Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 700/900 Series General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

700/900 Series General Forum for the Volvo 740, 760, 780, 940, 960 & S/V90 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Sigma Key fob crisis

Views : 1544

Replies : 6

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jun 21st, 2005, 22:02   #1
Steven

Default Sigma Key fob crisis

Hello every one, this question may repeat earlier, but I cannot find an answer.
We have 1993 960 estate, problem is that the Sigma brand key fob which was working fine, started to work intermittently then not at all. We can still get in the car via key in door & central locking.

Using All of my technical skill to its utmost limit, I changed the 2 batteries in the key fob but to no avail. Noticed now which I did not notice before a tiny red light flashes 3 times on the fob when the button is pressed ( it is single button operation).

Whole alarm system is Sigma but I cannot find a web site for them and have no manual.

Although this is not too much of a serious problem, the crisis is that this is my wife's car and any faults it may develop have obviously been caused entierly by me!

Therefore would be VERY gratefull for any information

Thanks in anticipation
Steven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 22nd, 2005, 00:19   #2
Peter Milnes
Premier Member

Default RE: Sigma Key fob crisis

That is the worst thing about after-market items like alarms. There was an option to have a full VolvoGuard system fitted to your car from factory. I can only suggest you look for the Sigma website (Google search) and contact them from there. They should be willing to help you with your problem. I assume that you refitted the batteries in the correct polarity.

All the best, Peter.
Peter Milnes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 23rd, 2005, 14:10   #3
SimonC

try: sigmacaralarms.com

cheers Simon
Old Jun 23rd, 2005, 21:47   #4
Steven

Thanks both of you, I'll have a go and report back (eventually!)
Old Jun 26th, 2005, 21:02   #5
Steven

Oh dear.

The phone no. on the sigma web site is unobtainable.

Got a phone no from directory enquiries, but a lot of waiting, listening to music, being passed to "The right department" etc etc. Eventually I was told that they dont deal with "end users". In other words half wits like me.
Went and had a lie down in a darkened room.
Tried again later and ended up speaking to a technician in Sheffield who told me that a new key fob is £45 plus Vat, but if I bought that and it turned out that the main unit of the alarm is at fault then I have lost £45 plus VAT.

I think this is a dead end. Such is life.
Old Jul 2nd, 2005, 20:12   #6
turboboy
Master Member

I had a problem with my Sigma system (on my BMW) and found the manufacturer's website and from there directed to a local agent/installer who was very helpful and knowledgeable. Problem is that I cannot now find the manufacturer's site to give you the address.

If this is of any use the Sigma is manufactured by Secure Microsystems Ltd. who are part of the same group as Toad alarms.

You could try a search on "Secure Microsystems Ltd." or "Toad Innovations Ltd." These are all part of the same group as Sigma.

This was only two or three months ago so should still be on the web somewhere.

Hope this helps.

Current: 1998 Volvo V70 2.3 T5 Auto.

Previous: 2000 Volvo V40 T4; 1981/2 265 (x2); 1988 740 Turbo Estate.
turboboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 3rd, 2005, 17:54   #7
imac
Premier Member

We also had a problem with a Sigma alarm fitted to one of our T5's. The fob started functioning incorrectly as in the OP's case. We had the fob replaced by a Sigma agent and now it works intermittantly and the fob has to be placed right up against the glass.

If we just use the key, it will only deactivate alarm 1 (Volvo) so when you enter the car the alarm 2 (Sigma) will sound!