Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > Diesel Engines
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

Diesel Engines A forum dedicated to diesel engines fitted to Volvo cars. See the first post in this forum for a list of the diesel engines.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

C30 D5 won't start

Views : 1578

Replies : 12

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jan 30th, 2015, 01:10   #1
D19VDM
VOC Member

Default C30 D5 won't start

I've just finished putting my engine back together on an 07, C30 D5 after the timing belt snapped when the aux belt wrapped itself around it. I sent the head to a company called Motorcast in Shropshire. They were very good and repaired the head and returned it back to me within 7 days while keeping me updated as to the progress of the repair. It had broken the casting on all ten inlet lifters, five exhaust cam caps, one cam follower, the exhaust cam was bent, as was all 20 valves. I've replaced everything on the rebuild with all genuine parts and finally got it completed yesterday. But, the car won't start. I triple checked the engine timing as well as turning the engine by hand before completing the rebuild. All ok. Once rebuilt and the battery recharged just in case I turned the car on and the electric fuel pump runs to prime the system. I've proved that there is diesel to the injectors. I turned it by hand again and there's loads of compression. The car turns over fine but just won't fire. Anyone have any ideas on what's wrong?
D19VDM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30th, 2015, 02:35   #2
cheshired5
Premier Member

Assuming immobiliser warning lights/engine management lights are going out, I'd be checking all main electrical connections and double checking earths, particularly the battery connections if you had it off the car to charge and the starter earth.
Fuel being present doesn't mean that sufficient pressure is being generated so maybe check rail pressure figures too if you have any diagnostics.
Old Jan 30th, 2015, 04:45   #3
KBB
Master Tech

Was the camshaft replaced or are you using the original one?
KBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30th, 2015, 06:18   #4
D19VDM
VOC Member

The exhaust cam had to be replaced. The inlet cam was ok.
Old Jan 31st, 2015, 16:17   #5
KBB
Master Tech

Reason I asked is good few years ago a good mate of mine dealt with same engine type same snapped timing belt scenario. After the rebuild same no starting issue, the problem was eventually traced to the inlet cam where the impact of the piston on one of the inlet valves moved the cam lobe around its shaft to a new position.

This put out the inlet valve timing on one cylinder out. The cam lobes are pressed onto the hollow shaft.
KBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31st, 2015, 16:35   #6
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KBB View Post
Reason I asked is good few years ago a good mate of mine dealt with same engine type same snapped timing belt scenario. After the rebuild same no starting issue, the problem was eventually traced to the inlet cam where the impact of the piston on one of the inlet valves moved the cam lobe around its shaft to a new position.

This put out the inlet valve timing on one cylinder out. The cam lobes are pressed onto the hollow shaft.
Yes i can vouch for that too !
Old Jan 31st, 2015, 19:36   #7
D19VDM
VOC Member

I had it fire and run rough for a few seconds last night but the battery was going down so I put it on charge and went back to it this morning. When I put the battery back on this morning it's back to turning over but not firing. I found number five injector was leaking diesel. I tightened it up and that when it began to fire.
Old Jan 31st, 2015, 19:53   #8
cheshired5
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by D19VDM View Post
I found number five injector was leaking diesel. I tightened it up and that when it began to fire.
Yes, as mentioned earlier, insufficient rail pressure will cause a non start even if you know fuel is present.
Old Feb 1st, 2015, 18:57   #9
D19VDM
VOC Member

What would cause insufficient fuel pressure at the rail?
Old Feb 1st, 2015, 19:00   #10
cheshired5
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by D19VDM View Post
What would cause insufficient fuel pressure at the rail?
Your leaking injector.