Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General

Notices

S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General Forum for the P2-platform S60 / V70 / XC70 / S80 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

MOT Failure - Wheels rubbing - useful info!

Views : 237591

Replies : 85

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Feb 14th, 2014, 14:34   #61
D5meister
Premier Member

Use steel adhesive wheel balance weights behind the bump stops.

they are Approx 15x20mm square.. Clean all foam sticky pad off them.. fit behind the stop to jack it forward by the thickness of the weight.

Drill holes thru them to allow bolts thru..

2 per side of car.

The weights are only ~4mm but do job .

Rub some sludge / dust around the edge of these shims/spacers so they don't get picked up.
D5meister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19th, 2014, 11:42   #62
timh30

My v70 failed on this yesterday. Even though I explained the metal plate being present should not cause it to fail, they were adamant it was a failure. As the retest is free I didn't argue the point too much, so will swap the rubber stops over from side to side to present a fresh face and also put a few washers behind as well.
Old Aug 9th, 2014, 03:35   #63
Night rider

Smile

I have just had the first mot done on my v70, well the first since I've owned it it's a 53 plate, I was worried about the wheels rubbing as it has the volvo 18" wheels 235/40/18 tyres, and the tyres do slightly touch the rubbing plates, but it passed with no advisories,
My advice would be if it fails for this reason question it,
Night rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 22nd, 2014, 07:50   #64
Fulcanelli

Mine passed the MOT with an advisory - the bloke couldn't understand why the wheels were rubbing.

I spoke to the dealer, they said it's a known issue and Volvo had issued spacers to fix it, which just made it even worse.
Fulcanelli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 9th, 2014, 20:16   #65
Redcarlad

Question Wheel spacers and wheel studs

I've read on here about fitting a 5mm spacer or less to compensate for the front wheels rubbing on the bodywork on full lock. I've seen some on flea bay in various sizes but these don't include wheel studs.

If I install a 5mm spacer will I need to have extended wheel studs to compensate ? If so has anyone any suggestions on size and supplier ?

Cheers
Redcarlad is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Redcarlad For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 5th, 2015, 00:57   #66
Marty Dolomite
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darren Hall View Post
there is an advisory on the voisa data base regarding this issue. The garage should have picked this up!!! i would go back to them and challange the faliure!!
As if the tester is meant to memorise everything that VOSA issue an update or amendment about.
Marty Dolomite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 5th, 2015, 08:56   #67
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty Dolomite View Post
As if the tester is meant to memorise everything that VOSA issue an update or amendment about.
Yes they are actualy , I knew just about every word of the testers manual when i was doing MOT's for 15 years ..
You can't remember all the details of bulletins etc of course but you are expected to remember the general content or problems so that when a problem comes up you can go and refer to the bulletins for the fine details .
Old Jul 22nd, 2015, 15:10   #68
old onions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clan View Post
It isnt just volvo which have this feature , Morgan sports cars have had an alluminium block on the chassis for the tyres to rub on for decades .
That is why we Morgan owners look out for "sympathetic" MoT testing stations. I have educated my local outfit over the years, but the testers come and go , so you end up starting out all over again.

2006 V70 SE 2.4 Manual
old onions is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 22nd, 2016, 15:28   #69
CLIVERALLY
Master Member

I am an mot tester. The tester who failed this obviously is not aware of the old vehicle spe cific information which was part of the mot smart system . sadly this has been removed, however DVSA will still have a copy
This information gave clear guidance to testers re anomalies of testing certain vehicles ..ours included. It should have passed with up to 17". And fouling of the arch liner is permitted. I cannot account for 18" but if they were supplied by Volvo then take your car elsewhere and don't use the garage again

"Lets turn up the juice and see what shakes loose"
CLIVERALLY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 22nd, 2016, 17:39   #70
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CLIVERALLY View Post
I am an mot tester. The tester who failed this obviously is not aware of the old vehicle spe cific information which was part of the mot smart system . sadly this has been removed, however DVSA will still have a copy
This information gave clear guidance to testers re anomalies of testing certain vehicles ..ours included. It should have passed with up to 17". And fouling of the arch liner is permitted. I cannot account for 18" but if they were supplied by Volvo then take your car elsewhere and don't use the garage again
The information is still there in the tester's Manual : where it has been since at least 1976 when i first read it . Fouling of the arch liner isn't permitted , There is a metal plate there to prevent the arch liner being directly rubbed . Just as there is an alluminium block on the Morgan Chassis member for the tyre to rub on ..

Note: Some vehicles have lock stops comprising rubbing pads on the body that the front tyres may contact on a full lock. These are acceptable if they are properly maintained so that they do not damage the tyres.