Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 700/900 Series General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

700/900 Series General Forum for the Volvo 740, 760, 780, 940, 960 & S/V90 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Buying advice please

Views : 1362

Replies : 31

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Feb 11th, 2019, 21:47   #1
Nine40

Default Buying advice please

1993 2.0 wentworth auto estate.

Car has 140,000 miles on it, ive checked the mot history out and it has passed every mot with only advisories being new number plate and front caliper binding (2018) and brakes hoses & headlights ( 2015 ) i assume headlights been sorted as not mentioned since.
There is one problem and the seller says it has a small hole in the turbo?.and shes been driving it like that for a year!! Now my questions are what could it be? Mot is only untill march which i dont think will be a problem. Should i consider buying? Its sub £500 but its a fair few miles away from me and id need to pay for collection.

This is her reply
I’ve got to be honest, I’m not really sure. The mechanic said it’s only small, and could easily be fixed. I have been driving it like that for a year. I can try and find out more information for you if you like. The MOT doesn’t run out until March.

Thanks ..

The first 940 i was considering has overfuelling problem and decided to give it a miss.
Nine40 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Nine40 For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 12th, 2019, 08:23   #2
Forrest
VOC Member

I wouldn’t be inclined to buy it without seeing it. There are some complete wrecks out there. If it is as presented and a failed turbocharger is really the only problem then at under £500 it could still be a good buy. The mileage is quite low and adding the cost of an exchange turbo would still make it a reasonable buy. However, personally I’d want to know why the turbo had failed. I am still driving a 2.0 Wentworth with 263k on the clock and the original, untouched turbo. Premature failure would indicate the possibility of other faults such as a lack of regular oil changes or a cooling system problem. These might take it from bargain to nightmare money pit in short order.
Forrest is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Forrest For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 12th, 2019, 08:40   #3
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

First of all, with no disrespect to the seller, she obviously doesn't have a clue what the problem is. I doubt it is in fact on the turbo itself but it could be. Personally i'd avoid any car with turbo problems - once bitten, twice shy on that!

However, can i ask why you seem to be concentrating on 2.0 models? The 2.3 is much better suited to the car and gives better economy, insurance isn't wildly different (if at all) and i'd hazard a guess the 960 3.0 probably isn't much different on insurance either. Unless you do a lot of town driving, the 3.0 won't be that different on fuel either, probably better on a run than the 2.0.

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 12th, 2019, 10:11   #4
john.wigley
VOC Member since 1986

Sound advice from both 'Laird Scooby' and 'Forrest', 'Nine40'. I would particularly endorse 'Laird Scooby's ' comments regarding the 2.3 motor, and if the vendor would also consider including year's MOT in the price, that should give you a greater degree of confidence in the car.

Regards, John.
Old Feb 12th, 2019, 12:09   #5
Stephen Edwin
Premier Member

Begging pardon but....simples.

Pig in a poke from a stranger.

Could be a multitudinous nest of vipers.

I wouldn't consider it with a barge pole.

And many such metaphors mixed not shaken or stirred.
Stephen Edwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12th, 2019, 12:46   #6
tofufi
Premier Member

I'd be a bit more open-minded than some of the posters above... though I'd personally be after a 2.3.

Are you sure the hole is in the turbo, or could it be in the turbo pipework or intercooler? Easy and cheap to fix if it is in the pipework.
tofufi is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to tofufi For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 12th, 2019, 12:53   #7
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tofufi View Post
I'd be a bit more open-minded than some of the posters above... though I'd personally be after a 2.3.

Are you sure the hole is in the turbo, or could it be in the turbo pipework or intercooler? Easy and cheap to fix if it is in the pipework.
Fair points Jim but i've known sellers who are deliberately vague about "faults" and some who even claim they've had the fault fixed and it has come back with a major defect that then needs a lot of work and/or money to put right. However they've been told by their "mechanic" that it's within limits so is perfectly acceptable.

The hole could be in the exhaust manifold where it meets the turbo - not easy to source a replacement or as you suggest, in the piepwork and/or intercooler.

Too many variables with the potential for needing a replacement turbo as well.

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Old Feb 12th, 2019, 13:27   #8
Nine40

Apparantly there is a hole in the exhaust where the turbo meets the block and they have put tape on it but it leaks exhaust gas.. is that an easy repair? I have a photo of the hole but i cant upload it? The hole is not the exhaust but a large rubber hose attached to turbo..

Last edited by Nine40; Feb 12th, 2019 at 14:01.
Old Feb 12th, 2019, 14:06   #9
Nine40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laird Scooby View Post
First of all, with no disrespect to the seller, she obviously doesn't have a clue what the problem is. I doubt it is in fact on the turbo itself but it could be. Personally i'd avoid any car with turbo problems - once bitten, twice shy on that!

However, can i ask why you seem to be concentrating on 2.0 models? The 2.3 is much better suited to the car and gives better economy, insurance isn't wildly different (if at all) and i'd hazard a guess the 960 3.0 probably isn't much different on insurance either. Unless you do a lot of town driving, the 3.0 won't be that different on fuel either, probably better on a run than the 2.0.
I really only do town driving with most being 30 mile round trip, it appears that the hole is a rubber hose pipe, i have photo from seller,
Old Feb 12th, 2019, 14:18   #10
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nine40 View Post
Apparantly there is a hole in the exhaust where the turbo meets the block and they have put tape on it but it leaks exhaust gas.. is that an easy repair? I have a photo of the hole but i cant upload it? The hole is not the exhaust but a large rubber hose attached to turbo..
Taking that literally and at face value, that's impossible!

Reading between the lines, it sounds horribly like the exhaust manifold is cracked.

However i've just seen the bit about the rubber hose, it won't be exhaust gases getting out from a rubber hose though. If there is something smellt getting out, it suggests it's breathing heavily in which case the engine may need some intensive (and expensive!) repair.

Is it on ebay by any chance? If so a link to it would be helpful, we might be able to read between more lines and perhaps find out what's really wrong with it! At the moment it sounds like a reasonable bet but you'll have to spend some £££ fairly quickly!