?

Can't speak for the 2.0 - I drive a 2.5 auto. The 2.5 10v seems well suited to the auto box, and for towing - it has lots of low down grunt. Obviously doesn't breathe as well as the 20v at higher revs.

The difference between the 2.5 10v and the 20v, aren't as big as the peak power figures would suggest - if you look at the torque figures, there isn't quite the same gap between them, as there is for other engines in the range.

>What about an LPG conversion? Is it easy to get done
>somewhere? Is it worth it on a £2000 car? (F.Y.I. I'm doing
>about 30k miles a year at my current rate an it's unlikely to
>change)

I've considered it (I drive about 25k miles a year). I was put off by a few things - insurance complexities (you'll probably need to ensure you have the certificates that the insurance company deem a requirement), affects on usage of the car (channel tunnel, and some multi-storey car parks), possible issues from the conversion - reading some of the forums, some people seem to have no end of problems, depending on your selling audience, it may be considered either a benefit, or a complexity - and thus have an impact on residuals - not as clear cut as the LPG promoters would have you believe. There's no guarantee on that the tax breaks will continue for that long.

Obtaining fuel, wouldn't seem to be that problematic any more, many forecourts now supply it. It's becoming more available, which makes you consider the tax situation - the gumment aren't going to allow a hole to appear in their tax revenues.

Ultimately, I think it'll come down to whether the outlay is easily recouped in the fuel bill whilst you keep the car - with 30k miles, depending on how long you keep the car, probably not too much of an issue - will come down to the other aspects, I guess.

Lei Chan
liuleichan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 24th, 2003, 17:36   #13
judgeman

Wow! I don't 'drive like my gran' - neither gran ever learnt to drive!

I am quite frugal on my driving, though I didn't buy a T5 to drive like a 17yo girl in a Micra...

I've always managed to get good MPG from my Volvo's (340 1.4ltr 140K av 33.5mpg, 440 2.0ltr 130k av 37mpg) I've had the T5 for just over 3 months now, motorway driving I have managed 33.6mpg on a 600 mile round trip (about 100 miles non motorway/dual carrigeway). Around town about 25mpg average. I'm currently learning for my advanced driving test, and the technique of car control means that on average I'm getting about 3mpg less than before I started taking lessons. (read into that what you will...)

I can honestly say that having driven both a 2.0ltr and a 2.5ltr V70 on a Volvo launch day a few years back, that the 2.0ltr is a waste of time. Don't get me wrong, the 5 pot 850 engine is fantastic, but there just isn't enough go in the 2.0ltr engine - especially if you have 3 or 4 people in it, luggage, caravan on back etc... The 2.5ltr was a completely different beast, a great drive. Though if you're looking around, then why not consider a T5? You'll get reasonable mpg's (as you can see from other owners), but you'll also get a great, fun car that's a blast to drive.

BTW, mines a '96 model year (N reg) 850 s T5 saloon, 130k

Happy hunting!
judgeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 26th, 2003, 22:35   #14
Will

In my 97 855 T5 I get almost exactly 315 to 330 miles for a full tank which costs £50 whether I am driving a mixture of town and motorway or just motorway - makes no difference - always the same.
Old Oct 27th, 2003, 10:01   #15
Andy Mcl

Just thought I'd add to this, I have a V70 TDi which has been superchipped. I typically get around town 34-35 mpg and on a good run aslong as I cruise at 75 (not often) i get 43 if I do 85 it'll do 40.
But the best bit a Warthog can vouch for mine is not much slower than his T5 Auto.
850 tdi's are better value now and if you are doing 30k per year I would seriously consider a Tdi - they're much quciker than a 2.5 petrol even in standard mode and awesome when tweaked.
Sorry to throw a spanner in the works!!

Cheers Andy
Andy Mcl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 27th, 2003, 12:37   #16
Rhod_TT

Diesel was originally up there on my list but the prices are out of my budget (and a T5 is too really - but the MPG isn't so hot).
I've driven both the 2.0 and 2.5 and the 2.5 seems fine for my needs. So I'm on the lookout for a 2.5 now.

Rhod
Old Oct 31st, 2003, 13:44   #17
mraldonnelly

Definately go for a 2.5. I have a 2l 20v at the moment and you really need to work it hard to keep up. When the revs are high there's a great sound from the engine and the power is OK but you don't want to drive everywhere at 5,000 rpm. Around town I'm lucky to get 25mpg - more like 20mpg to be honest due to working the engine.

I've been trying to get my wife to agree to a T5 on the grounds that economy will ultimately be better (nothing to do with the fun factor). Thank you all for proving my point. I'll be showing her this discussion.
Old Nov 1st, 2003, 07:45   #18
NugentS
Me

I have an S70 2.5 T with an LPG conversion. I had a number of issues with the initiall conversion so got it ripped of and another one put one that I am much happier with - now it just works as it should.

The tax breaks on the gas should be good for a year or two still (as I read the various press statements) despite the bio lobby wingeing.

At 30K miles a year it would be well worth fitting an LPG conversion - the right one and you could probably pay it back in a year.

INsurance isn't really an issue - it can be got around with a little bit of effort - the certificates are obtainable without too much problem.

To my mind the biggest issue is space - where do you put the gas tank.
Donut in spare wheel well is about 70 litres (56 litres of gas) or a lartge tank in the boot (can be 90 litres = 72 litres of gas). The more gas the more range and the less boot space - so it depends on how much boot space you need.

I get about 80 litres of gas which in hot weather does me about 300 miles whereas in cold weather does me about 360 miles

Sean
NugentS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2nd, 2003, 17:08   #19
sholtby
Premier Member

My last car had lpg fitted on it until I ripped it out. Things that I hated about it were

1. It takes ages to fill up with lpg, and you need to do more stops as the economy goes down at least 20% in my experience compared to petrol. Fewer places to fill up also

2. loss of performance

3. backfires that destroy any plastic pipe/airbox in the inlet tract

4. Risk of engine damage. Certain engines dont like LPG.

5. Loss of boot space

6. Stalling, engine hesitation

7. Risk that the guy fitting the system is a cowboy

8. cost of conversion and risk that duty will be increased in the future.

My advice to people looking for good fuel economy is to buy a diesel and to be honest you get good performance with modern engines. The low down torque of a diesel means in the real world they are easier to drive and quicker than a lot of petrol engined cars.
I think the T5 has excellent fuel economy for the size and performance of the car. I usually get about 30 mpg. Before I got my T5 I looked at an Audi S4 and a BMW M5 both of which would average nearer 20 mpg.

Simon
sholtby is offline   Reply With Quote