Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General

Notices

850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General Forum for the 850 and P80-platform 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

convertible soft roof

Views : 845

Replies : 7

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jun 24th, 2019, 14:55   #1
woolfie1948

Default convertible soft roof

The convertible roof has always worked well but now has started a consistent "ping" sound when closed driving. It is silent when the car is station with the engine running. The is no constant "ping" driving with with the roof open, only the single one to confirm it is fixed.
If the roof is opened then closed it gives one ping only to confirm open or close is fixed.
A few minutes later when driving the constant "ping" starts again.
Any ideas please to silent it?
Jonathan
2003 C70 CONVERTIBLE AUTO 2.0T
woolfie1948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 24th, 2019, 17:00   #2
ASt85
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by woolfie1948 View Post
The convertible roof has always worked well but now has started a consistent "ping" sound when closed driving. It is silent when the car is station with the engine running. The is no constant "ping" driving with with the roof open, only the single one to confirm it is fixed.
If the roof is opened then closed it gives one ping only to confirm open or close is fixed.
A few minutes later when driving the constant "ping" starts again.
Any ideas please to silent it?
Jonathan
2003 C70 CONVERTIBLE AUTO 2.0T
If the hood is locked in either the fully closed or fully open state and the alarm is pinging then the most likely explanation is a faulty micro-switch/sensor (probably one of the locating "brackets" cracked off) - three or four options,
1) get the codes read to identify the faulty sensor/micro-switch or canbus error
2) having found the fault, replace the sensor - if bought from a Volvo dealer many pennies apparently
3) pull the fuse for the "ping" alarm........recommended only as a short term fix
4) contact a breaker for a replacement sensor - "minty" is breaking a C70 rag top at the moment and may have the sensor you are looking for. His mobile number is 07841056796

Cheers
Alan

V70 SE 2004 2.3L T5 Geartronic, C70 2005 2.0T Automatic, Sold 2.4l 20 Valve Automatic Torslander Sold 854 GLT 20v Auto

Last edited by ASt85; Jun 24th, 2019 at 17:04.
ASt85 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ASt85 For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 24th, 2019, 17:45   #3
christheancient
Aged Volvo Lover

Location: A place in mendip-land famous for its cheese - and its gorge

Hmmm...

I had a similar thing happen with my rag top (when I had it). But I don't think what happened with me will be that helpful?

Part way home from doing the shopping, the pinging started.

Then I did the wrong thing! I opened the roof a bit to 'free' the problem and the roof wouldn't even shut! So drove home s-l-o-w-l-y (and one-handed) with my fingers hooked through the gap between the hood and the top of the windscreen to try and stop any further opening. Frozen fingers by the time I got home! So unloaded the shopping.

Luckily, my Volvo indy was just up the road, so drove up there equally gently. And being the great guy he is, he plugged me into his computer. There were a couple of fault codes displayed. But... the codes were not that helpful! Anyway, he used his set up to clear them and we then spent the best part of half-an-hour just opening and closing the roof. Whatever the original fault was, it never reappeared in all the time I had the car. It was just one of those annoying random things.

Sorry, not a lot of help for you, but hopefully, it's just a sensor fault for you.

Our children don't inherit the world from us. We are borrowing it from them.
christheancient is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to christheancient For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 25th, 2019, 00:04   #4
woolfie1948

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASt85 View Post
If the hood is locked in either the fully closed or fully open state and the alarm is pinging then the most likely explanation is a faulty micro-switch/sensor (probably one of the locating "brackets" cracked off) - three or four options,
1) get the codes read to identify the faulty sensor/micro-switch or canbus error
2) having found the fault, replace the sensor - if bought from a Volvo dealer many pennies apparently
3) pull the fuse for the "ping" alarm........recommended only as a short term fix
4) contact a breaker for a replacement sensor - "minty" is breaking a C70 rag top at the moment and may have the sensor you are looking for. His mobile number is 07841056796

Cheers
Alan
Thanks I will start by trying to locate the micro/switches you mention, then try cleaning them. If no luck I will try to get someone to local to read codes.
Thanks
Old Jun 25th, 2019, 14:28   #5
woolfie1948

Quote:

Cheers
Alan
Do you have an idea why the ping only sounds when car is moving, then stops eg. at traffic lights? Is this a clue as to which microswitch is the problem?
Thanks
Old Jun 25th, 2019, 14:36   #6
ASt85
Premier Member

Quote:
Do you have an idea why the ping only sounds when car is moving, then stops eg. at traffic lights? Is this a clue as to which microswitch is the problem?
Thanks
It indicates the roof isn't locked down or locked closed when the car is in motion.
The canbus senses an error if it doesn't receive either of the correct signals so sounds the ping alarm - it acts a fail safe - somewhere in the handbook I think there's a warning words to the effect of "do not drive if the alarm pings".

V70 SE 2004 2.3L T5 Geartronic, C70 2005 2.0T Automatic, Sold 2.4l 20 Valve Automatic Torslander Sold 854 GLT 20v Auto
Old Jun 25th, 2019, 16:38   #7
woolfie1948

Quote:
It indicates the roof isn't locked down or locked closed when the car is in motion.
The canbus senses an error if it doesn't receive either of the correct signals so sounds the ping alarm - it acts a fail safe - somewhere in the handbook I think there's a warning words to the effect of "do not drive if the alarm pings".
Thanks
I think it is confused as it always gives a single ping to confirm full up or down and windows closed.
Sounds like a faulty sensor and I unfortunately need the codes read.
Old Jun 26th, 2019, 12:24   #8
ASt85
Premier Member

Quote:
Thanks
I think it is confused as it always gives a single ping to confirm full up or down and windows closed.
Sounds like a faulty sensor and I unfortunately need the codes read.
The single ping sounds when the open or close sequence has completed - it only pings continuously if the lock in the full up or full down position and hasn't registered as locked or doesn't register the correct canbus signal for the roof control module when the car is moving.

If any of the micro switches are stuck, damaged or out of their correct position the ping alarm will sound continuously if the car is in motion.